Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What do you think is the best V bottom boat being built today and why? >

What do you think is the best V bottom boat being built today and why?

Notices

What do you think is the best V bottom boat being built today and why?

Old 12-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 More Cig
I know one boat I would not buy is a Donzi 35 zr. My buddy has one and it does ok on speed with 525 motors,1/3 tank of fuel with 3 adults 83-84 at best. but if its even slightly rough water that boat rides like chit. It's a good looking boat but definitely doesn't handle even slightly rough water without beating the chit out of you. He always hoped it would see 92 but has settled for what it gives. I've been on poker runs, fun runs and with him on many high speed GPS runs, that boat loves 2' or under rough water.
He must not know how to trim a boat or has something wrong. 525s in a 35 should be good for 90+ all day
Old 12-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spent years looking for the boat I wanted. Owned several while doing it. Did test drives collected info enough that I started a 3 ring binder on them. East coast west coast boats. Things in the back of my mind my grandfather talked about what to look for and a lot about lenght needed to run in the great lakes. One statment was at least 25'. Had a couple 25'ers but didnt seem right. Finaly thought about back in his day 25' was at the water line and usually overall lengh also. He also talked about how fast storms could wip up in the great lakes compaired to the ocean. Differances in wave spacing. He had also built a few boats and had been boating since he was about 14.
He tought me a lot of other things about boating. Around 8 or 9 he and I would go out in his 27' sail boat he hadd built. I would pilot the boat and he would give me compas readings to to keep. BTW he was blind at this poit in his life but was about as accurate as a GPS on were we were.
Also got a bit worried about passengers some taken out for the first time didnt want to scare them.
Been stuck a few times with passengers that got a bit freaked over the wave action.
One ride in my current boat and I was sold. Engines a bit small but fuel prices were on the rise. Ride quality was is great. Build quality looked great. Cabbin was a bit short on head room but noted there were full bulkheads about every 18" as well as 4 stringers in the deck (more than most in the hull). 5 full stringers in the bottom. I had previously collected almost 2 complete turbo kits with mild boost could mostlikely get the same performance as a well built big blocks and save on fuel to boot. A few things were missing a sink some sort of tolit but there was plenty of room to add them. Since purchasing it havent even thought about somethig different. Still a good hull design catches my eye possibly more so than a pair of boobies. But never a thought of some other boat.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apache Powerboats....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niwjMgDl02k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niwjMgDl02k

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 12-14-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
Spent years looking for the boat I wanted. Owned several while doing it. Did test drives collected info enough that I started a 3 ring binder on them. East coast west coast boats. Things in the back of my mind my grandfather talked about what to look for and a lot about lenght needed to run in the great lakes. One statment was at least 25'. Had a couple 25'ers but didnt seem right. Finaly thought about back in his day 25' was at the water line and usually overall lengh also. He also talked about how fast storms could wip up in the great lakes compaired to the ocean. Differances in wave spacing. He had also built a few boats and had been boating since he was about 14.
He tought me a lot of other things about boating. Around 8 or 9 he and I would go out in his 27' sail boat he hadd built. I would pilot the boat and he would give me compas readings to to keep. BTW he was blind at this poit in his life but was about as accurate as a GPS on were we were.
Also got a bit worried about passengers some taken out for the first time didnt want to scare them.
Been stuck a few times with passengers that got a bit freaked over the wave action.
One ride in my current boat and I was sold. Engines a bit small but fuel prices were on the rise. Ride quality was is great. Build quality looked great. Cabbin was a bit short on head room but noted there were full bulkheads about every 18" as well as 4 stringers in the deck (more than most in the hull). 5 full stringers in the bottom. I had previously collected almost 2 complete turbo kits with mild boost could mostlikely get the same performance as a well built big blocks and save on fuel to boot. A few things were missing a sink some sort of tolit but there was plenty of room to add them. Since purchasing it havent even thought about somethig different. Still a good hull design catches my eye possibly more so than a pair of boobies. But never a thought of some other boat.
I understand your points. My Avanti is like a baby Apache, being 33'. but she goes through anything. After a bunch of research, I bought the bare hull. I saw the stringers and all the "inner" construction. Drives, power and rigging came later. PLus with a budget I set, I know I got the best boat and set up for the money, and I'm happy with everything. I sacrificed a little speed and creature comforts, (IE air cond. ) but my lady will go where no boats been gone before. And I have the passengers and guests to back it up, not just my .02...
Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 More Cig
I know one boat I would not buy is a Donzi 35 zr. My buddy has one and it does ok on speed with 525 motors,1/3 tank of fuel with 3 adults 83-84 at best. but if its even slightly rough water that boat rides like chit. It's a good looking boat but definitely doesn't handle even slightly rough water without beating the chit out of you. He always hoped it would see 92 but has settled for what it gives. I've been on poker runs, fun runs and with him on many high speed GPS runs, that boat loves 2' or under rough water.
Granted my 35ZR has 710 Ilmor's which is more than enough speed for me100+ and I have only used it for a few months but it handles great and I am not used to it at all coming from a 24 Baja. I don't drive on the ocean but it cuts through ship waves and wakes very nice. There really isn't a bad boat out there it just depends what is right for you. I started this thread to learn more about hull design. I really was interested in if the multiple steps on OL boats show improvement in speed or handling but I don't think anyone really knows.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
"Still a good hull design catches my eye possibly more so than a pair of boobies"

Seriously! This was hard to read....love my boat but NOTHING beats a nice pair of boobies!!!!!! Based on the 11:00 pm post time assume alcohol was involved.

Last edited by 39 Unlimited; 12-15-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
"Still a good hull design catches my eye possibly more so than a pair of boobies"

Seriously! This was hard to read....love my boat but NOTHING beats a nice pair of boobies!!!!!! Based on the 11:00 pm post time assume alcohol was involved.
Actually was always more interested in the transom
Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Kind of a lengthy read, but I think this needs to be part of this conversation.....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...boat-show.html
Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

If I could swing it a new 2014 33 powerplay sport deck No step, good ride , good speed, big enuf for off shore small enuf for rivers.