Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Clearwater Still Negotiating For SBI Worlds >

Clearwater Still Negotiating For SBI Worlds

Notices

Clearwater Still Negotiating For SBI Worlds

Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CW is part of the Tampa/St Pete metropolitan area. A (culturally) richer, and more diverse environment than KW. Within 30 minutes of CW there are world famous theme parks (Busch Gardens, Adventure Island), marine aquariums, museums, go kart racing, NFL, MLB, NHL, Theater and Arts, shopping galore, two cities and tons of night life in both Tampa and St Pete. CW is also less expensive and more plentiful accommodations, and a much broader segment of things to do for both families and individuals than KW. Most importantly, for the race, you can’t even see the races in KW as good as you would in CW.

And as for all these purported ‘old ppl’…where exactly are you people seeing that?? I visit CW at least once a year and I see far a higher percentage 20/30 something locals there, than most other places in Fl.

This sport needs as much public support and injection of new fans and blood that it can get. No people = niche interest in the sport = no advertisers/sponsors = no boats! Advertisers and sponsors go and spend money where the PUBLIC en-masse will see their names and be inclined to sample their products.

We need more feet in the sand and in the pits getting involved. CW has a higher probability of this taking place in the future, KW only has the advantage in nostalgia and cachet. Case in point: bunch of guys here at work were thinking about going to KW, some with families, and after looking up travel and hotels we all decided to abstain. Why? Too expensive to spend more than a night or two there. It’s about money. On all sides, for the fans, sponsors, and for the racers.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Registered

you guys that live in Clearwater or think that it'd be cheaper I would like to know how you figure that ? maybe by a few pennies but I still don't see a substantial savings for the racer. CW is a pretty high end area. and knowing how business's are here in FL once CW locks up the races everyone will jump on the "jack up the rates" bandwagon. plus pretty sure SBI isn't going to give the extra $$$ too the racers. so again wheres the big benefit.

as for drawing fans or from a marketing standpoint, you guys are joking right ???? fans and spectors don't pay so whats the point. next as for this being a giant economic benefit to the area I think Sarasota would disagree. They have a great spectator turnout but the city isn't up for giving the taxpayer's $$$ to SBI anymore.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

If SBI charges for pit access in Clearwater, like they do in KW, see how many spectators take a pass.

I am an ex-racer, and not cheap, and I refuse to pay $15 bucks to see 40 boats where only 5 are AS COOL as the Poker run boats I can see for free 500yds away.

Maybe CW can build that demand into their package for SBI.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
you guys that live in Clearwater or think that it'd be cheaper I would like to know how you figure that ? maybe by a few pennies but I still don't see a substantial savings for the racer. CW is a pretty high end area. and knowing how business's are here in FL once CW locks up the races everyone will jump on the "jack up the rates" bandwagon. plus pretty sure SBI isn't going to give the extra $$$ too the racers. so again wheres the big benefit.

as for drawing fans or from a marketing standpoint, you guys are joking right ???? fans and spectors don't pay so whats the point. next as for this being a giant economic benefit to the area I think Sarasota would disagree. They have a great spectator turnout but the city isn't up for giving the taxpayer's $$$ to SBI anymore.
As far as hotels go they cant really jack up the rate. There are thoudands of hotels in and around this area unlike KW. Will the hyatt, sandpearl, and other right on the beach places mark up?....I bet they do but they are also $300 on any given weekend so most were not staying there to begin with. However just off the beachbor across the bridge into irb beach give tons and tons of other options.

As for spectator spending. A few shirts and crap makes a difference. ..what are they getting in KW as far as fans money wise that they wouldn't get here if not get more here?

Sponsors are all over here for teams.

As far as money for the city....a simple google search will show you it benifits the local area a good bit and the city is very willing to give money to the event.

If anything I think a lot of you guys sound like old folk stuck in their ways and afraid of change.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 11-18-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skaterdave

cw is not considered a high end area, it's a regular beach town. i go to diner and park my rental car there for roughly the same as i do at the outback steakhouse in suburbia. savings for the racers ?? yes - because the city of cw is willing to give more subsidies and financial incentives to sbi than kw is doing. marketing? sure, every year over 5,000 boats and tens of thousands more spectators line the beaches and dry pits to get involved in races. the spectator numbers are growing in cw too. there are some revenue generating areas atop hotel bars and on the pier. but over and above that, exposure is the key marketing tool here. with tens of thousands of fans, it's an opportunity for names to get on boats and equipment, and thus increase chances for sponsorship of the teams. watching on-air tv is free as well, no one pays, but the large amount of eyes and ears that watch it, encourages companies to put their names on ads. same for superboat. where the public is gathering in large numbers, marketers want their names there. and which marketing team does not want their name on the winning boat(s)?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 PM
mmb
Registered

Well call me dumb but i didn't even know about the pit pass until this year. This is the 3rd straight year we have gone...... That is a problem in SBI marketing.

KW isn't the problem imho

Last edited by mmb; 11-19-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it stays in KW, I live in Tampa and yes there are many things to do in the area, but if your down in CW beach, you are not heading to Tampa for a night out, just to far so you will be stuck more or less on the beach and the nightlife is nothing like KW. The business in KW need to really think how much money they can loose if the races leave KW.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boating37
I hope it stays in KW, I live in Tampa and yes there are many things to do in the area, but if your down in CW beach, you are not heading to Tampa for a night out, just to far so you will be stuck more or less on the beach and the nightlife is nothing like KW. The business in KW need to really think how much money they can loose if the races leave KW.
depends on what kind of night out you're looking for. club/party scene, i've done it many times driving cw to tampa. 30 minute drive. downtown st pete even closer.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
SBI has by far the lowest boat count at races all year...I think you might be confused.
Key West will have a very strong boat count just about no matter what org runs it. The rules are close enough that plenty of teams who run OPA can run SBI and vice versa. There are only 3 class in OPA that I can think of that cant run SBI. 7, 6 (can if that want to run 80) and 4 (can if they want to run 90)
If thats the case why dont you see more OPA boats at the Worlds??
Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's be honest... the vast majority of the people I know that go to KW for the "Worlds" don't go there so much for the races, they go there for a vacation and the partying. Sure folks enjoy the races, but for mostly it's about going down to the island to party and have a good time.

CW does not have near the draw IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.