Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   staggered engines./ effects (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30591-staggered-engines-effects.html)

timucin 08-09-2002 06:34 PM

staggered engines./ effects

what is the advantage of staggered-engine-rigging in top speed?

%?

Gassticks 08-09-2002 08:36 PM

Now I'm know expert , But from what I know is buy staggering the motors it gives you a better center of gravity and better balance !! just my .02

Steve 1 08-09-2002 09:21 PM

Timucin Gassticks is 100% right also with the Engines closer to the keel the CG is lowered also, now in the Old days there was talk of Propeller efficiency going up due the props being on 18-19” centers also when turning the boat at high speed props are in the water longer as the boat heels over !

Side benefits easy to work on! And a much neater bilge also.
And get to keep some fuel in saddle tanks also there in the engine room.

mcollinstn 08-09-2002 09:25 PM

I'm just guessing, too.

does it have anything to do with drives closer to centerline getting a better dose of clean water at ultrahigh speeds? Seems the farther from center you get on a veehull, the more aerated and turbulent the water gets in 3 to 4 footers..

Staggering certainly moves weight forward in the hull (the forward motor). Don't really figure the weight distribution fore/aft is that big of a plus. Must be something else. Motors closer to the center will give the boat less rolling inertia - that might have something more to do with it.

sean stinson 08-09-2002 10:16 PM

Don't forget it tends to keep the nose down in the rough. But what do I know I'm just a stupid kid.
Sean

Offshoreracr 08-09-2002 11:45 PM

Every thing said so far is true. I had a 34 Coyote race boat for a short while and the staggered setup was a great ride. Quick out the hole, bow down in rough water and turns great to the left with the port motor forward, but if your not racing I don't think its worth the space.

cobra marty 08-10-2002 12:03 AM

The ultimate 'stagger' would be the Ettore race boat with the engines inline. Very low center of gravity and, ?is it, a very low roll center or polar movement

sean stinson 08-10-2002 01:29 AM

Originally posted by cobra marty
The ultimate 'stagger' would be the Ettore race boat with the engines inline. Very low center of gravity and, ?is it, a very low roll center or polar movement
It would have to have the same effect as the keel of a blowboat not as pronounced but same theory and effect would apply.

timucin 08-10-2002 10:58 AM

which engine will be in front - does it matter ?

18-19 inch center to center props right?

Team Gary 08-10-2002 12:30 PM

I think John Connor of Kaama Racing,was the first one to ever staggar a 38 Scarab. The theroy was the closer the drives, the faster the boat. It seemed to work.