Notices

sonic's history

Old 08-15-2002, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I maybe wrong on this (Boat beer talk) but I thought the 38 Sonic was from the 38 Cobra Race boat Hull The 38 Cobra was an one Hell of an Offshore rough water boat, The best of the time !and a Champion to boot.
A foot note the Cobras Mother was the 44 MSV Guess what the “S”= Saccenti
The following users liked this post:
chunky (10-27-2023)
Old 08-15-2002, 07:38 AM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

XCAV8 - That boat looks very nice for a 1980.

I need to chime in on the led sled comment. There is a well known name (Cigarette) that also needed a lot of power to get it moving before they came out with the stepped hull option and you have to pay a lot more for those boats. Sonics and Cigarettes may not be speed demons, but they run very respecatble speeds especially in the rough stuff.

I think that the Sonic is a great boat. If we ever get rid of ours, it will be for another Sonic.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I just sold my 42SS to my buddy, we loved it, especially the room, you can't beat that, unless you have a Black Thunder. The boat was good in rough water, thats where this hull excelled, the ride was also dry, and overall quality of fit and finish and rigging was good, not the best, but these boats are fairly priced and Jay at the factory was a decent guy to deal with. The other thing we liked was the arch, (I know I am one of the few), it stood out and I thought complimented the hulls lines as well as gave it that legendary Sonic look that we loved, just my .02, good luck in finding a boat, you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:16 AM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and as for the arch ... Enough Said
Attached Thumbnails sonic's history-arch11.jpg  
Old 08-15-2002, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Too Old

That's true....but then again, so does a Cigarette, Apache, Skater, Pantera, Powerplay, Sutphen.....

Is there a pattern here?
I knew someone would say that.

It's OK - just don't tell me they're using a 25 year old mold.

Kind of pointless buying a 2003 31 when I could buy yours and have the same boat for a third of the cost!!
Old 08-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve 1 -- now i have heard that the sonic came from the coyote
hull ?? not sure though....

anyone have any idea how fast that thing will go with twin 440s ?
Old 08-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sonic just like any other builder has it's strengths and weaknesses. It was and is made to run in big water and provide the owner the ability to have extended stays in the cabin. (I sell them so yea I might be biased but I also see a lot of boats so I think my perspective isn't all that scewed). Anyone can dis anything if they work at it. All depends on what kind of boating YOU do, not the next putz. As far as being a sled...well in flat water they definitely are not as fast as some but put it in a poker run or a romp to Bimini and then let's review. When you take the wife and kids out and get into the snot see if your spinchter isn't somewhat less tight with all that freeboard fiberglass keeping you in the boat. It all comes down to PREFERENCE....
Old 08-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

"Take a look at this!! "...man is that dude ever out of control. scarry!

i like sonics,,, lots of head room in the cabin

Old 08-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Registered

Lead sled it is not. My husband and I bought a 1999 45 in February and loved it. 3 500's and she runs low 80's with gen. a/c all the amenities. In May also bought a 28 for the short trips. You will be very happy with the ride and if you are married or a girlfriend she will love the amenities.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:16 AM
Team Gary

I worked on one 28 Sonic. Mercruiser warranty, trim problem. Motors are not very mechanic friendly. they obviously install the motors, then put the deck on. The owner wanted a qoute for a 100hr service. We told him a $1000.00. He went to one of our compettiters, and wound up paying $1200.00. The owner of Sonic contacted us, and wanted to know if we would become a west coast warranty station? We refused?

Quick Reply: sonic's history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.