Notices

I survived a Tsunami

Old 07-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I survived a Tsunami

At least it seemed like one......

Sunday we were rafting with about 20 boats at Lake Perry.

The TFLB crew, Funhome and crew, Gordo & H2o Cowgirl, 283Check and Mrs 283Check, Mickey Britain and Mick's Sungirl, Tan~kei and the Mrs., Liquid Lounge was about 2 klicks away and several more.

We looked over the jetty and saw a storm brewing in the south and thjought we should prolly head out soon. Well we waited prolly a little to long to break apart.

I left first and went around the jetty under the bridge and all's I saw was a wall of rain bearing down on me.....I knew we would be able to make a run for it so I went towards a small cove and luckily I had left my anchor attached to the front of the boatI threw it overboard just as the rain and the wind hit.

I went for my top but the wind was intense and me and Lake Chic could not handle it. I instructed her to get in the cuddy and I stayed out to make sure that we weren,t headed for the rocks. I had her put on a life jacket and had her hand me one ( this is a first). We were in a wind shear or a micro burst and I'm here to tell you this is as scared as I have ever been in a boat.

The lake looked like 4-6' rollers about 10' feet apart moving very fast with intense wind and raining so hard it stung during the shear. My wife said get in here and I told her that I couldn't because the anchor would not hold us in this wind, it just slowed us down. I had to make sure we didn't drift into the rocks.

On top of the bridge I had just went under, someone was towing a aprox 24" pontoon and the wind blew it off the trailer onto the bridge.

Once the wind had subsided a little we fought with the top....got some of it hooked up and held onto other parts.

I was very fortunate to have left my anchor hooked to the front (which I never do) that way my nose was into the wind had I just grabbed it and tied it on the rear or the side the wind would have surely put us in the rocks. It seemed like an hour but I'm sure it was all over in about 15 minutes.

The rest of the gang had stayed on the other side of thr jetty and it was no picnic but I think they got a break from the waves and some of the wind.

The moral of the story I guess is: allways respect mother nature.

I guess the man (or woman) upstairs
was looking out for us.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

Oh yeah........the day got better when after drying out and boating some more (allmost having the lake to ourselves) I got to the ramp and saw Funhome's Chevy one ton with the Fountain on the trailer spinning his wheels on the ramp.......so I jumped in my FORD Bronco with my trailer attached and pulled him up the ramp....I told him just to leave it nuetral but he didn't think it was fuuny.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:27 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Brad
Buy a Ford next time.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That could be quite a humbling experience.
Glad you guys mad it out okay...It's not fun sitting through one of those fast-moving storms.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:53 PM
283CHECK

Default We were there

And let me tell you it was not fun at all. Luckily for us we didn't make it past the bridge! That and with Gordo,Mickey,Pat and Funhome within what little visibility I felt good having experinced boaters out there! Only thing is I couldn't get Miss 283Check to get into the cuddy She kept sayin this is our boat and I'm in it with you!! Oh well we dried out and enjoyed the run back.. BTW I will never cuss that windshield I have hated for so long again...

Last edited by 283CHECK; 07-30-2002 at 01:56 PM.

Old 07-30-2002, 02:15 PM
Registered

Default Holy Crap Man

Geesh What a fun afternoon of boating. Glad we were at LOTO. And Yes the Pole made its return. It didnt have quite the reception it had on Memorial Day but was good to see it being put to good use.

I think we have found a new form of excersize. You think we can sell copies like Billy Blank did with his video. ?

TFLB and gang we are glad you all survived. We have been caught on the lake in bad reinstorms but the one you were in sounded pretty scarey.

PHEW
Old 07-30-2002, 03:06 PM
Registered

Lutz!!! The pole didn't have quite the reception??? Hell, it had a Moose on it this time, what could be better than that?????

I've been on Lake Perry a few times, used to boat there when I lived in Overland Park...can't even imagine waves and wind like that on that lake...can't even picture it...

Glad everyone was ok!!!

WM
Old 07-30-2002, 03:43 PM
liquid lounge

I don't know what was worse; trying to set my anchor for 4 hours before the storm [w/TFLB checking on me about every 1/2 hr] or listenining to my wife durinig a microburst. The strangest thing of all was for about 30 seconds, the water was nearly waveless with the rain flying horizontally very hard....it felt like I had a running shop vac over my mouth...very difficult to breath. Definitley the worst weather I'd been in. Lost a stereo, cell phone, and my wallet is still wet. I don't think anyone at the lake was hurt, so it will be one of those great expanding [w/every beer] tales for years to come.

Old 07-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Mrs 283Check

CUDDY! I don't need no stinking cuddy Besides then I couldn't see what was going on. It was one of those things I think you had to see to believe. I was just glad to see that everyone in our group made it through it all right.

Old 07-30-2002, 05:55 PM
Banned

Default Yesterday

Yesterday I was coming from Orlando back to St Pete. I heard on the radio a bad storm with tornados was south of us and headed north. I got out my camera in case I got a shot at a tornado or water spout. Just as I was about to get on the Howard Franklin Bridge to cross Tampa Bay, I got the leading edge of the storm.
Attached Thumbnails I survived a Tsunami-untitled-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: I survived a Tsunami

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.