Short Boat long K-Planes?? CL Find >

Short Boat long K-Planes?? CL Find

Notices

Short Boat long K-Planes?? CL Find

Old 03-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I found them to be dangerous on my 28 pad bottom boat, ended taking them off and selling, they did not add speed, did add a little in intermediate water, the one time the switch or relay stuck it threw the boat on it's side, nearly throwing two people out the boat at 70+ mph.

I like them just fine on a heavier v bottom boat, just not on a light fast hull.
Which is exactly why I would consider putting them on the IMP. Cause she is one heavy sum biotch! Im also low 70's at WOT. About as far as I'll ever want to take this boat.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I'm putting 280's on a 16' Donzi let ya know how that works.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I am curious....What brand was this 28 pad bottom?

Thanks,

Padraig

I found them to be dangerous on my 28 pad bottom boat, ended taking them off and selling, they did not add speed, did add a little in intermediate water, the one time the switch or relay stuck it threw the boat on it's side, nearly throwing two people out the boat at 70+ mph.

I like them just fine on a heavier v bottom boat, just not on a light fast hull.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
I'm putting 280's on a 16' Donzi let ya know how that works.
Well that boat is worthy of such hardware!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Wait till you see the imco scx-4 the guy is buying for it!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SCX-4? I think I need to refi the house...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had an 88 22 velocity with 550 hp, bravo, no external steering and no tabs and you had to drive the hell out of it. she ran just shy of 90 mph.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I would thing big tabs on a small boat you would need to find a way to slow them down a bit. I can lay my little resin bucket on its side in the blink of an eye if Im not carefull, and that's with 12" lencos,
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Nothing wrong with running longer trim tabs - as long as you can pick them up all the way when you don' need them. The longer tabs effectively lengthen the hull by the length of the tab - but don't add as much drag as a hull that long would.

Here's the rub on this particular boat. Note that the ad says it has "fixed K-planes." And if you look closely at the picture, that's exactly what they are - fixed and non-adjustable. That's not exactly what I'd want.
Hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Trim tabs do not increase the top speed of a hull. What they do is increase the speed one can safely run in snotty conditions. For a smaller boat, big tabs - mounted and used correctly - can make a huge difference in how well that hull takes rough water.

I will agree that the longer the tab, the more leverage it can apply to a given hull. That said, dropping one all the way down unexpectedly would cause a real problem. In all of my years of boating though, I've never had one go down by itself. I did have one experience similar to yours though on a test drive of a 32' cruiser with a fly bridge - which we were driving from. After I'd shown the prospective buyer how everything worked, he took the helm. As we were clipping along at a stately 25 MPH or so, he casually asked "What's this do?" as he leaned on the port tab down switch. Before I noticed what he was playing with, the Titanic heeled over to starboard hard - almost throwing me on top of him. I slapped the sticks back to idle to save the ship, then explained what he'd done. He didn't buy the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.