Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can anyone recommend an attorney for traffic accident in Tennessee?  Help! >

Can anyone recommend an attorney for traffic accident in Tennessee? Help!

Notices

Can anyone recommend an attorney for traffic accident in Tennessee? Help!

Old 12-11-2013, 05:07 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Can anyone recommend an attorney for traffic accident in Tennessee? Help!

My brother-in-law is a long haul owner operator truck driver. Was traveling on interstate in Tennessee in lousy weather at night. Came across a spun out black vehicle in middle of road with no lights on. He barely saw it, swerved but hit the car. Police deemed he was not at fault.

His truck was his life - it was his home, only means of transportation and his lively hood. His tractor was totaled and his trailer heavily damaged. No one was killed thank God.

The insurance company of the vehicle in middle of road verbally admitted fault. Now suddenly ins co is dancing around because 4 other vehicles wrecked in the same spot for the same reason. No one else hit his truck.

It has been 2 weeks and my bro in law is getting run around. I don't have all details, but it is obvious the in He needs to go to doctor, ins company has not provided rental car. He needs more medical care, but no real way to get to Dr.
Asked ins co to provide rental and all he gets is run around.

He needs good representation, He is now here in va beach. He has called a few attorneys, but it appears the attorney needs to be in Tennessee.

Anyone have any recommendations?

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 12-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillR
My brother-in-law is a long haul owner operator truck driver. Was traveling on interstate in Tennessee in lousy weather at night. Came across a spun out black vehicle in middle of road with no lights on. He barely saw it, swerved but hit the car. Police deemed he was not at fault.

His truck was his life - it was his home, only means of transportation and his lively hood. His tractor was totaled and his trailer heavily damaged. No one was killed thank God.

The insurance company of the vehicle in middle of road verbally admitted fault. Now suddenly ins co is dancing around because 4 other vehicles wrecked in the same spot for the same reason. No one else hit his truck.

It has been 2 weeks and my bro in law is getting run around. I don't have all details, but it is obvious the in He needs to go to doctor, ins company has not provided rental car. He needs more medical care, but no real way to get to Dr.
Asked ins co to provide rental and all he gets is run around.

He needs good representation, He is now here in va beach. He has called a few attorneys, but it appears the attorney needs to be in Tennessee.

Anyone have any recommendations?
did he have full coverage on his truck? if not then i think if the other insurance is not covering it i believe thats where the uninsured coverage comes in..also tell him to keep in mind that where his truck is parked their is tow and storage fees pileing up and those people rite their are worse that the insurance company..ill ask a friend that lives in tenn for his reccomendation for a lawyer..he is near Chattanooga..
good luck..
Old 12-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered

I think TN is a no fault state.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered

There should have been some ambulance chasers at the scene, did he not see them?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:37 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Yes he had full coverage. I think ins co had all towed to thier lot.......

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he had full coverage he should claim it with his insurance. If the other person was at fault his insurance will fight with them to get paid. We all pay these premiums for a reason, let them work for your money!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

He does and is, but his ins co is somewhat jerking him around too. Y'all know how ins companies work, they do their best to pay as little as possible.

He really needs legal advice as well as transportation so he can get some medical help too.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 12-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Insurance does do thier best to pay as little as they can.

As for going for medical help, call a taxi?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

First - your brother in laws insurance company should be taking care of your brother in law. Let them go after the other parties regardless of fault.

Second - there is no doubt insurance companies are incented to pay out as little as possible - HOWEVER they are "regulated" to pay what's "fair" as defined by the policy and exclusions. There is a phrase (Good Faith) that tends to get insurance companies motivated to do their job. Write a note explaining the assistance you are seeking as defined in your policy, summarize your frustrations to date, then close with "I do not believe x Insurance Company is acting in Good Faith and will be contacting the state insurance regulatory board in x days if you continue to act in Bad Faith".

No insurance company wants to be dragged into the state board with a claim of not acting in "Good Faith". The penalties, fines, and impact on a company can be significant if found guilty of not acting in "Good Faith".

No - I am not in the insurance industry. My father was for 40 years, and he assisted me through a difficult insurance claim many years ago. After a year of stonewalling and delays, 1 letter mentioning "Good Faith" and the insurance company bent over backwards to take of my issues.

Best of luck to your brother in law for a speedy resolution.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Registered

This is what makes me mad about insurance companies.... we pay the premiums and we are "covered" and everyone feels warm and fuzzy. We PAY them to help us when we need help the most and they don't. We stop paying insurance or late on payments they drop us or go up on premiums. The people who don't have insurance seem to get the best end of the stick. Nothing generally happens to them but they continue to drive and do it again and agan and again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.