Notices

Fountain vs Sutphen

Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
I was warned by many and even my survey guy that the 32' fountain (which was another boat I looked at) has bad issues with stress cracks at or near the step (depending the year) due to a bad lay up.

Looker at 2 and both had those cracks. If it's not common then i just have crap luck to find 2 back to back with that issue.
I dont know about that,,been boating for a long time and owned some Bajas,(I know) sea rays,6-7 Powerquest boats,,when I sold my last PQ 1 1/2 ago I wanted to buy a 38 Fountain,,could not find the right one so I ran across a 32 Fountain,I was with out a boat and thought I would bye the 32 and sell it once I found the 38 I liked, never been in a Fountain all I knew was what I had heard and most was not that good I flew to California looked at and bought and payed for it the same day,it was in a lot so I never took it for a test drive,on the flight back home I was thinking to my self I hope this boat rides as good as my last couple of boats and it be ok for the time been,three days later the boat was home and I took it out for a ride,once I realized I had to use my left hand because my right hand was now there to hold my drink and not throttle the boat we went for a spin,2 minutes into my test drive I was pleased with the ride and spending some time on the boat I could tell you its put together good,
stress cracks? I have 2 on the port rear cleat, I have seen a lot of boats with stress cracks,some say its normal.

Did your survey guy mention to you about some issues that some boat builders had when they switched to vacuum bagging ?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Woe to the Miller Lite on a T-Dock "Dock Day." lol
I thought everyday is a dock day on T dock????
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I hear ya. Maybe this summer, you can drive my pontoon while I jump its wake with my Fountain. Just tell your girl to bring the SLR camera and newest go pro for that footage. I'll mount a go pro next to my throttles so I can show how to properly throttle in rough water.
Sorry my friend, i do not drive pontoons!!! I relax in them with a drink and a cigar. I have no problems being the navigator
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W8MDMkxP-2A 30' Sutphen in Cape Cod Bay...unreal
Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Mines been around for 37 YRS !
Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Having been on an A-boat race team during that era, the Heartbeat Fountain was the boat to beat. Fountain was also quickly becoming the boat to beat in a lot of other classes as well. The Factory boat and Ohio Steel really shook up the big V guys when they came along.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Wondering how an old Fountain 33 would stack up against a sutphen 33. The Fountain is really a 29ft boat, with a pad bottom and are known to suck in rough water. The Sutphen is a rough water animal. True 33 ft boat with deep vee. They dominate the rough seas.

I think this video is bs. Had the seas been bigger the sutphen would have outran the flat water river boat Fountain hull. I bet the sutphen guys were sipping martinis while the guys in the Fountain needed sippee cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2YxQLSDhh0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Grasshopper you speak perfectly well about something to which you know nothing about! Not BS!

The Fountain was a purpose built race boat as well as the Sutphen. I was in that very race in a much slower boat and saw them fly by us in big water bridging the wave tops on the backside of the race course in KW. Very impressive. We always Knew the Sutphens were built like tanks but were surprised at how well the Fountain held up.

The Sutphen "Buck Shot" spun out hard in one race and only blew out the motor vents. I was in the helicopter at a later race between these two with Jeff from Freeze Frame when Heartbeat the Fountain eventually tripped and stuffed breaking the boat in half and injuring the team. Both guys had really big ones and knew how to air it out. Still the most impressive driving I've ever seen.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Grasshopper you speak perfectly well about something to which you know nothing about! Not BS!

The Fountain was a purpose built race boat as well as the Sutphen. I was in that very race in a much slower boat and saw them fly by us in big water bridging the wave tops on the backside of the race course in KW. Very impressive. We always Knew the Sutphens were built like tanks but were surprised at how well the Fountain held up.

The Sutphen "Buck Shot" spun out hard in one race and only blew out the motor vents. I was in the helicopter at a later race between these two with Jeff from Freeze Frame when Heartbeat the Fountain eventually tripped and stuffed breaking the boat in half and injuring the team. Both guys had really big ones and knew how to air it out. Still the most impressive driving I've ever seen.
My original post was meant in sarcasm since most on oso say Fountains suck in rough water.

So heartbeat also tripped and stuffed broke in half and injured the team like buck shot did?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy crap, I guess we need a SARCASM button MT?!!! I can pictures faces getting red as the blood pressure rises and the keys get struck harder. LMAO
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
I dont know about that,,been boating for a long time and owned some Bajas,(I know) sea rays,6-7 Powerquest boats,,when I sold my last PQ 1 1/2 ago I wanted to buy a 38 Fountain,,could not find the right one so I ran across a 32 Fountain,I was with out a boat and thought I would bye the 32 and sell it once I found the 38 I liked, never been in a Fountain all I knew was what I had heard and most was not that good I flew to California looked at and bought and payed for it the same day,it was in a lot so I never took it for a test drive,on the flight back home I was thinking to my self I hope this boat rides as good as my last couple of boats and it be ok for the time been,three days later the boat was home and I took it out for a ride,once I realized I had to use my left hand because my right hand was now there to hold my drink and not throttle the boat we went for a spin,2 minutes into my test drive I was pleased with the ride and spending some time on the boat I could tell you its put together good,
stress cracks? I have 2 on the port rear cleat, I have seen a lot of boats with stress cracks,some say its normal.

Did your survey guy mention to you about some issues that some boat builders had when they switched to vacuum bagging ?

I never asked a question that specific.

I was down to my current boat or a 32 fountain (2 of them). I only wanted to pay for one survey so he gave me simple clues to look for myself to see if I could rule out one or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.