Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the deal with this internet terrorist attack warning issued by Italy? >

What's the deal with this internet terrorist attack warning issued by Italy?

Notices

What's the deal with this internet terrorist attack warning issued by Italy?

Old 08-07-2002, 04:28 PM
LadySunseeker

Default What's the deal with this internet terrorist attack warning issued by Italy?

Italy issued a world-wide warning regarding an internet terrorist attack last night on the news. It stated that they were going after servers, and a 1 percent slowdown was detected on the internet as of last night.

Brendan just contacted me to let me know that all of our sites were running slowly, but the mother server in Georgia assured him that it wasn't so? Hmmm.

Anyone else hear anything about this?

Best regards,
Jennifer

Old 08-07-2002, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the business, and haven't heard a word. Italy is not exactly what I would consider the center of the internet world, either.... lots of FUD on the 'Net these days.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:48 PM
LadySunseeker

Originally posted by dockrocker
I'm in the business, and haven't heard a word. Italy is not exactly what I would consider the center of the internet world, either.... lots of FUD on the 'Net these days.
What does FUD mean?

I know Italy isn't the center of the internet world, but there is a rather large Al Queda cell there in Milan. It was on World News Tonight with Peter Jennings I believe. Who knows?

My computer is slow, but that's because the virus damaged my ActiveX controls and my hard drive. Something keeps writing to it??? Whatever.

Best regards,
Jennifer

Old 08-07-2002, 05:03 PM
Registered

Jennifer,

FUD = Fear Uncertainty and Doubt - sorry bout the jargon

I checked Foxnews, nothing there, and bounced this off some of the guys here in the office that deal with our web services - none of them have heard anything.

www.news.com (CNet) had nothing on this. Infoworld had this blurb: http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn...hnttraffic.xml

Sounds like "much ado about nothing", to quote the Bard....
Old 08-07-2002, 05:14 PM
LadySunseeker

Thank you dockrocker. I was beginning to believe I was having "another" hallucination.

I really appreciate your researching the matter for me. Thank you.

Jennifer

Old 08-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Registered

Like I said, I'm in "the business" (though not directly in the public web hosting area any more).

Infoworld and Cnet are usually good sources for this type of thing; a lot of IT news tends to fly under the radar of the Foxnews and CNN types. Not enough pretty pictures, I guess.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:33 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Default Internet Attack

This subject was brought forth yesterday on CNN and repeated today on CNN and CBS news.
Both reported no related problems have been reported.

Oh..Jennifer, did you have to re-format your hard drive because of the K-virus???

Take care..

marc
Old 08-07-2002, 05:46 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

my hosting machin is actually in a server farm in georgia.

I am in NY and control it via remote sessions.

My session were runngin DIRT slow all day. So where the sites i host along with several major web site like paypal.com.

I contacted my network guy at eth server farm and he checked it otu from other areas and it ran perfectly fine, nice and speedy.

It seem UUnet (backbone provider owned by worldcom) has been having some issues all day and thier network has been running VERY SLOW. I doubt this is due to any terrorist activities.
But if you connect to any servers through the UUnet backbones they are going to be slow.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Registered

puder, that makes sense - my connection at work is through Worldcom, and it was a bit on the slow side. Of course, we've just installed new firewalls, and they're not *quite* tuned yet, if you know what I mean
Old 08-08-2002, 09:27 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Ouch!

Originally posted by puder
my hosting machin....My session were runngin DIRT slow all day. So where the sites i host along with several major web site like paypal.com....I contacted my network guy at eth server farm and he checked it otu from other areas and it ran perfectly fine, nice and speedy....
I don't know, Jen. There must be some truth to this threat - something has screwed up puder's spellin'......

Quick Reply: What's the deal with this internet terrorist attack warning issued by Italy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.