Yanmar V8 TD and outdrive 8lv 370z

Notices

Yanmar V8 TD and outdrive 8lv 370z

Old 12-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Yanmar V8 TD and outdrive 8lv 370z

http://us.yanmar.mobi/files/5413/662...Z-370Z_New.pdf

I ran into this at the st. Pete boat show today. I had never heard of it. I'm very curious if anyone has anymore info.

What engine is this based on?

Is this their own outdrive design?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
http://us.yanmar.mobi/files/5413/662...Z-370Z_New.pdf

I ran into this at the st. Pete boat show today. I had never heard of it. I'm very curious if anyone has anymore info.

What engine is this based on?

Is this their own outdrive design?
I understand that this is the same base engine as used in our Toyota Landcruiser 4x4. May see the same engine in your Tundra. The outdrive is a Yanmar design and build, they have moved away from using the Mercruiser Bravo legs.

As with the 315hp 6LP engine which was also Toyota Landcruiser based (older model) this is a Toyota based engine but with considerable mods to make it suitable for marine application.

Should be a great unit.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 315HP 6LP with Bravo drives in my boat and it is a great setup, I went for a demo ride on a 39 Nortech at MIBS in 2011 with twin 8LV and it ran 58 @ 1.5mpg with 9 people on the boat, 45mph @2mpg, [email protected], and they are much much quieter than my engines. I would love to have a pair of them in my boat. What are you thinking of putting them in??
Old 12-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoking Joe
I understand that this is the same base engine as used in our Toyota Landcruiser 4x4. May see the same engine in your Tundra. The outdrive is a Yanmar design and build, they have moved away from using the Mercruiser Bravo legs.

As with the 315hp 6LP engine which was also Toyota Landcruiser based (older model) this is a Toyota based engine but with considerable mods to make it suitable for marine application.

Should be a great unit.
I know for example with the 6LP in the Landcruiser application they make 13-15 psi of boost, the Yanmar version can get away with 28psi due to the availability of unlimited cooling water for the engine and intercooler. From what I understand there are very few internal differences in the two motors.