Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Glue in Carpeting?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30903-glue-carpeting.html)

Dave1972 08-13-2002 08:54 PM

Glue in Carpeting??

I will be putting in new 40oz rubber backed glue in carpeting this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows how much glue I will need and the best type to use? The carpeting is from R&R textiles and will cover the floors in the forward berth/cuddy area, the floor of the cuddy, under the midcabin seats in the cuddy, the cabin floor, and possibly the bilge floor on each side of the motor. The boat is a 25' Eliminator V-bottom. Anyone know any secrets to installing this stuff? How big of a glue trowel to use? Type of adhesive? Best way to put in (rough cut to size, glue in, and trim; or, exact cut to size, glue in, and on to the next)???

Please help as I have a ton of work to do this weekend to get the boat ready for the LOTO trip!!!

Thanks in advance,
Dave

glassdave 08-13-2002 10:21 PM

3M's landau top and trim adhesive #08046. that stuff is the best. i used less than 2 gallons on my mirage an i did the floors, sides and foot well. aprox 150 sq foot ( atleast thats how much carpet i used, 12x13 foot piece) i bought a 5 gal drum for about 90 bucks. thought i would use more than i did :rolleyes: use a cheap spitter type gun if you can find one or somthing like a devilbess MBC.

glassdave 08-13-2002 10:30 PM

geez i posted before i read your whole post . . .i rough cut and trimmed after it set. spray (works best when sprayed) glue on floor and carpet, let sit for a few minutes and install, than trim. the glue will feel dry but not real tackey but dont worry once you join the piece to the floor it grabs.

looks like your doing bout the same as i did cept i did the sides of cabin. gallon ought to do but two to be safe.

cuda 08-13-2002 11:27 PM

I just put new in my 20 footer. I used the stuff from Home Depot, just be sure it is indoor outdoor stuff. Used two gallons. Get the 1/8 th inch v notch trowel. We ruff cut it, layed it in, folded over one side, glued it down, folded the other side over, and glued it down. Trimmed after set.

Bo Knows 08-13-2002 11:36 PM

Just put new carpet in my boat 2 weeks ago. Used 2 cans of 3m spray adhesive to do a 6x8 foot section. Worked great. It takes a little while to dry so you can move the carpet around a little if you have to.

Bo

Dave1972 08-14-2002 08:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking I'll probably follow cuda's lead and hit home depot for the adhesive....is it in a gallon container or how does it come? I don't have a spray-gun or I would probably go with glassdave's recommendation.

Any suggestions on getting the old glue off fast and easy?

Thanks again for the help!!

Dave