The biggest water you ever ran fast in?

Notices

The biggest water you ever ran fast in?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

Location: Solomons Island, MD, Vero Beach and Punta Gorda, FL
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Bahamas - 600 miles, 6 days in a Cig

I don't post much but I told myself that if this boat got me around the Hole in the Wall (lower Abacos) to the Berry Islands (pretty darn rough with nothing between you and Europe) in one piece, that I would write something nice about the Cafe.

I will try to shorten this - so we left Ft. Pierce for Walkers Cay with 3-5 footers for the crossing. From there to Green Turtle Cay (Sara and the bar Pineapples - NICE) to March Harbour, around the lower Abacos to the Berry Islands ( the Bahamian police still can't figure out where we hid the Coke in the Berries) to Bimini (yuck) to Miami with big 8-10 footers but spread wide. From there on to Key West to meet the wives for New Years.

The 10 year old Cafe took all the water and had no mechanical problems for the entire trip - You think an awful lot between land with no one out there this time of year.

Anyway like I said, I promissed that I would write something nice.

Ed
Old 01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

About 90MPH in 5-6' seas going down the middle of the Long Island Sound in my 41' APACHE. It got bigger closer to home and broke the ears of my go pro camera on a hard hit pissed me off. Look out the side of the boat you would think you were going to die!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my little boat [ 25'7" ]

45 mph in the same snot across from this 35'er he was on the port side of me

Was in bigger water in bigger boats though.
Want to be on this one anything over 6'

Last edited by spectras only; 01-16-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

This "real vs OSO wave height" thing is a little insulting. I think most of us can judge wave height and also consider input from radio reports and talking with other boaters at the harbor. They never look as big on video.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fandango
Bahamas - 600 miles, 6 days in a Cig

I don't post much but I told myself that if this boat got me around the Hole in the Wall (lower Abacos) to the Berry Islands (pretty darn rough with nothing between you and Europe) in one piece, that I would write something nice about the Cafe.

I will try to shorten this - so we left Ft. Pierce for Walkers Cay with 3-5 footers for the crossing. From there to Green Turtle Cay (Sara and the bar Pineapples - NICE) to March Harbour, around the lower Abacos to the Berry Islands ( the Bahamian police still can't figure out where we hid the Coke in the Berries) to Bimini (yuck) to Miami with big 8-10 footers but spread wide. From there on to Key West to meet the wives for New Years.

The 10 year old Cafe took all the water and had no mechanical problems for the entire trip - You think an awful lot between land with no one out there this time of year.

Anyway like I said, I promissed that I would write something nice.

Ed
Nice!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
About 90MPH in 5-6' seas going down the middle of the Long Island Sound in my 41' APACHE. It got bigger closer to home and broke the ears of my go pro camera on a hard hit pissed me off. Look out the side of the boat you would think you were going to die!
Yeah...good 'ol LIS. The waves compress the closer you get to the closed end, I usually find that after Bridgeport it begins doing that.

LIS 6's are just turn-around conditions for me.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Yeah...good 'ol LIS. The waves compress the closer you get to the closed end, I usually find that after Bridgeport it begins doing that.

LIS 6's are just turn-around conditions for me.
Not to many people are going to get the wave HT on the LIS! Far from the ocean on the distance between them. When we lost the go pro we where running through 9'+ seas going around Eaton's Neck Lighthouse. Was not a good time then.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

I have had a few insane great days off the shore of NJ. There is nothing better than soft ocean swells that are far apart. Running 65-75 in a 27-30 foot boat and launching off some 4-5 waves is what hooked me. You cant explain it ,you cant sell it, and it only happens once in a while. I'm not into beating the hell out of my boat so when its just plain snotty why bother. Its the nice rollers that does it for me. Its like this is soooooooo right I hope we never turn around. Put 10 yards of air under your boat (length not height) and do it level and you cant stop smiling.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Two times I have gotten back to the dock and questioned why I was alive.

1) 2004 Deerfield National Championships: It was only 4-6' but we left the Sparco seats in the boat instead of changing to the bolsters. I spent 80% of my effort just trying to stay in the boat, 20% on how I was driving. As the only open boat we settled into 4th place of 7 after the 2nd lap. Due to attrition we were still 4th, but the last boat, after lap 4. Like idiots we kept racing knowing we couldn't really gain and our place in NC points was a lock as well. After we got back to the dock we realized we could have pulled off on lap 5 with no change in any points or positions.

2) 2005 Lauderdale Air Show and SBI races. I ran the OSO 24' Spectre SINGLE CC out of Port everglades to lead the boats to milling. Going out the inlet was 12-15' EASY and one of the boats later told me we were getting huge air in the CC and I needed to remember I wasn't racing anymore.

The race itself was awesome as the SuperVee class and SuperCat class could lay the throttles hard because the waves were about 200-300' apart at about 8'. Made the most amazing show of air and rooster kicks ever. It was a great show from the infield.

Laud 2005 pic:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...-2223&cat=3047

Last edited by Cash Bar; 01-16-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see anyone with serious offshore pleasure boast going out in 15' seas at the Columbia River bar,lol we have similar conditions here at the Fraser River delta leading to the Georgia Strait when the tide running out and wind blowing in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_EtUo5mXHw

Last edited by spectras only; 01-16-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.