Notices

Virus alert system

Old 08-11-2002, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Virus alert system

HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!

I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in it's simplicity. As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads straight for your email address book, and sends itself to everyone in there,
thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert you to the fact, that the worm has gotten into your system.

Here's what you do: first, open your address book and click on "new contact" just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses. In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in AAAAAAA. In the window below where it prompts you to enter the new email address, type in [email protected] . Then complete everything by clicking add, enter, ok, etc.

Now, here's what you've done and why it works: The "name" AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as entry #1. This will be where the
worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be undeliverable because of the phony email address you entered ([email protected]). If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address), the worm usually goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your InBox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to [email protected] could not be delivered, you will know right away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of it!
Pretty slick huh?

If everybody you know does this then you needn't worry about opening mail from friends.

Pass this on to all your friends.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to disappoint you, but the first email trick doesn't work. Install a good anti-virus software, and let it scan incoming/outgoing email. Also run a complete scan of your system to verify you are clean. I got 2 emails within the last couple days that had the Klez virus attached. Norton 2002 caught it both times and it has been deleted.
http://www.snopes.com/
Look under computer, then computer virus, for hoaxes. The email entry is different, but the theory is the same.

Last edited by David; 08-11-2002 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Banned

I have norton antivirus, and it still got thru. It is still sending them out, so if you get one from me, don't open it. Sent off for some more software to try to clean this thing up. It sucks!!!!!
Old 08-11-2002, 09:22 PM
Steve_H

i got the klez virus also about a month ago.called msn and beleive it or not they told me how to get it off my system.ive installed norton 2002 since then and its caught the klez probably 10 different times since then

cuda you may want to go to the norton web site and update your software.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Registered

I am using Norton 2002. Make sure you are using the proper version for your OS. It was a free copy bundled with other purchased software. It has caught klez numerous times as well as a few other unwanted virus'.