Engine builders check in!!!  Supercharging 454's >

Engine builders check in!!! Supercharging 454's

Notices

Engine builders check in!!! Supercharging 454's

Old 08-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine builders check in!!! Supercharging 454's

I originally posted this on the tech board, but not enough input, so here goes again:

Last year I replaced gen IV 454/425's with new gen VI 454/425's. They don't seem to have quite the bump I wanted, but are definitely adequate. (Have gotten mid 70's gps.)

The new motors are the 454HO crate motors from GM performance. They have hydraulic roller lifters, and compression is 8.75:1. Heads are cast iron rectangular port 118cc.

I am toying with the idea of supercharging them. I don't want to destroy the motors, and I thought a slower turning larger blower might be the way to do it. (420 Megablower, 8-71 Weiand, etc. at 80%)

I have two questions:

1) should I supercharge these motors at all? If so, what if anything would I need to change inside the motor.

2) what kind of blower/setup would you suggest?
Old 08-08-2002, 08:40 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you coudl use smaller blowers and turn them at normal speed and make good power. My engine dynoed at 540hp witha b&m 174 making 5psi of boost. It was biult on a 454mag. Iconel exhaust valves, slightly hotter cam than a 525sc. WIth only 5psi boost it shoudl run for quieta while and be pretty reliable.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

If nobody else responds and you REALLY want honest answers to your questions about a blower set up call Bruce Wolff. He usually doesn't mind helping people get started in the right direction and the guy is gifted at tuning stuff and getting it dialed in. 616-422-1090
Old 08-08-2002, 09:36 PM
flylevel

I'm leaning toward a whipple charger on a 502 block. EFI is a must, good set of headers. Going to try and follow the 575sc setup with a little more mid range torque. Should end up around 650 hp. But a friend of mine keeps reminding me that there is no substitution for cubic dollars(oops cubic inches)

Old 08-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Registered

Kaama,

Just an observation, but you are really pushing Bruce in alot of your responses. Not that it is bad, but almost too much. I know that he has contributed alot to this board and has alot to offer.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Registered

Is this the same Bruce that everyone had trouble with like Kook and Dave? I don't mind if it is, but I WOULD want to know.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bruce did a great job of dialing in my Whipples. He spent alot of time putting the boat in the water to find the right setup. He understands blowers and how to make them work. Other guys just foul plugs and scratch their heads. Thats what I was doing before he was recommended to me. He doesn't have a problem letting you know what he thinks either. Good luck with it.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:02 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

The "Bruce" that I am refering to is NOT Bruce Dudley who has been on this board in the past and lives in MO. The "Bruce" I am talking about is Bruce Wolff, a marine engine builder who's shop is in S.W. Michigan and is not a member of this forum. I know---I guess I sound like a broken recording and have been mentioning his name a lot, but so many people come on here and ask questions and are looking for answers and really want a straight answer. Not that others on this board or outside of this forum can't help a person out with their knowledge and experience, but if these people really have a problem that they are serious about and really need an answer, I guess I'm only trying to be helpful by suggesting a person who does this stuff professionally and who is good at it. I have also mentioned "Doctor Dave" (OSO board member). Not that someone else can't help them, but I personally know these guys, therefore I guess it makes it too easy for me to mention their name.

Quiet Storm, are you the guy with the 28' Checkmate that took his boat to Wolff?
Old 08-09-2002, 04:31 AM
Registered

if I were you I would go for:
8.71 charger
charger cam
msd boost retard electronics ( a must)

I can make a detailed list of components ;necessary for adding a blower with part numbers,if you are interested .

note: I am not a professional engine builder
Old 08-09-2002, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kaama,

Thats me.

Quick Reply: Engine builders check in!!! Supercharging 454's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.