Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Does anyone not have boat insurance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/305181-does-anyone-not-have-boat-insurance.html)

Velocity Tom 11-09-2013 03:29 PM

Does anyone not have boat insurance

I'm looking at a older cat and can not get it insured. Just wondering how many people have said screw it and don't have insurance. Its not a $1000000 MTI its a 25k 30 ft cat with outboards. I could see $800-$1200 but I got quotes for $3700 and more

US1 Fountain 11-09-2013 03:52 PM

Not worth the risk if you ask me. It's not about covering my loss, it's about the chance of hitting someone else and causing injury

Jupiter Sunsation 11-09-2013 04:09 PM

I have a buddy with a 42 Fountain (he has bought 3 Fountains new) who never had insurance on any of them. He buys all his boats outright and just figures the money he loses on ownership is bad enough, add insurance (insane Florida rates) it just makes the cost to own even more painful. In 15 years he probably has saved 60-75K+.....

buck183 11-09-2013 04:25 PM

How can you get away with it? Where I come from its not a choice. You have to have insurance in my state to tag the boat. I do boat on other states, but those states require insurance to operate on their waters too. I get stopped by WP and can't prove insurance, no bueno.

I'm confused as to how one even gets to have the choice.

Buck

altamate 11-09-2013 04:35 PM

Not required in Alberta but I won't risk it. Met a guy from Calgary with an older DCB who did not have any on it or his other boats

HTRDLNCN 11-09-2013 04:45 PM

If you carry a personal liability policy that covers you if anyone sues you than all you would lose is the boat..

Velocity Tom 11-09-2013 04:54 PM

With my luck it would sink at the dock.

phragle 11-09-2013 05:04 PM

If it sank would the EPA come hunting you for hundreds of thousands of dollars for environmental impact spilling gas and oil???

Cigar Boat 11-09-2013 05:10 PM

Seen This Before recovery company came called by City and asked for credit card # to send the Bill.
Plus Fine EPA $$.

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 4024257)
If it sank would the EPA come hunting you for hundreds of thousands of dollars for environmental impact spilling gas and oil???

PremierPOWER 11-09-2013 05:25 PM

It's not required in Indiana as I found out this summer while being checked on a safety stop. I handed the CO my registration and insurance card and he handed the insurance right back and said "insurance isn't required in Indiana on a boat." Not sure why, I think it should be required everywhere. A good umbrella policy will cover you if you get sued if someone happened to get hurt but won't cover anything else. I don't see it as being worth not having coverage. How many places have you shopped?