Point Pleasant Race only 10 days away

Notices

Point Pleasant Race only 10 days away

Old 08-06-2002, 01:25 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Point Pleasant Race only 10 days away

With two successful OPA Divisional races under our belt, we are now getting ready for the final race of the year. On Friday August 16th, the New Jersey Offshore Racing Association will be the host organization for the seventh stop on the SuperBoat International Tour. This will also be the fourth race in the OPA divisional series.

Between 35 and 40 boats have been attending the SBI National races this year. Add this to the 15 or so boats that have been running the OPA divisional races and we have the possibility of seeing 45 to 50 boats attend this race.

The classes will range from P5 boats that run in the mid 60s to Superboats that are capable of speeds over 170mph. Because the risk of running all of these boats at once on the same racecourse is too high, we will be running two separate races. The first race will start at 11:30 and the second race will start at 1pm. We have been getting very good about starting the races on time so this timetable should hold true. We expect the racecourse to be closed down at about 2:30pm.

As always, we need to call upon our volunteer base to come out to support this event and hopefully enjoy yourselves in the process. Please check your calendar and see if you can make it out for this Friday race.

We need many more boats than are currently registered to provide a safe racecourse. Please see if your schedule will allow you to attend.

The mandatory captain’s meeting for this race will be held on Sunday night 8/11 at 6pm at the White Sands Hotel on Ocean Ave in Point Pleasant Beach. A party will follow at the same spot with food and cash bar compliments of the White Sands. All boats must have at least one crew member present to pick up the committee flag and instructions for race day. You will receive two party tickets at the meeting on Sunday night for the party on Thursday night along with two of the official race T-Shirts.

The Jenkinsons racer/volunteer party will be held the night before the race at Jenkinson’s main Pavilion under the big blue roof. This party will be from 7pm to 9pm on Thursday night August 15th.

After what happened during the last race in Seaside, I thought all of you that helped with that race would enjoy reading some letters that went back and forth shortly after the race.
=============================
June 24, 2002

Dear Ron,

It was an exciting day to say the least. As you know we've been having nothing but problems trying to get a motor that works in our boat so we could enjoy the great racing season this year. First, we blow a brand new motor two weeks before the Point Pleasant race, which was disappointing to say the least. Not to mention the major bucks blown. Second, the day of the race we blow a head gasket on our back up motor while heading out for the race and finally, we blow a piston the day before the Seaside Race. I just want say thanks to Kurt Berger and his crew for getting a motor in my boat so that we could race on Sunday. He was a true professional and gentleman to help me out on such short notice. I know that he didn’t have to, he wanted to and that’s what makes him a gentleman.

Any way, to further my reason for this letter, I want to express my sincere thanks to everyone who offered to help us out and do whatever it took to get us in the water on Sunday. They are all great people and I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Well, taking a dump in the ocean was certainly a humbling experience. Very scary too. Once again people that I don’t know have called and E-mailed us to make sure we were OK. On behalf of Gary and myself, I truly want to thank you and the entire NJ Offshore Racing Association support staff for getting us out of the water quickly and safely. Thankfully, we escaped with just bumps bruises, a broken steering wheel and a little fiberglass damage. When we are all fixed up, we will be back and ready for North Carolina.

So, once again, my sincere thanks to everyone that helps to stage these races.

Sincerely,

Bruce Seroff "Simply Awesome"
==============================
June 25, 2002

Bruce,

I am very glad that you guys are OK.

I was in Angel 2 during the race and when the report of two racers in the water came over the radio (the second time) we were in the middle of the course flying at about 150 ft above the water. When I looked in the direction of turn #4 I could see 2 orange helmets bobbing in the water with the Red Panther boat bearing down on you guys. Thanks to the very quick action of one of the pace boats they were able to move in and shelter you from the oncoming traffic. I think the quick action of the pace boat and rescue boats prevented an even more serious situation. In both accidents the response time of the medical, dive, and patrol boats was less than 15 seconds, so fast that by time we were able to get overhead in the helicopter divers were in the water and the situation was under control.

Some may say that the amount of patrol, medical, and dive boats we put out for a race is a bit of over-kill. I think that the events of this past Sunday prove that all of this is in place for a very good reason. To protect the racers and spectators of our events.

I watch a lot of offshore races on TV and I see divers being deployed from helicopters on a very regular basis. Why is this? I do not believe that other race sites provide the same level of safety on the water for their racers. I have been doing this for the past 16 years and to date we have not had to deploy our divers from the helicopter due to the outstanding coverage provided by the volunteers of NJOPRA.

Well once again I am glad that you guys are only just a little bit bruised up. The boat can always be fixed and if you can't fix it you can always buy a bigger and faster one.

Hope to see you racing in August

Scot Blue
NJOPRA Medical Safety Director

=============================

Bruce has recently informed me that he has already moved up from his 24’ Baja to a 28’ Pantera and will be back in August.

So, mark your calendar for the next race on Friday August 16th in Point Pleasant Beach. If your name is not on the list and you want to help, please fill out the following form and send it back to me ASAP as we are only a few weeks away from the green flag.

Do you have an email account? If so make sure you join the email list at www.njoffshore.com. Lots more info is sent out via email than is sent out through the post office. Pre race updates and post race results can only he had via email by joining the list.

See ya at the races,

Ron Polli
Director of Water Ops
Old 08-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Also expect to see a speed and flame show by JetSet one half hour prior to the start of the first race.
Attached Thumbnails Point Pleasant Race only 10 days away-jet-set-rideflamessmall.jpg  
Old 08-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron, just curious - why is the race on a weekday?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Our area is just too crowded on weekends in July and August. The CG won't allow a race on a weekend.

We had raced for years on a Wed. We moved it to Friday to make it more convienient for all concerned.

The May and June races were both held on a Sunday becuase it was before the season started.

Hope you can make the show!
Old 08-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks..that's what I figured. I'll be there, although my boss doesn't know it yet.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of weather are you expecting next week? We have raced there the past 3 years and it is always rough. Wind, seas, ect. temp.?
Old 08-06-2002, 04:27 PM
djm
Registered

Ron,

Is the boat/motorcade still happening? If so, what time/place?

Dan

BTW- I spotted Jet-Set in the Metedeconk a couple days back... AMAZING!!
Old 08-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Roger, we have had enough rough water races in the past few years to last a lifetime. For this year we have order the following.

Skies - Light puffy clouds with brilliant sunshine.
Winds - West at 5 mph
Air Temp - 82 degrees
Water Temp - 75 degrees
Humidity - 45%
Seas - 1 - 3 with no chop

Anything else you need? Seriously, the May races can get a bit rough (ok, 10 foot seas is more than a bit rough) but the summer race is usually very nice with a soft rolling swell. Good for high speeds and high flights.

Arrive early so you can attend the boat parade down Arnold Ave in Point Pleasant on Wed night at 6pm.

Dan, are you a water volunteer? If not, why not?
Old 08-06-2002, 05:05 PM
djm
Registered

My boat is for sale so I should've volunteered but I can't. I have a friend visiting from Florida and a wedding rehearsal/dinner to go to that day.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Come on now, those things are at night. We'll be done by 3pm. Give your buddy a little excitment in his life before he passes... I mean gets married.

Quick Reply: Point Pleasant Race only 10 days away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.