Clearwater Still Negotiating For SBI Worlds >

Clearwater Still Negotiating For SBI Worlds

Notices

Clearwater Still Negotiating For SBI Worlds

Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Let's be honest... the vast majority of the people I know that go to KW for the "Worlds" don't go there so much for the races, they go there for a vacation and the partying. Sure folks enjoy the races, but for mostly it's about going down to the island to party and have a good time.

CW does not have near the draw IMO.

CW has a bigger draw as far as crowd goes already and that's just the locals for the most part.

KW is more fun and more of a vaca for a party and it's that reason why the poker run will still thrive and be fun there. The race if moved here will get a bigger crowd and possible new fans seeing as it's easy for all to attend here.

Both events would be fine (thr P.R and the worlds)
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "Worlds" have been in St Pete before I can assure you they were not thinly attended.
Steve
Old 11-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
CW has a bigger draw as far as crowd goes already and that's just the locals for the most part.

Agreed, but as you point out it's mostly local draw... something for the locals to do for the day.

KW is more fun and more of a vaca for a party and it's that reason why the poker run will still thrive and be fun there. The race if moved here will get a bigger crowd and possible new fans seeing as it's easy for all to attend here.

Both events would be fine (thr P.R and the worlds)
But if you take away one, you will lose draw for the other. I live in CT and typically know of at least 20 local people that go to KW any given year for the 'races'. Not that that's a lot of people, but considering I live 1200 miles away, that's a decent number of people. If the races were held at CW, I would be surprised if they went there for the first year, I would be very surprised if they returned to CW again the following year. By the same token, I doubt they would be drawn down to KW for just the PR, especially since it's not really practical to tow from the other end of the country.

I'm sure there would be plenty of locals for a potential CW event, but I do not believe there would be much of an outside draw after the first year. With that said, this may be of little importance to the organizers... but it may also do little to help grow the sport either.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
But if you take away one, you will lose draw for the other. I live in CT and typically know of at least 20 local people that go to KW any given year for the 'races'. Not that that's a lot of people, but considering I live 1200 miles away, that's a decent number of people. If the races were held at CW, I would be surprised if they went there for the first year, I would be very surprised if they returned to CW again the following year. By the same token, I doubt they would be drawn down to KW for just the PR, especially since it's not really practical to tow from the other end of the country.

I'm sure there would be plenty of locals for a potential CW event, but I do not believe there would be much of an outside draw after the first year. With that said, this may be of little importance to the organizers... but it may also do little to help grow the sport either.
CW it self draws thousands a year here for spring and summer. It is a big vaca spot and people from all over come here already races or no races. It's not exactly some small town that popped out of no where.

I am willing to bet if they moved the worlds (even if not even CW) that the Poker Run would survive just as good if not better by ways of lower room rates and dock fees (maybe). They could also add an event or two while in KW.

The reason CW opens the sport up to new people is it's easy access for the guy who loved boats but now has a young family and can't spend $4k to go to KW and spend the day on the beach with his kids. He maybe buy a shirt or dvd....he may not. Either way it is much easier for every man to attend here than it is to go to KW.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

KW has always had that special allure, it's unique for sure. But it's a captive place that uses its exclusivity for $$$. Tampa/CW on the other hand is a major metro area. The competition for rooms becomes far lighter, and so do the costs. Not only do you draw from the large local populace, but it's simply far easier for everyone to get to.

I think the big thing is that while many would prefer the KW poker run because it's a blast to party and be there, the bigger draw for the sport would be CW. So if you look at it from a spectator and money draw perspective, it becomes a much larger world. Far, far easier for anyone to fly into Tampa and get a room beachside in CW. Access is far better, availability of rooms, restaurants, etc...

For those that really want to set up a major draw, keep a PR in KW, possibly at another date. I know it's about a seven hour drive north to CW.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to KW each year for the Worlds. I have been to CW but would never travel there for the races I would still go to KW. More people watching because it is near a major metro area does not turn into $ if you are getting only local people that attend. People from all over attend the races in KW and the money stays in the local economy. I personally feel it would be a huge mistake to move it out of KW.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mjpcowboy
I go to KW each year for the Worlds. I have been to CW but would never travel there for the races I would still go to KW. More people watching because it is near a major metro area does not turn into $ if you are getting only local people that attend. People from all over attend the races in KW and the money stays in the local economy. I personally feel it would be a huge mistake to move it out of KW.

However they have an idea of how much money they can get from CW as they have a race here and every year it has gotten larger and larger. So it's not like they are drawing fromt he sky with putting it here.

If it was making so much money in KW why is the point even brought up to maybe move it? Why is there racers on this very board posting in this very thread that they can't afford to run in KW?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then my thought would be to move and see what happens. The majority of people who attend the races in KW do not want it to move and would not attend if in CW. I know KW is expensive for racers and spectators but for those who attend it is worth it. My only point was that if they move to CW they will loose several people I know who attend from the Midwest and from other areas across the Country which they need to factor in the decision.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

The one thing that sucks about Key West is that if you bring your boat down for the weekend, there is nowhere to go. Atleast in CW if you wanted to take your boat out for the day with some friends there are plenty of places to bar hop right?????
Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mjpcowboy
Then my thought would be to move and see what happens. The majority of people who attend the races in KW do not want it to move and would not attend if in CW. I know KW is expensive for racers and spectators but for those who attend it is worth it. My only point was that if they move to CW they will loose several people I know who attend from the Midwest and from other areas across the Country which they need to factor in the decision.
Not in anyway knocking those that travel there for the race but loosing maybe a few hundred that travel compaired to the thousands that attend here is a no brianer in terms of a business.

It's not as if all travel will stop if the race comes here. There are still plenty who will come on top of people that just travel to CW to be in CW and there is LOTS of those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.