Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can a 496 be damaged with freezing temps? >

Can a 496 be damaged with freezing temps?

Notices

Can a 496 be damaged with freezing temps?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by NautiNuff
The 496 is a closed system so the block has antifreeze in it all year. The heat exchangers have hand pump for blowing them down, but the damn thing needs winterised.

I have antifreeze in my exchanger this time of year.
Yea I asked if it was a closed system in pervious post. So the heat exchangers use fresh water? Not real familiar with the closed system engines.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

He's in trouble. Those heat exchangers are probably toast, and maybe more.

I know I've posted at least 100 times on this topic so there is plenty that will come up with a search. The 496/HO water drain actuator system is NOT to be used for winterizing.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
Yea I asked if it was a closed system in pervious post. So the heat exchangers use fresh water? Not real familiar with the closed system engines.
Yeah, the heat exchangers draw fresh water and cool the closed system antifreeze.

If these exchangers freeze and bust, the boat will take on water next year and not cool the motor correctly.

Like I said, there is a little hand pump to blow the exchanger down to extend the season, but in cold envionments were it is below freezing for exended days and nights, it will not be enough.

If his "friend" would have done the blowdown and put it inside a building, I would say he would be fine for now.

Around were I live, you could have picked up the phone and a service place would come out, winterise and even place it in storage for you and just send the bill.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by NautiNuff
Yeah, the heat exchangers draw fresh water and cool the closed system antifreeze.

If these exchangers freeze and bust, the boat will take on water next year and not cool the motor correctly.

Like I said, there is a little hand pump to blow the exchanger down to extend the season, but in cold envionments were it is below freezing for exended days and nights, it will not be enough.

If his "friend" would have done the blowdown and put it inside a building, I would say he would be fine for now.

Around were I live, you could have picked up the phone and a service place would come out, winterise and even place it in storage for you and just send the bill.
Oh ok, makes sense now.

And yes, same around here also. I keep mine at a marina and winterize it myself for a few years now and they still call me to make sure I did.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Worse yet, how is your friend on overall maintenance and upkeep? If there have been any previous issues with antifreeze/freshwater crossing over, he could have water in the block and that would freeze.

IF the antifreeze tank appears pink, there would probably be enough antifreeze in the "solution" in the block that would protect from freeze damage to the block. Such was just a passing thought though.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
Oh ok, makes sense now.

And yes, same around here also. I keep mine at a marina and winterize it myself for a few years now and they still call me to make sure I did.
Makes sense to me Joe. If you have time and know how to do something right, it is best to know for sure and do it yourself.

Alot of fly by night operations could cost us too much money
cutting corners.

I use a stand up dealership that would stand behind any mistakes. They have a big tank and recycle plus they use a hydrometer to ensure what temp I am good for.

I always hate to see winterisers dump on the ground and am scared to death to walk my dog around the marina this time of year.

I'm sure you do a great job. I guess this "friend" may learn an expensive lesson.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Worse yet, how is your friend on overall maintenance and upkeep? If there have been any previous issues with antifreeze/freshwater crossing over, he could have water in the block and that would freeze.

IF the antifreeze tank appears pink, there would probably be enough antifreeze in the "solution" in the block that would protect from freeze damage to the block. Such was just a passing thought though.
He pays someone every spring to get her ready for the season. He typically doesnt winterize because it sits in a heated warehouse all winter. This is the first year he has waited this late in the season to get it indoors.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

I could not stand to not know if everything is OK or not, I would get it looked at pronto.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I think that Mercury says to check the antifreeze as part of the winterization process, as any small leak could be cause for cross contamination. Assuming that the antifreeze is good, the block should be OK, but I bet the exchanger, cool fuel, exhaust, pump, etc. are toast. It is amazing how a small amount of water can freeze, expand, and crack big hunks of steel. That said, for your friends sake, I hope that he is safe.

If it thaws and then freezes again, the water from the busted exchanger could very well dilute the antifreeze to the point that the block coul crack with the next cold temps.

Please let us know how it all turns out.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Registered

Its fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.