Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
CMI HEADERS 700 BOAT LEAKING NEED lOPTIONS >

CMI HEADERS 700 BOAT LEAKING NEED lOPTIONS

Notices

CMI HEADERS 700 BOAT LEAKING NEED lOPTIONS

Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Somethin' Sexy;4030116]Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of the crap prdoucts that Mercury Racing puts out? 1350's,1100's, drive failures, including #6's, for no apparent reason, 525, 600, 700 header issues. The only decent reliable product that they put out was the 496 and 525 (minus the headers), which is why I believe they have discontinued production of these.

How they can cram a motor into an outboard casing and it be more reliable is beyond me. Maybe the fisherman ***** more than we do.

You would think after 50 years, they could get it right.

Although the header was a Mercury spec, I also blame CMI for allowing these to go to production. They had to know the header was inferior. Kinda of like hiring a roofer to plumb my house...[/QUOTE]
Long ago, CMI's made good headers. THey were not the "cool" collar and better alloy. The flange and the tube weld was better also. Then the co. was sold. merc. was thinking about buying the co. but instead they changed the specs. Both CMI's and Merc headers are pretty ****ty as far as leaks and problems the specs don't change much. just a legal loop hole that they don't have to warranty after a year. It's called "planned obsolescence" so you buy new stuff or pay for repairs. CMI can blame you or merc for the failure, Merc will blame CMI or silent choice, tips. etc. but neither one have to and they haven't stepped up to the plate to resolve. They will only admit to things after a bunch of drinks, and I have this from the "horses mouth" from both co. CMI is not owned by the original founder of the Co. (when the headers were ok) it's owned by some furniture mega, profit driven a' hole firm.
CMI or any co. will make and sell what ever a buyer wants. IE Merc. ) then they can say it's not "their fault" and of course Merc can say. "we didn't make then" go after CMI. It's all BS, and we get stuck with the costs.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paradox (or anybody else)...

Any view on the Hardin Marine 525/600/700 headers. Are they better? Worse ?? I was originally steered away from them not because of quality but because of possible fit issues and the timetable I was on at the time. Now, I'm possibly looking at three sets of headers for a new boat I'm looking at and I have plenty of time. Are Hardin's a better option ? Anyone ??
Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone can step in here if I'm incorrect but i think the majority of the issues were on staggered engine setups due to the long tails and how much they flexed.

Last edited by neva satisfied; 11-20-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:07 PM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a positive note for CMI headers I have as set of Sport Tube CMI's that were bought in 2006 and they are STILL doing just fine!! When I need new headers I will buy CMI again!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
Can't even buy them from Merc anymore... Buying new ones from Teague would be my suggestion. They are still $5400 retail a set! ching ching Gerald!!!!!

I bought a new set of Big Tubes last year so just bend over and take it brother... MG told me being cool aint cheap!
Thank you for your 2-cents chad but cool is not my goal.

Reliable and making it to all stops is the plan.

Money is not a problem getting educated and sharing imformation is were I am coming from so I only do this once not two or three times.

Oh! how things going with the your new arrival.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
they are about the same price as cmi
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by gnorthga
they are about the same price as cmi
Give their construction a thorough review then shop around for the best price . I have been watching and have heard zero complaints on their quality only about price . On the other hand there are numerous horror stories about CMI and not just with the Merc spec header , I have a few myself and have had a belly full of that company . Here is a set of Hardin Hurricane Lites that a member here had for sale a few months ago .

Last edited by the deep; 11-20-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=HyFive578;4030038]
Originally Posted by neva satisfied

It's true that the Gen-X headers have the "cool collar" design where the outer tubes taper about 1/4" before the flange and it's true that older style headers had the outer tubes run all the way to the flange but just because the headers have the cool collar design doesn't mean they are OK.

The headers that failed on me where "newer design" with the cool collars but were from the vintage (2004) where the grade of stainless was inferior and CMI was not heat treating the headers. From what I've been told, it wasn't until 2010 that the headers that CMI made for Merc as OEM were improved.

You can tell a Gen-x header because it looks nothing like a CMI/Merc OEM header. It has separate distribution tubes that attach to the header with small rubber hoses and there is no bypass hose between the distribution tubes and tails. The Gen-x header is better quality overall than the CMI/Merc header.
So the 2010 and newer Mercury headers are holding up better? Sorry for the questions but I just starting following the CMI saga..

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gnorthga
Perfect Storm

Did you go back with CMI mercury headers or did you get non mercury CMI headers.

A good friend of mine said CMI headers are fine just dont get the ones mercury has CMI build to there specs.

If you put mercury CMI on did you have any trouble after you installed the mercury CMI new headers?
I purchased CMI "Generation X" Headers from Donny... The price was a little lower than what you're being quoted, but I didn't have the staggered set-up. BELIEVE ME I didn't want to give CMI a DIME of my hard earned money after the PREMATURE failure of my original headers, but unfortunately that was my only quick-fix option at the time. This happened to me in the middle of the Summer, so I didn't want to wait for parts that were on "Back Order" or parts that would involve "Re-fabricating" and/or "Custom Installation". The boating season is very short here and the Buffalo Poker Run was less than a month away... CMI Gen-X was the ONLY option at the time that was a direct replacement and on the shelf and ready to ship immediately. The fact that I could get my boat back in the water very quickly ended up trumping my initial refusal to reward CMI with my business after they (and Mercury Racing) built an inferior product that subsequently failed and cost boaters thousands of dollars in unforeseen expenses. I've had 2 1/2 seasons on the new CMI Gen-X Headers with no problems. Good luck with your decision and know that I feel your pain bro!

Last edited by Perfect Storm; 11-20-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
How that company hasn't had a class action lawsuit is beyond me. Without question one of the worst high performance boating products to ever be marketed. I'd replace them with anything other than CMI.
Interesting point that you brought that up about a class action lawsuit. I am a criminal defense attorney in New Jersey, but I am an avid performance boat enthusiast. There were members here on OSO that contacted me about a Class Action Lawsuit in regards to the chronic weld failures on the CMI Mercury 525 EFI Package. I had enough responses-plaintiffs to start the lawsuit, but I cannot and will not finance this lawsuit, which I was trying to partner with a law firm who handles class action suits, with me being the lead attorney. We, the law firm and I could not reach an agreement, so the lawsuit never materialized. There are more than enough plaintiffs to commence such a suit, but I cannot finance such an action as a solo practioner.

Second, minor issue, when I was talking about this suit on OSO I was suddenly banned from OSO for a short period of time, which I understood why (CMI is an advertiser as is Mercury, and I am just a long-time platinum member, I don't spend as much on OSO as does Mercury and CMI).

I guess I will stay in the criminal defense realm, I felt bad after having spoke with at least 10-20 OSO members who experienced real world trouble and expense due to header failure(s), and I was unable to go forward and fight for them, it is just too much money for a solo lawyer to commence such an action in the right way and not in a half-ass manner, and if cannot do it to the best of my ability with the proper resources then I should mind my own business. I needed metallurgist(s), design engineers, and other expert as to why the header failed: design defect, manufacturing defect (materials - the stainless used, and or weld techniques), and any other applicable experts and data to help in the Plaintiff's suit

To those who I spoke with my apology, you all had a good case (winnable). Keep in mind that Class Action suits are not my forte.

The class action suit for the CMI header failure is just waiting to happen, someone someday will go forward, I hope I don't get banned again for this very topic.

Stephen "Smarty" Jones, Esquire

PS I have always liked the KE Header
Attached Images  

Last edited by Smarty; 11-20-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.