Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Rev4 test results (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30398-rev4-test-results.html)

Intolerant1 08-07-2002 02:33 AM

Rev4 test results

Ok, my boat is heavy and underpowered. After testing numerous 3 blade props including Mirage+, Michigan Wheel Raker, and some others, I found a fair price here on the OSO classifieds on a Rev4. I was looking for bow lift and most everyone advised against 4 blades as they generally give stern lift. My problem is that my boat is fairly heavy for a single engine setup. Its a 92 26' Liberator. All the three blade props blew out at anything slightly more than positive trim. I also could not get any better than 15% slip with any of the three blades. I bought the Rev4 thinking that it would hold better allowing me to "get more trim" :D Everything worked as planned. My top speed is exactly the same with the Rev4 same pitch as the three blades I had tested. My RPM is down about 500 though. Slip has dropped from 15% to 7%. I can trim drive quite a bit higher before blowing it out and it holds in the corners at a much higher trim. The whole boat just feels completely different. It definitley has more stern lift as well and just feels like its finally loosened up a bit. Ride is better as well. It now will hold the hull up coming over a wave or wake. If you have a heavy single engine boat and cant turn a Bravo, give one of these a test drive. Now I have an excuse for those square port heads and exhaust upgrades this winter. I get that Rev4 spinning 500rpm faster and Ill be right where I hoped to be.

Indy 08-07-2002 08:27 AM

I've heard some great things about the props and can't wait to try one on my boat. Powerboat did a test on props last year and the Rev4 got very good results, better than most of the other props in the test.

Milord 08-07-2002 10:56 AM

Chris thanks for posting the results. My boat drags it's ass more than yours I'm sure being 2 feet shorter with twins. Maybe this is what I need to get the ass out of the water. Classified shopping I go. :D

Niuhi 08-07-2002 12:40 PM

I'm like Milord, I really don't want anymore bow lift, If I get anymore the thing will take off. That's why I went with the Hydromotive; for the stern lift. You have the newer style hull though, don't you?

How did the trim modification work out for you? I was going to do it to mine, but I just haven't had enough time to do so.

Les

Intolerant1 08-07-2002 12:48 PM

I saw no difference with the trim tab mod. I may try taking them off. The way they are mounted I think they drag a little. Yes, mine is the "newer" style hull. Im really happy as the wife and i had decided to keep this boat awhile longer with the understanding that it gets new paint/graphics as well as heads and a cam. ABout $5k into the boat vs an additional $40k to upgrade to somthing newer. That should keep my happy for now. I see the doc on Monday to schedule my fusion surgery so everything will be going on hold shortly. Damn near time for me to winterize :(