Notices

Desert Storm changes..

Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by baditude
My comments was not about what was said about running fast or competitve drving, it was about the people that actually belive actuaries and underwriters of insurance companies lurk the forums for information.
all joking aside, a good friend of mine was (and i say, "was", as he recently retired --- again ---- lol) one of the "decision maker's" for a 1st tier insurer. he not only kept up with comments here, but would call, usually the morning of the runs, and again at the end of the event, inquiring accordingly - desert storm, specifically.

i am trying to stay neutral with my response, which is difficult. you may be surprised how many folks were not renewed and/or dropped and are running beside you with either an insurance program that will not cover your needs, or, as mentioned in my last post, without insurance ---- due to their inquiries. remember, it's not about who can "afford" the insurance. it's about how the boater's responsibility play's out and the insurer's risk intel thereof.

didn't mean to derail the topic......... over-and-out.

joe
Old 03-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skater40
Yes-poor or non-existent crowd control.You would think that the sheriffs dept or coast guard auxiliary would help out but they are no where to be found on the day of the poker run.
Originally Posted by mcprodesign
yes that and not enough rafting up going on. Like Loto!!
Two of my b!tches about DS race day. LOTO has a much more effective system. First couple boats volunteer boats with No Wake banners as boats approach the No Wake Zone, encouraging slow down. Followed closely behind with WP enforcing the No Wake.
IF DS does get enough support boats the next question is - can the West Coast "all about me" attitude be redirected into courtesy and respecting the No Wake for the sake of both racers and specators?
Finally, most spectators had no clue how to raft, enough fenders or decent anchor.

In one defense, there are not as many cruisers at DS as at LOTO Shootout so there are fewer solid anchors. But I didn't see many even trying.
Great weekend, they just have some learning yet to do.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe
all joking aside, a good friend of mine was (and i say, "was", as he recently retired --- again ---- lol) one of the "decision maker's" for a 1st tier insurer. he not only kept up with comments here, but would call, usually the morning of the runs, and again at the end of the event, inquiring accordingly - desert storm, specifically.

i am trying to stay neutral with my response, which is difficult. you may be surprised how many folks were not renewed and/or dropped and are running beside you with either an insurance program that will not cover your needs, or, as mentioned in my last post, without insurance ---- due to their inquiries. remember, it's not about who can "afford" the insurance. it's about how the boater's responsibility play's out and the insurer's risk intel thereof.

didn't mean to derail the topic......... over-and-out.

joe

All the players who write high performance insurance are members here and post regularly. People are crazy to think there comments and actions are not noticed....
Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been a member of this and other forums for a LONG time, and one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that I would NEVER base any kind of financial decision (such as rating customers for insurance) on any of the overinflated self serving BS posted on these sites about individuals and how they may operate their boats.
I would venture to say that 95% of the people that post about incidents were not even there, and 70% of them may not even own boats!
Point is, very few people here know me or any of those on here that have higher performance boats, so I can't imagine anyone would take any kind of word from those who are without clue.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So….

I've been looking at this 55 MTI
Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orthobam
So….

I've been looking at this 55 MTI
Hahahahaha. Yep I hear ya.
Sorry for the rant, ignorance annoys me.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah,

I don't think Devin is going to deny my insurance because I said I was going to outrun you in a foot race (which I could do running backwards with that bad wheel of yours).

He sort of liked the fact that I have never had a moving violation, DUI, and had taken the Tres Martin course.

There wasn't any section of the application that stated "list the internet boating forums you are on and your screen name so I can research and see your real insurance risk"
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
There wasn't any section of the application that stated "list the internet boating forums you are on and your screen name so I can research and see your real insurance risk"
But there is the section stating to never wear a purple shirt......and you never follow it.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

From RDP about DS 2014...

Originally Posted by skater40
Markel canceled all "ultra" policies of which there were 12.They have also reviewed and canceled several DCBs and other brands.They will only insure boats up to 120 mph.I am told that this was a result of the DCB accident at Desert Storm last year that got them to reacess there risk.
The poker run this year has NO first group.All boats will be let loose to proceed to the 5 card stops that will all be open in any order they choose after they exit the channel to the north.
As far as the shootout,there is insurance for all participants thru Wozencraft insurance.All boat owners insurance policies have exclusions of coverage in timed or speed events so Wozencraft has a master policy in place for the participants.
Mike Bobbitt,Don London,Jon Roth and myself will be spectators.I plan to be at the street fair on display but don't know about the others.
Edit: here's a link to the conversation
http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...t=desert+storm

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 03-12-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added link