Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do? >

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Notices

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tajinate
It does not have hydraulics as is now but I will be adding them when we get it all back together. I have a friend who is doing dual rams on his single bravo instead of the single ram he has now so I plan in using that. I've been told the standard bravo coupler should do the job but I'm still not sure since it would obviously be the easiest to swap that now before it goes back in.
I broke two of the standard couplers and had to remove the motor both times (get the steel nose one)

that much H/P needs a dual ram

Dont skim on safty
Old 01-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gnorthga
I broke two of the standard couplers and had to remove the motor both times (get the steel nose one)

that much H/P needs a dual ram

Dont skim on safty
What exactly makes that a neccesity? Not doubting you I just don't know enough about it to understand yet the reasoning behind it. I was under the impression the steering was more of a speed based issue. I'm learning a lot and have a lot to learn yet about what I'm getting into here. We had planned on just building about a 650hp engine originally but where we are now and keeping it all reliable and safe seems to be a project that's almost more than I can take on so I'm really just trying to get it back together without having to dump a whole lot more money into it. The engine pretty well ate up about all I had set aside for this so any more work has to be budgeted in somewhere else. We just finished building a new home and had not kept back much more than what has already been spent prior to paying out a large chunk of savings on this house since no one could seem to tell me the build was going way over. Everyone on here has been awesome about helping me out though, best boating place to be a member of!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

A new coupler before the engine goes in would be a good idea. I would use a steel one.
They cost about $400, but it would cost you a lot more if lets go and you have to have the engine pulled to replace it later.

Hyd steering, along with being a safety issue at higher speeds also takes stress off the gimbal ring and swivel pin.
You can by without it for now, but I would plan on it for the near future. Talk to Myrick. He won't steer you wrong.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 AM
Registered

I was planning on adding steering but was only going to put a single ram because I have one readily available locally for a very good price. What I was questioning was dual vs single ram setup for my setup, would the single not be sufficient? Sounds like I'll be getting a coupler too, any advice on where to get the steel one? Seems like all the couplers I find are the standard bravo type.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
A new coupler before the engine goes in would be a good idea. I would use a steel one.
They cost about $400, but it would cost you a lot more if lets go and you have to have the engine pulled to replace it later.

Hyd steering, along with being a safety issue at higher speeds also takes stress off the gimbal ring and swivel pin.
You can by without it for now, but I would plan on it for the near future. Talk to Myrick. He won't steer you wrong.
well said

and if a steering cable lets go you will kill everyone in the boat
Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got to look me up when you get it down to LOTO this year. I'd love to go for a ride in the same boat as mine with the added HP. As you said, we have to push the rpm's up to get the ride out of this hull. we usually plug along at 3800 rpms at a blistering 38 mph or so.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by tajinate
I was planning on adding steering but was only going to put a single ram because I have one readily available locally for a very good price. What I was questioning was dual vs single ram setup for my setup, would the single not be sufficient? Sounds like I'll be getting a coupler too, any advice on where to get the steel one? Seems like all the couplers I find are the standard bravo type.
Are you planning on doing an add on system or full hyd to the helm???

They are still Merc couplers. They make 3 kinds for Bravo's. Aluminum, steel and steel w/ long snout.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Registered

When I was looking at add on systems single ram vs twin ram I was told single would be fine, and that going full hydraulic vs add on double ram would be way better
Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Are you planning on doing an add on system or full hyd to the helm???

They are still Merc couplers. They make 3 kinds for Bravo's. Aluminum, steel and steel w/ long snout.
Talked with Myrick about it today and he said they have seen the standard bravo couplers hold up just fine in high hp boats but it's just kind of whatever I prefer to use in the end. Also, as to the steering as for now it will be a single ram add on and will probably build on that once I can, need to just get this thing back up and running so I have a chance to get on the lake this year! Maybe next winter watch for someone ditching a helm and go from there. Also looking into a B-max upgrade from another member who may be taking his off. May be steep now but at least my good condition Bravo is still worth something now, not so much after it bombs and then I have to buy a new drive anyway!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I ran twin 850s with bmaxs on my 42 with merc couplers never spun or stripped one, just grease and align it I think your boat is light enough to handle it,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.