Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bravo 1, Hydromotive, or revolution 4 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/304864-bravo-1-hydromotive-revolution-4-a.html)

ealesh33 11-01-2013 12:51 PM

Bravo 1, Hydromotive, or revolution 4

Hey guys I have a 1992 24 Outlaw that I am dropping a gen 6 502 with 530-550hp into, has a bravo 1 drive. I have looked into these 3 props as from what I am reading and information I have gathered these would be the ones to choose from.

Information I have been told.
Bravo 1 - To work the best would need to be labbed finished, being labbed correctly would give a little more bow lift then out of the box, and will probably give me the best performance all around. Was told the only downfall of a labbed prop is i MAY lose a little mid range, he stressed MAY.

Hydromotive - A Quad 4 cut down to 14 3/4 diameter would boost all range performance, however doesn't give too much bow lift that the Outlaw's typically like. But with th horsepower numbers I may not need the prop to do that, as the motor has enough power to get the boat out of the water.

Revolution 4 - Good 4 blade for the outlaws out of the box because they are cut to give more bow lift then say the bravo 1 or hydromotive out of the box. Was told they perform very well as a non labbed finished option. So basically if I don't want to alter a prop, and just want an out of the box prop that works well this one is the ticket.

I am probably looking at a 24 or 25 pitch to work best with my application.

Has anyone ran these props, if so what were your experiences, and what was the set up they were on? Any other input would be great as well

FIXX 11-01-2013 01:35 PM

mirage plus..

Sabres Fan 11-01-2013 01:50 PM

I had a 92' Outlaw with an HP500. I ended up spinning the Hydro 4 blade 24 pitch. (non labbed) Best overall performance for my set up. I tried all the props you mentioned. Boat was a little more stable with the Bravo 4 blade but I was not getting the top end speed. Hydromotive ran 74mph at 5200rpm all day.

Hook'em 11-01-2013 02:13 PM

Engine power has nothing to do with the boats attitude in the water. Your drive is deep (if stock) and will run best with a labbed Mirage Plus 3 blade. The only way to run with less wetted surface is to carry the bow (lots of cup in the prop). None of the four blades will carry the bow on your boat like the "double cupped" M+. We just ran this experiment last month. I sent my prop to a friend in Ky with an "identical" boat and power. He gained 7 MPH running my labbed M+ vs his stock M+, and couldn't believe the mid range punch and how much different it ran ie lots of bow lift.

Revelocity 11-01-2013 03:08 PM

Ditto on Mirage Plus. The Revolution was not around when I owned a 24' Outlaw but the Mirage Plus tested better then the Bravo and Hydro.

Hook'em - who labbed your Mirage Plus?

Hook'em 11-01-2013 03:26 PM

It's a freak hybrid (houston propeller). Bblades did the work. It actually just got back home yesterday from Bblades. My buddy sent it back to Brett so he could map it and reproduce it for him. One of the biggest "adjustments" in addition to rake, cup and pitch is diameter. Mine is cut down 5/8 of an inch to 14.

ealesh33 11-01-2013 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hook'em (Post 4020413)
Engine power has nothing to do with the boats attitude in the water. Your drive is deep (if stock) and will run best with a labbed Mirage Plus 3 blade. The only way to run with less wetted surface is to carry the bow (lots of cup in the prop). None of the four blades will carry the bow on your boat like the "double cupped" M+. We just ran this experiment last month. I sent my prop to a friend in Ky with an "identical" boat and power. He gained 7 MPH running my labbed M+ vs his stock M+, and couldn't believe the mid range punch and how much different it ran ie lots of bow lift.

I would have to argue that engine power has something to do with it. Every prop guy I have talked to definitely introduced many things on one prop vs the other, but they all said a 4 blade would give the best all around performance.. I am not concerned with top end as long as I am not losing more then a couple mph up top. I may run my boat wide open once or twice on a day trip. A 4 blade typically gives you better hole shot, and mid range along with better fuel mileage. Lots of bow lift makes for a less desirable ride as well, as the boat bounces more. I would rather keep the bow more under control then go a few mph faster. I am more interested in cruising at 50mph then running top end at 76mph vs. 73mph. That is very impressive to gain 7mph with just labbing a prop. Also why can't you just cup a 4 blade to gain more bow lift?

ealesh33 11-01-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sabres Fan (Post 4020399)
I had a 92' Outlaw with an HP500. I ended up spinning the Hydro 4 blade 24 pitch. (non labbed) Best overall performance for my set up. I tried all the props you mentioned. Boat was a little more stable with the Bravo 4 blade but I was not getting the top end speed. Hydromotive ran 74mph at 5200rpm all day.

Thats a really good speed from an hp500 in a 24 outlaw with just a out of the box 4 blade. What prop came factory? and what did it run 72 ish stock?

Hook'em 11-01-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ealesh33 (Post 4020429)
I would have to argue that engine power has something to do with it. Every prop guy I have talked to definitely introduced many things on one prop vs the other, but they all said a 4 blade would give the best all around performance.. I am not concerned with top end as long as I am not losing more then a couple mph up top. I may run my boat wide open once or twice on a day trip. A 4 blade typically gives you better hole shot, and mid range along with better fuel mileage. Lots of bow lift makes for a less desirable ride as well, as the boat bounces more. I would rather keep the bow more under control then go a few mph faster. I am more interested in cruising at 50mph then running top end at 76mph vs. 73mph. That is very impressive to gain 7mph with just labbing a prop. Also why can't you just cup a 4 blade to gain more bow lift?

It's ok, we can disagree. HP definately has plenty to do with how you prop a boat. But it has nothing to do with how the boat runs in the water. OP comment was "wasn't so worried about......because of the HP you've got." That's the basis for my comment.

You can cup a 4 blade for bow lift, but when it's trying to lift the stern to begin with, the results aren't the same.

Mine isn't just about WOT either. I hardly ever run WFO. But it will out perform a 4 blade in every catigory you listed AFTER the lab job. My slip number WFO is less than 12%. Throttle response is awesome all the way thru. It's hard to have this discussion online, everyone has their own experience. I've been running this boat for 13 years and had "a few" props on her LMAO.

Edit: BTW carrying the bow doesn't make the boat ride chitty or porpoise if you know how to trim properly FWIW.

ealesh33 11-01-2013 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hook'em (Post 4020436)
It's ok, we can disagree. HP definately has plenty to do with how you prop a boat. But it has nothing to do with how the boat runs in the water. OP's comment was he "wasn't so worried about......because of the HP he's got." That's the basis for my comment.

You can cup a 4 blade for bow lift, but when it's trying to lift the stern to begin with, the results aren't the same.

Mine isn't just about WOT either. I hardly ever run WFO. But it will out perform a 4 blade in every catigory you listed AFTER the lab job. My slip number WFO is less than 12%. Throttle response is awesome all the way thru. It's hard to have this discussion online, everyone has their own experience. I've been running this boat for 13 years and had "a few" props on her LMAO.

Yes but your baja boss is a different hull then the outlaw as well, and heavier. I don't dissagree that the baja's like bow lift, yes the drive is deep, and I heard you can pick up some good performance from raising it or doing a shorty drive. Even though a 3 blade induces bow lift, its not like a 4 blade just pushes straight up on the stern. The theory would be is with enough power the 4 blade may not lift the bow like a 3 blade, but will lift enough of the boat to give it enough lift for performance numbers. I have read alot about 4 blades providing a better more stable ride also. The comment I made with the HP being enough to not need the prop alone to give bow lift came directly from the tech who does the hydromotive props. My buddy who owns the marine shop said the same thing that the outlaws don't like a 4 blade prop until you get 500hp or more. I don't have the experience you do by any means, as this is my first time shopping for a prop, but I do like to understand why things work the way they do, so forgive me for questioning you.