Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/305201-big-lake-they-call-gitche-gumee.html)

the deep 11-10-2013 12:19 PM

The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee

Do you remember what happened on this day in 1975 ....

http://youtu.be/9vST6hVRj2A

mike tkach 11-10-2013 01:27 PM

that still brings a tear to my eyes.may the 29 rip.

Interceptor 11-10-2013 01:30 PM

duplicate post

Interceptor 11-10-2013 01:32 PM

Look up the Carl D Bradley sinking in November 17, 1958. More tragic with 33 deaths, just no song written about it. Also look up the storm of 1913, it took down just about everything afloat on the Great Lakes.

the deep 11-10-2013 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 4024567)
Look up the Carl D Bradley sinking in 1959. Just as tragic, just no song written about it. Also look up the storm of 1913, it took down just about everything afloat on the Great Lakes.

The point was about the 29 that lost their lives today although I do understand what your saying . I thought maybe some of our members here would comment on their memories of this event . Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours................

RedDog382 11-10-2013 02:13 PM

One interesting thing few people realize is that even though the Edmond Fitzgerald sank in "deep" water ... if one were to stand the intact ship on her stern, the bow would raise above and tower 200 feet over the surface of Lake Superior. May God rest their soles and comfort the family and friends of those lost that day.

n20michael 11-10-2013 02:55 PM

A sad day, we will probably never know what happened. The interview with Bernie Cooper who was Captain of the "Anderson" is pretty interesting

Interceptor 11-10-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by the deep (Post 4024570)
The point was about the 29 that lost their lives today although I do understand what your saying . I thought maybe some of our members here would comment on their memories of this event . Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours................

I disagree, many lives have been lost and all anyone hears about is the Fitzgerald sinking due to Lightfoot's song. In the case of the Bradley the whole crew was from Rogers City, Mi, a small town of a few thousand. Everyone in that town knew or was related to a crewman. My neighbor is a mate on the Treigurtha, a guy I play hockey with is a bulk oil carrier captain, another friend is the captain of the Badger a car ferry across Lake Michigan. They all have stories that would make you think twice about being out on those lakes in weather.

the deep 11-10-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 4024611)
I disagree, many lives have been lost and all anyone hears about is the Fitzgerald sinking due to Lightfoot's song. In the case of the Bradley the whole crew was from Rogers City, Mi, a small town of a few thousand. Everyone in that town knew or was related to a crewman. My neighbor is a mate on the Treigurtha, a guy I play hockey with is a bulk oil carrier captain, another friend is the captain of the Badger a car ferry across Lake Michigan. They all have stories that would make you think twice about being out on those lakes in weather.

Are you trying to say we should remember none because there have been many spread out over time . Orrr do you just dislike Lightfoots song . Sorry , trying hard to understand your thought process . I posted what I did because TODAY in 1974 we lost the Fitz and all hands . Never intended to disrespect anyone else lost to the witch of November .

Johnaut46 11-10-2013 04:20 PM

IMHO the reason that everyone remembers the EF is that she was the largest ship to ever sink on the Great Lakes. Same reason people remember the Titanic, google shipwrecks of 1912 HMS Titanic was only one of 214 ships lost that yr.

I agree with you that few people ever remember the little guys, they only remember the Biggest and Baddest. The Edmond Fitzgerald was an AWESOME boat.

I think humans have to have some type of reasoning why the things we create can fail against mother nature. We are top of the food chain how can mother nature beat us…

Having worked overseas most of my adult life, I know this.

You play with guns: You get shot
You play with knives: You get cut
You play on the water: You get wet.

Prayers out to all the people who work, play, and have lost their lives on the H20