Dual ram full hydraulic steering ram question >

Dual ram full hydraulic steering ram question

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the dual rams mounted on my single engine Advantage 28. After some playing and contemplating, I decided to mount the rams " upside down". Meaning the fittings come out the bottom of the ram instead of the top, simply for ascetics. Anyone see a problem with this? All the boats I've seen have the fittings on top. I don't see a problem, no binding, or damage to hoses, just looks better. Anyone done this or have input on this???? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TROR
Just got the dual rams mounted on my single engine Advantage 28. After some playing and contemplating, I decided to mount the rams " upside down". Meaning the fittings come out the bottom of the ram instead of the top, simply for ascetics. Anyone see a problem with this? All the boats I've seen have the fittings on top. I don't see a problem, no binding, or damage to hoses, just looks better. Anyone done this or have input on this???? Thanks.
I have a similar set up, the hull mounts had the fittings on top as mounted so thats the way it is, if you are starting with a fresh transom i dont see why you could not turn every thing over and have the hoses run out under the rams, make sure you wont have any interference problems inside. I dont see any interference problems outside.

However, bleeding the lines/rams may be a ***** with the fittings down, convention always has the rams with the fittings up on equipment. May be for good reason.

Having said that, you could rotate the rams up to bleed them and then turn em back over.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Registered

My hoses go through the transom on the outside holes on the bracket, so I can turn them up or down with no difference on the hoses. Waiting on the column ring to fill/ bleed system. should be here tomorrow, thanks for the info on bleeding though. Its always a hard decision to differ away from the normal set up, but looking at a couple of polished rams seems way better than looking at fittings!! Like you said, bleeding may be an issue, but once air is out, shouldn't be a problem??? Will let you guys know.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

The rams don't have to be installed to be bled.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered

I blew a line last year and bleed the lines with the cap off didn't have to touch the line once I installed it. I would guess it wouldn't make a difference
Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Registered

So an update, it was kind of a pain to bleed, but got it done. Took the boat out on Pueblo Reservoir the other day( yes a lake that's not frozen in Colorado) and steering works amazing!!! No more chine walk, and no more hunting going slow. Great upgrade!!!! BTW, Bill at Diamond performance is a great guy to deal with! Highly recommended!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's mine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518192[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Dual ram full hydraulic steering ram question-dscn0241-small-.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TROR
So an update, it was kind of a pain to bleed, but got it done. Took the boat out on Pueblo Reservoir the other day( yes a lake that's not frozen in Colorado) and steering works amazing!!! No more chine walk, and no more hunting going slow. Great upgrade!!!! BTW, Bill at Diamond performance is a great guy to deal with! Highly recommended!
Congratulations

Bleeding any dry system is a pain, it seems.

One thing to note, on my system it still felt like there was a restriction when I tried to go lock to lock with the wheel. I tried an upgraded pump from the rock-crawling people for higher flow/pressure, this caused me to throw the belt at 6k rpm. I was already running full synthetic fluid , the magnet inside the reservoir was clean, so I removed the inline hydraulic line filter mounted on the pressure side of the char-lynn helm. That made a tremendous difference, steering was consistent from idle to WOT. I am sure a bigger inline filter would work, however I choose not to use one now. (it's been three years)

I now think that the filter is more likely to cause problems that solve one. I do think it's a good idea to run one on a new system until it's flushed any debris through
Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fittings down.... never had a filter in the system.... no problems - best thing you can do to a performance boat especially if you like to play in the rough and enjoy some air ....

and yes, bleeding a new system is a blast....
Attached Thumbnails Dual ram full hydraulic steering ram question-4885_1106010722882_363197_n.jpg   Dual ram full hydraulic steering ram question-1185499_10201055025550212_1258096957_n.jpg  

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 02-08-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Registered

I think the main reason that most boats are rigged with the fittings up is to keep the thru hull fittings on the transom above the water line. With that said as long as there sealed properly you should not have any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.