Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fla boating mid February!!  Any advice? >

Fla boating mid February!! Any advice?

Notices

Fla boating mid February!! Any advice?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fla boating mid February!! Any advice?

Hi gang, long time no see. Finalizing plans for a mid Feb trip to Fla with the 36OL. Plan is to make it to Orlando on the 9th and meet up with ChrisK. Then, do some boating up around Daytona/Tampa.. On Fri the 24th we head to Ft. Lauderdale and have a room with slip reserved at the Hilton on 17th street. Plan on hitting the Miami show on that Saturday then checkout is on Sunday. Back to Orlando that night.

Aside from doing a lunch run to Gilberts, any suggestions on stops or places to see via water?
Any tips on south fla boating? Salt? This will be my first time running my boat in the salt so anything will be appreciated. Do have fresh water hookups on the boat and will change out the anodes on the drives.

Looking forward to the trip..
Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

1) Get the right "card" for your GPS that shows the south Florida region
2) Bring shorts
3) Be careful on the intercoastal in Ft Lauderdale they have decible restrictions (however you can play the "im not from here" card)
4) Dont get too excited about running outside. That time of year could be 2 feet but it could be 6 feet too... More than likely rough.
5) Almost all south Florida ramps have water. Bring your own hose and stuff to flush. Most dont have hoses but do have a spigot.

Cant speak as to navigating south from the Hilton but if you go north: (in order)
Houstons - Ft Lauderdale
The Cove - Boca
Deck 84 - Delray
Two Georges/Banana Boat - Boynton
Key Lime House - Lantana
Bradleys & Downtown West Palm Beach
Peanut Island & Sailfish Marina
Turn around and go home... This will take the whole day. Dont make plans, you will be wasted and sunburn...
Old 01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

crc everything in your eng comp before hitting the salt, wd40 has a new formula it sucks a big one as far as protection from salt corrosion... oh and stay away from the crack hos on federal hwy. lol
Old 01-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

Navigation - There is a little shoul just N of 17th on the ICW. Its marked with preferred channel markers. Its a large triangle, stay to the W if your headed downtown. Stay to the E if your headed N. If running at night do not hug the ICW edges as there are many unlit channel markers that could saw you in half. Weekends and Holidays before 7pm the ICW is no wake for the Manatees at this time of year.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Registered

when in the Orlando area . call RaceBoat Rus , I will be glad to welcome you to the area and also buy you lunch . . It will be Puetorican food , and also if any of you come by Central Fl I will buy you lunch also . ,, Rus 407 760 3481 [email protected] ... I will be going to the miami show also ..
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My advice to you is to stay down in that area as long as possible. Some of your best boating experiences will be from Lauderdale and south; and/or east 60 miles if you guys have your passports (Bahamas). Tons to see and explore! My first time in that area our group had an open float plan for two weeks after the key west worlds and had logged some of the best hours in my life on a boat. You might like it so much you'll leave the boat and rig down there and just weekend in till spring.

Rat is correct, CRC the heck of all engine room and bring a hose/soap for clean up on the hook at the end of each day. You are in for the time of your life! Enjoy!!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Registered

I lived in Orlando for a couple of years and have been to the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area numerous times but its always been on land. I really appreciate all of the suggestions by everybody. I definately look forward to the trip with the boat. Once we are done with the vacation, the boat will be staying with Chris at his house in Orlando till the weather breaks up here. Cheaper to go back and get it than re-winterize the boat for one month. As for the exhaust, I have captains call on the boat so that's not a problem. I do appreciate the tips on the no wake and noise laws. Any other tips will be appreciated..
Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

If you stop by Flip Flops on the South side of Oakland Park on the ICW tell them Captain Chad from "Plane Fun" sent you. Ann is the owner, and Robert and Shawn will poor you the best drink in Lauderdale. If its Friday or Sunday we will probably be there, on a Tiara Open.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Sounds like a plan. Any suggestions on where I can get an update card for my GPS? Its a Garmin GPSmap 162.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Sounds like a plan. Any suggestions on where I can get an update card for my GPS? Its a Garmin GPSmap 162.
That is an old GPS. I would suggest using your phone with Navionics if you need something immediate. The blue chart original cards are no longer sold for that unit I'm pretty sure. If you just want a newer basic unit, I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade. The new GPS even the low end are levels above the 162. Give ebay a try you might get lucky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-BLUEC...cd49ae&vxp=mtr I think that will work if you have the card slot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.