WarPaint hit a channel marker >

WarPaint hit a channel marker

Notices

WarPaint hit a channel marker

Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

It is remarkable that that there was not more damage, I am glad that they are OK, look at the size of one these channel markers. Those guys have been racing a long time, they know what they are doing, accidents happen, but that is the first time I ever remember an offshore race boat running over a US Coast Channel Marker. If you can't see where you are going due to getting washed down by the other boat(s) rooster tail then it would be tough to see what is in front of you.
Attached Thumbnails WarPaint hit a channel marker-bigbuoy.jpg   WarPaint hit a channel marker-buoysize.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 11-09-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
It is remarkable that that there was not more damage, I am glad that they are OK, look at the size of one these channel markers. Those guys have been racing a long time, they know what they are doing, accidents happen, but that is the first time I ever remember an offshore race boat running over a US Coast Channel Marker. If you can't see where you are going due to getting washed down by the other boat(s) rooster tail then it would be tough to see what is in front of you.
Damn those are huge!!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Geico would have kept going....
Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Marc: "WE JUST HIT SOMETHING! BIG"
Scotty: "and???.....motors are still running and the props are turning - GO,GO,GO!"

Sad news for the Warpaint team to be taken out like that - hard lick to take! Seeing the damage must have been gut wrenching. Actually surprised it did do more damage to the hull than what was shown
Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What had me scratching my head about this when I saw it happen live, was who in their right mind would define a start area with an obstacle like that right in the middle. With all the spray that is always there, especially at the start, it was a matter of time before someone hit it. IMHO this would be like putting telephone poles in the middle of a Nascar or F1 race course start line..DUH!!

Luckily someone wised up and moved the start area away from the markers as of Race 1 today (Sunday)!!

Dave
Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Marc: "WE JUST HIT SOMETHING! BIG"
Scotty: "and???.....motors are still running and the props are turning - GO,GO,GO!"

Sad news for the Warpaint team to be taken out like that - hard lick to take! Seeing the damage must have been gut wrenching. Actually surprised it did do more damage to the hull than what was shown
Yeah, thats a classic like this Geico video! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRuB2i0aW0

Marc: Go, Go, Go
Marc: Uh oh, we've got no steering.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

An off the topic question;
Do the throttle men help when making turns by adding speed to one motor and lying back on the second?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

CG guy I spoke with estimated the Marker at 2k lbs above water and 3k concrete below,
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
CG guy I spoke with estimated the Marker at 2k lbs above water and 3k concrete below,
I was wondering what it weighed, I asked a Coast Guard serviceman in Cape May yesterday, and he wasn't sure. Thank you for the post, I had been wondering since I saw the pictures Warpaint driving over the buoy/channel marker.

Last edited by Smarty; 11-10-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was also about an 8' long session of the hull missing, and they were taking on lots of water. The boat had very heavy damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.