Like Tree0Likes

staggered engines./ effects

Old 08-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Slippery when wet!

Staggered engines real old, Aronows Boats were the first I ever saw Staggered! Brownie would know the Answer to this. He probably built it.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:32 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

My Boats: Back on the dock!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by timucin
which engine will be in front - does it matter ?

18-19 inch center to center props right?
Have done it both ways. Some people say the front engine should be on the side your turning to most, but who's to say. Betty Cook's Scarab was a staggered boat and the 78 was what hooked me on offshore boats back in Nov of 78 in the Florida Keys.

Center line is kind of dependent on what drive and prop you're going to run. You can't have an 18" centerline and run a 18" diameter wheel because you will tip the props. Hell I've even tipped some 17 1/2" wheels on 18 center's.

Sean
Old 08-10-2002, 02:34 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Gary
I think John Connor of Kaama Racing,was the first one to ever staggar a 38 Scarab. The theroy was the closer the drives, the faster the boat. It seemed to work.
Are you Gary Weden or Gary Young????????
Old 08-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Registered

sean you'r right about the 18-19 inches.
metric/inch stuff =confusion!!
Old 08-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Talking to the Mercury Guys back then their contention was that the big #3 Speed Master formed it self into kind of an S shape under a high load.

Transom flex, Gimble- Play- Movement aside from this .easy to see the Props getting hit!Close quarters there.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

timucin 18 inches is just shy of 46 cm
Old 08-10-2002, 03:10 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

uh-oh here we go with that metric stuff. The only conversion's I can remember from way back when is weight stuff. Weight = $$$
or something like that. It's a joke don't take it serious.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Registered

lol!
Old 08-11-2002, 02:57 AM
Registered

My Boats: 79 Larry Smith Scarab 'Kaama'

Mr. Stinson
I have the second of Betty Cook's KAAMA boats- a 38 ft, 3 man bolster with full staggered 540s and crescent #3's. Exhaust is Patterson marine, each header has a nameplate with serial number. The hull ID is #TSC101380379. Hull is kevlar with epoxy resin and carbon fiber reinforcements.

Betty Cook and John Conner's names are stenciled on the side cowl pieces. John Conner remembered the boat well, and Larry Smith also verified it. Mr. Conner also stated that they won the worlds in this boat. Betty Cook sold it to a guy named Ron Hirschburg?? and he raced it under the name Socksess(sp ???). I bought it through Greg Gluck from a guy in St Pete, Fla.

As to the stagger setup, you could easily pull the heads, etc. with the engines in place. The dual ram tabs are HUGE due to the space available. I would think the stagger setup would balance the boat better for level flight, lessening the chances of a trip/stuff.

Bulldog aka Ronnie
Old 08-11-2002, 05:59 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog
Mr. Stinson
I have the second of Betty Cook's KAAMA boats- a 38 ft, 3 man bolster with full staggered 540s and crescent #3's. Exhaust is Patterson marine, each header has a nameplate with serial number. The hull ID is #TSC101380379. Hull is kevlar with epoxy resin and carbon fiber reinforcements.

Betty Cook and John Conner's names are stenciled on the side cowl pieces. John Conner remembered the boat well, and Larry Smith also verified it. Mr. Conner also stated that they won the worlds in this boat. Betty Cook sold it to a guy named Ron Hirschburg?? and he raced it under the name Socksess(sp ???). I bought it through Greg Gluck from a guy in St Pete, Fla.

As to the stagger setup, you could easily pull the heads, etc. with the engines in place. The dual ram tabs are HUGE due to the space available. I would think the stagger setup would balance the boat better for level flight, lessening the chances of a trip/stuff.

Bulldog aka Ronnie
I couldn't agree with your more sorry about the misquote above on the year. That's the boat that hooked me on offshore. I was standing on a beach on Marathon Key, just before the World's I'm guessing back then, when I hear this boat hauling ass and louder than hell but couldn't see it. Growing up around blown jets and flatbottoms I immediately figure some guy has Big Balls to be running his blown whatever puddle jumper in the ocean. Then this boat comes into view and your boat was the one causing all the noise and I said That's me and that is "The ****" I will have one of those before I'm all done! I didn't realize at the time what kind of roller coaster ride I was in for but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I know of a gent in Cali that's been trying to find your boat to no avail and see if it's for sale or not. I would really love to see some current photos of it and know your current configuration and set-up. Call me sometime 949 289-0059 I would love to have a conversation about that boat. I believe that somewhere I still have a signed photo of it from Betty, John, and Don.

Sean