750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty >

750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty

Notices

750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Cheap pistons, cheap oil pan, cheap balancer, no name valves in the heads (possibly a pre-assembled set of heads), cheap accessory brackets (steel V belt brackets), no exhaust, no motor mounts, no bell housing, no coupler, etc. There is no mention of an oil thermostat, gauge senders, alarm senders, etc.
It's not a bad piece for the money and I'm certainly not bashing it. However, if you change out all of the lesser expensive parts for top notch stuff, add the parts that are missing and you will easily exceed 35K. You will have 6K in a serpentine accessory system and headers alone.

We have found that most guys buying something in that power range are first time custom engine buyers, They previously had stock Mercury engines and are afraid of superchargers. So, they go for a big NA engine. However, usually within 1-2 years, they are wanting more. Some less than that. They get a little taste of some power and got to have more. For that reason, we end up supercharging about 60% of the engines we build in the power range at some point in their life. If the parts are not there to support it, you have to start all over. If you build it to handle whatever you can throw at it, then you are good to go for whatever you want to do.

This looks like a good deal if you plan on keeping it like it is. Bottom line, just like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Eddie
LOL - Really?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhite
Why do you disagree? Where should torque peak be on a boat motor?

The spread is usually around 1400rpm or so. But, I personally think a closer spread is a good thing as long as there is still a fat torque curve.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RebarBox
LOL - Really?
Yes, really. The guy asked where did they use cheaper parts and I simply pointed it out. I also pointed out that it doesn't sound like a 100% complete drop in piece. Guys wanted to know why it was cheaper than others. My post explained why. i never said anything bad about the engine or the builder, since I know nothing about either. Just answering a few questions.
Eddie
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, really. The guy asked where did they use cheaper parts and I simply pointed it out. I also pointed out that it doesn't sound like a 100% complete drop in piece. Guys wanted to know why it was cheaper than others. My post explained why. i never said anything bad about the engine or the builder, since I know nothing about either. Just answering a few questions.
Eddie
Well put. Some people just don"t get it. You get what you pay for..
Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With what you know now from all the responses you can now go ahead and get more details and then you can decide to move forward or come back and ask for futher assistance here. Don't know the company so will not offer any opinion. Just remember in the end you reserched it the best you could and made the decision which way to go. As one of the members advised be sure you build it the best possible way that suits your requirements now and in the future. Know too many people that have built engines based on thier current needs and then wanted more power and ended up blowing them up or spending way more than it would have cost to build them right the first time. Good Luck
Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Eddie
I'll buy that - My apologies, I read out of context or the bourbon was making me feisty.

Chad
Old 03-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger
Can you imagine a tractor pulling engine costing as much as boat engines?? There would not be any tractor pulls. Same strain.
Call Goodwin Competition and ask them how much a tractor pulling engine costs. Their new marine 1850 came from a design that they use for tractor pulls.

Last edited by drpete3; 03-14-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Good components cost a lot of money. I had a performance parts warehouse package price some 598's with tunnel ram carbs. I thought I could have some of our good local machnists do the work and come out a lot cheaper than the marine builders. Just the parts for the engines were about 12k. This was with no marine accessories, bell housings, headers. And all the parts weren't top shelf. The marine builders know little things about rigging and set up that if not done right can cause catastrophe with the best "parts" There are some individuals who have the knowledge to do all this themselves and save their money and that's great and satisfying for them. I know enough to be dangerous. I realized that and had Eddie build my engines the right way and rig them in the boat. It is costly but less costly than redoing mistakes.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Good components cost a lot of money. I had a performance parts warehouse package price some 598's with tunnel ram carbs. I thought I could have some of our good local machnists do the work and come out a lot cheaper than the marine builders. Just the parts for the engines were about 12k. This was with no marine accessories, bell housings, headers. And all the parts weren't top shelf. The marine builders know little things about rigging and set up that if not done right can cause catastrophe with the best "parts" There are some individuals who have the knowledge to do all this themselves and save their money and that's great and satisfying for them. I know enough to be dangerous. I realized that and had Eddie build my engines the right way and rig them in the boat. It is costly but less costly than redoing mistakes.
Well said.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RebarBox
I'll buy that - My apologies, I read out of context or the bourbon was making me feisty.

Chad
No sweat. Drink up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.