Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat? >

Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat?

Notices

Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat?

We have a 2002 Powerquest Viper boat, we live and tow the boat mostly in IL. I use a 2008 F 250, 6.8 gas engine that states can tow a boat up to 11800 lbs. Several time we check the boat and trailer on a truck scale and both times between 11490 and 11670
most of the time we tow the boat with under 1/2 of a tank. Over the summer we were stopped and ticketed for over a combined length of 55 feet, were measured at 57'11 and the police officer said we need to buy a permit. That's ok next summer we will buy a
permit for the town of Winthrop Harbor IL, for the length. But now I hear I need a CDL lic to tow a 34 foot boat. I looked it up and cant
seem to find were that states that. Can anybody help me out that knows for sure?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

They probably have a Class A non CDL like I have in Texas. It is what you are supposed to have when driving a large RV or have a combined weight of over 26k and do it for persona use.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standard license is good for 16k, class c gets you to 25,999 and class a no weight limit, air brakes and combination vehicle. You'll need to get a medical card and now register it with the dmv for the class a. Not sure about the c. I honestly wouldn't get either just to pull your boat. If you wanna get technical, the truck needs a d plate to tow (over 7500 i believe not positive on the weight), and both the truck and trailer need to be inspected every year. And you'll be subjected to .04 alcohol limit with the heavier licence and plate. Just play dumb if you ask me unless you need the licence for something else.Illinois has lots of stupid rules. Like duals for over 10k trailer. Ill see if i can find the link.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Registered

Where I trailer, one need an endorsement towing over 4600kg [10120 lbs] be it a horse trailer/camper or boat/trailer etc..... The only difference between Canada and the US could be the code # itself .I think it will be standardized to all states eventually. Some states allow to operate air brake equipped motorhomes without endorsement even though GCVW can reach 40000lbs.. It is code 20 to tow over 10120 lbs here in BC and I think it's code 51 in the US. CDL is class 1 to operate tractor trailers. semis.

Last edited by spectras only; 11-01-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Registered

1) if the tow unit and boat & trailer exceed 55' yes you need a permit any time you are not on a designated route in the state of Illinois and yes 7th street in Winthrop harbor is not a designated route you must have a permit
2) if you have a b plate on your truck you are over weight towing anything. (my dodge weights 8080lbs full of fuel)
take your entire truck with boat and trailer to the truck stop at russell and weight it when both are fuel of fuel
make sure you keep that copy with you at all times
3) if your complete unit weights over 26000lbs gross you must have a cdl
otherwise you need to upgrade your license to a class c non cdl no medical card or drug test required
4) your tow unit should have a d plate and will need to be safety test and you powerquest and trailer should have at least a td plate and it also must be safety tested
remember
when you tow something that make you that big you are required to follow all the same rule as any semi on the road
do not use russell rd or any side roads
you can only travel on state or federal road like rt173 rt12 or i94 or i294
if you still have questions you can give me a call at my shop john 847-731-1400
Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I gotta ask - how much was the ticket?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I gotta ask - how much was the ticket?
That's what I am thinking?! Just keep on rolling!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Illinois is funny, and if I remember correctly, that town has a hard-on for large boats and tickets all of them that come though. It's been discussed on here before.

There are two resources that you need to look up:
http://www.isp.state.il.us/ The Illinois State Police
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...cles/home.html The Illinois Department of Vehicle Services
Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Registered

Jersey you can tow a 44 MTI on a tilt trailer with an S-10 and nobody says anything.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Jersey you can tow a 44 MTI on a tilt trailer with an S-10 and nobody says anything.
Exactly what went through my mind about the area I'm in.

Some of you guys live in some nazi controlled areas. Must suck. Where I come from we just hook up to the damn thing and go to the lake. A permit is what you get when you're 14 years old and learning to drive.

Around here 57' in total length of combined truck and trailer is nothing more than bragging rights. Hell, my house wasn't that long the last time I had it hooked up to my truck.

Buck

Last edited by buck183; 11-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.