Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break >

Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break

Notices

Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break

Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Avs38
I was in KW this week. It was announced that this would be the last race.. Clearwater was rumored. As for the racing, Fridays races and the first 2 races Sunday we're cent. The third face on Sunday, was boring, other then the 2 fires (unfortunate to say). Fans were losing interest fast on race 3. Further, the SBI change to the course, due to seat turtles was poorly managed and racers were forced to make a dangerous turn due to the placement of the turn buoys and the channel markers. On the plus side SBI did move the milling area, (pre start) away from the channel marker that warpaint hit.
you are correct - ppl were losing interest in the final race because there were hardly any boats left to complete the race. not enough side-by-side consistent competition like hulk/talbot or stihl/whm/qatar 20. now, that was exciting to watch. not anyone's fault, just the way the cookie crumbled. the big guys definitely tend to not be as reliable as the lower classes. perhaps sbi could shorten the course length by a few laps for the turbines and unlimiteds. they seem to max out/break their equipment far more often that the other classes.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbat
you are correct - ppl were losing interest in the final race because there were hardly any boats left to complete the race. not enough side-by-side consistent competition like hulk/talbot or stihl/whm/qatar 20. now, that was exciting to watch. not anyone's fault, just the way the cookie crumbled. the big guys definitely tend to not be as reliable as the lower classes. perhaps sbi could shorten the course length by a few laps for the turbines and unlimiteds. they seem to max out/break their equipment far more often that the other classes.
No- it's called they need to all step down to Super boat!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbat
perhaps sbi could shorten the course length by a few laps for the turbines and unlimiteds. they seem to max out/break their equipment far more often that the other classes.
It was mentioned the total distance for 3 days of racing was 135 miles. That's 45 miles a race. Say the turbines can avg 120, they only need to hold together for 22 minutes and 30 seconds. What would you like to see? first boat to the first corner wins?? At one time offshore was about building a boat as dependable as possible and then running it smart enough to keep it together.

Every turbine boat broke. you realize if you would have entered a 19' bayliner and a 305/alpha in the super bling unlimited resources class you would be grand poobah big daddy right now??

Last edited by phragle; 11-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
No- it's called they need to all step down to Super boat!
that would work as well. or maybe no more than two classes total.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
It was mentioned the total distance for 3 days of racing was 135 miles. That's 45 miles a race. Say the turbines can avg 120, they only need to hold together for 22 minutes and 30 seconds. What would you like to see? first boat to the first corner wins?? At one time offshore was about building a boat as dependable as possible and then running it smart enough to keep it together.

Every turbine boat broke. you realize if you would have entered a 19' bayliner and a 305/alpha in the super bling unlimited resources class you would be grand poobah big daddy right now??
hmmm...you sound a little defensive there. no need to be dude, we're all just just thinking out loud.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Not defensive at all, just realistic.. What I watched on livestream was not offshore racing. Offshore racing in my mind, the water is the equalizer. look at the svl races.. Snowy has the latest technology, ran on the edge and was untouchable. The only chance anybody else had was if they broke or wrecked. now if they had done 3 or 4 30 mile laps in open water in the conditions that were out there, it would have been anybodies race in that class. The oldest slowest boat in the class could have won if he raced smart enough.

Last edited by phragle; 11-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered

Now that's some funny stuff!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Registered

Not defensive at all, just realistic.. What I watched on livestream was not offshore racing. Offshore racing in my mind, the water is the equalizer. look at the svl races.. Snowy has the latest technology, ran on the edge and was untouchable. The only chance anybody else had was if they broke or wrecked. now if they had done 3 or 4 30 mile laps in open water in the conditions that were out there, it would have been anybodies race in that class. The oldest slowest boat in the class could have won if he raced smart enough.
But racing should still be a lot about PURE speed too
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I like the way you think and I love the respect and history you have with the sport. My only question is, if they run a 30 mile lap how are spectators supposed to see it ? If spectators can't see it, than why would they go? If they don't go than who would want the race in their town ? The whole idea is for people to come and spend money and we're not talking about the 40 or 50 race teams, we're talking about the hundreds and hopefully thousands of fans.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by frankenstein
I like the way you think and I love the respect and history you have with the sport. My only question is, if they run a 30 mile lap how are spectators supposed to see it ? If spectators can't see it, than why would they go? If they don't go than who would want the race in their town ? The whole idea is for people to come and spend money and we're not talking about the 40 or 50 race teams, we're talking about the hundreds and hopefully thousands of fans.
absolutely correct. the sport could no longer remain strictly 'off shore' if it is to survive, and have public appeal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.