Notices

Registered Vessel ?

Old 08-11-2002, 08:48 PM
ROUGHSTUFF

Default Registered Vessel ?

I have heard of people who have their boats as "resitered vessels" and they do not have MC numbers or state registration. I'm told this can only be done on a new boat purchase. Obviously, the incentive is to avoid paying sales tax when registering with the state. Has anybody ever done this or know how it works???

Old 08-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Steve_H

the boat doesnt have to be new.it just has to be big enough.i documented mine and its not a big deal to do.just some paperwork.your state will still require a registration fee but its usually cheaper then sales tax.

here a link that will answer everything.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/faq.htm

Old 08-11-2002, 09:56 PM
ROUGHSTUFF

lotoparty, thanks for the information!! When you went to register your boat in your state didn't they attempt to collect sales tax?? How do you get around that???

Old 08-11-2002, 10:01 PM
Steve_H

it been awhile since i did mine but i think all you have to do is show the state your coast guard documentation form.each state is probably different.you will have to ask your dmv what they require.

Old 08-11-2002, 10:12 PM
ROUGHSTUFF

lotoparty, I'm not real clear on the marking requirements for the boat. Can you explain specifically how you have your boat marked on the interior and on the port and starboard side of the hull.

Old 08-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Steve_H

unless its changed all you have to have is where the boat is from and name of boat on the transim.the registration number has to be on the inside if the boat.most people put it inside the engine compartment.i found a company close by to make vinyl lettering for me.easy to apply.http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=30638

theres a pic of my tramsom on the thread "discouraged"

Old 08-11-2002, 11:08 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can call a number on their website. they are very good about answering questions. I just changed the documentation on my boat. I bought it in May. It seems like a lot of boats from MO are documented. It is mostly a sales tax issue. IN has a 5% tax and I saved a fair amount of money by simply redocumenting it. There are some tital companies and banks that will charge from $200-400 to document a boat. All the coast guard charges is $85 so the rest they are sticking in their pocket. You can download the fors and do it all yourself!