Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wanna see a real boat race?...or ........How Mercury became magic. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/307107-wanna-see-real-boat-race-how-mercury-became-magic.html)

T2x 01-06-2014 10:18 AM

Wanna see a real boat race?...or ........How Mercury became magic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

phragle 01-06-2014 10:47 AM

That rocked!!

the deep 01-06-2014 10:47 AM

Yep , damn cruiser wake again......Nice look back at more innocent times . Thank you for sharing , you apparently built one heck of a boat .

lightning jet 01-06-2014 05:56 PM

Thanks for sharing, Nina Wisconsin is a great little town I had the chance to visit around eight years ago on a trip to CMI with a race boat that needed some custom work done.

MissGeicoRacing 01-06-2014 06:03 PM

"Thick as Mackerel"...Like riding an explosion"... These videos are priceless. I heard Sebolds name in the end.. Assuming it was Bills father Mike and Tim's grandfather? Great stuff Rich. Thanks

Consider this... 1 piston on 1 of our Mercury engines in Miss Geico makes more HP than 8 of the fast Mercury powered "D" boats in this race. Guess they still are Magic huh. Top three spots in KW as well.

boostbros 01-07-2014 08:54 AM

yet they shorten the course in KW so much because its to rough for our 50 foot 4000hp "boats" lets just have a fire them up at the dock and see whos the loudest contest!after all we can,t have the tv screens in the cockpit getting wet no wonder boat racing is dead ! i have people scream at me if i can,t get their sat Tv working on their yacht they can,t leave the dock! yet i just read about a guy in the late 40s did the great loop from fl thru the canal and great lakes down the missippii to new orleans then across the gulf back to fl in a 17 foot grumman canoe with a 2hp evinrude he carried a sleeping bag pup tent 5 gal of fuel and spare parts(piston, connecting rod and 4 spark plugs) he was 50 years old and his name was frank casper the trip took 5 months amazing story Rich you need this book" the encyclopedia of outboard motorboating" by hank bowman 1955 is has a fasinating racing and history section

skate 01-07-2014 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 4052906)

Thanks Rich! Makes me wish I had been born earlier!

Tell Darren Will and Sam say hello.

Jason3603 01-07-2014 02:02 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

MissGeicoRacing 01-07-2014 05:13 PM

Boost no disrespect intended but you kinda sound like the guy on the Yacht with the broken TV :) You know the racers don't make the rules or set the courses in KW and not one racer I know would have backed away from running flat out in the rough. . We actually had to deal with last min course changes on top of the initial change. The promoter realized that his fleet would be decimated by breakdowns because every racer would push EVERY limit to win the championship. I don't think he was worried about the big guys as much as the smaller boats that didn't have the budget and spares. More and than anything they knew if there was a mishap it would prove very difficult to perform a rescue and we all agree we don't want to lose anymore guys. We are not going 40 MPH in flat bottom lake racers or 60-80 mph in big resin buckets like yesteryear (no disrespect to those era's either). It always amazes me how racers can be killed, boats be deck to deck and it's never enough. The current racing teams are pushing performance limits in todays boats in both HP, handeling and speed yet people still complain. We are shearing steel mounts and shafts designed to withstand unbelievable amounts of force and pressure as we push to run faster in rougher water yet......" Were not racing" "it's to slow".."it would only be racing if there were more boats". I only wish more had a taste of what it's truly like in the boats.

Looking forward to a great year of racing action.

Beak Boater 01-07-2014 06:27 PM

I though I saw Reggie standing on the shore line watching. LOL....thanks for sharing Rich