Notices

sonic's history

Old 08-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

X,
That 1980 Sonic is a work of art. I like it a lot, and you should definately go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Audacity, we were NOT out of control. Albeit the launch was unexpected, the boat was solid throughout, including a soft, yes soft, landing. We had just launched twice and on the second re-entry, we drove up the third swell like a sheet of plywood; only clipped the swell with the aft 3rd of the boat. The boat re-entered like a warm knife falling into soft butter. CheckmateF1 was on board with Mrs. CheckmateF1, as was my g/f at the time. I hesitate to think of what would have happened if I was in a pad bottom 25/26' lake boat, and hit that sequence of swells at speed. I think the only boats I would trust in that situation would be a Sonic, Cigarette, or AT.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-14-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Team Gary,
Did that 28 have twin BB or SB? I will agree that the 28 Sonic is too small a boat have a twin setup period. Even the 31 can be with blowers. This is because of the much liked walk rail around the boat, which does take up some cockpit and engine compartment width. I plan to skip the mid 30' range boat, and go directly to a 35-38' Sonic, AT, or Cigarette. In this range boats, the AT and the Sonic, extend the width of the engine compartment out to the edges of the hull, and delete the walkrail around this area. This makes the boat much more mechanic and twin friendly. I would vote for Sonic dropping the 28 Sonic, or at least the twin option on the 28. The boat is too much like the 26 Sonic, and it does not need twins, just a big single. If you want a mid size twin, go for at least the 31ss.

OFS, does your 28 have twin BBC or SBC? How do you like the engine compartment? Your 45 is absolutely beautiful!!

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-15-2002 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry brian, that's a hard sell on that one. who in the boat exactly is controling it when it's in the air like that???

examples of control:

http://www.checkeredflagphotography....ct_daytona.htm

Last edited by audacity; 08-15-2002 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Sydwayz-
Never been in a 28' Sonic, but they are good looking boats- have been in a few 31's, and they have a great ride.
I have to disagree with you on the twin install on a 28'- don't know how it works out on a Sonic, but I have twin 350MagMPI's in my 28' AT, and I love the boat! If you want twins in a 28' AT, all you can get is SBC. The other two AT twins made have Scorp power, and are very quick boats in any water.

Nice choice in boats you would trust in that situation- I'd have to add Pantera and Powerplay as well.
BTW, my AT flies VERY level considering the weight of the twin SBC package.
Jim
Old 08-15-2002, 01:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Audacity,
I considered myself in control the whole time. I do understand where you are coming from though. I do not beleive that everytime you launch a boat you are out of control. If I was coming down crooked on some of the launches, and chine walking, or anything abnormal to staight controlled direction, I would call that out of control. Even when the best of the best trip and stuff in the races and such, they are still in control of the boat, just not in control of the seas, which caused them to trip and stuff. I had time in the sequence to adjust the throttle and not launch the boat if I wanted to. I elected to power on through, and we landed safely, and given that this is boating in general, anything could have happened, and we too, were lucky. I just don't find myself out of control in that instance. I have been there before, and that was not one of those times.

Jafo,
AT, what can I say, I have not seen ANYTHING from AT that I do not like. I was referring to the the 28 Sonic and twin applications. Given the 28 Sonic is not much bigger than mine, there is NO WAY I would want twins. My Sonic also flys level in gereral. I have never duplicated what happened in the linked photo, only because we lanched three consecutive times, and landed with the aft 3rd of the hull on the face of another swell, twice! I elected to power up each swell to avoid falling off and stuffing.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-15-2002 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Registered

"they are still in control of the boat, just not in control of the seas, which caused them to trip and stuff"...sorry bro this is tottaly incorrect...have i stuffed??..YES,,,have i put it up on its side and removed the deck...YES....delaminated??YES....i take full responsibility for my actions....all i can say is it got away from me.

"I considered myself in control the whole time"...

wish i could say that?...
Old 08-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

XCA
The MSV = Coyote = Cobra ? IMHO
The following users liked this post:
chunky (10-27-2023)
Old 08-15-2002, 01:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

It was said (posted) yesterday:
"Accidents do not happen, they are made to happen."
Every time I have been piloting, and been out of control in a boat, on a PWC, in a sports car, on a crotch-rocket, or on a snowmobile, I have been doing something stupid to get to that point. In that instance I was not doing anything of that sort. (Only exception was skydiving when the packer did not pack my chute correctly). I had three people very close to me on the boat that day, and would never consider it. Please read my last two sentences of the post you quoted from. When something gets away from me, I have done something, or not done something, to allow that to happen.

Jafo,
Nice additions, I have not been on either make, but I would have to add Pantera shearly from the standpoint of a LIFETIME HULL WARRANTY for the original owner. Isn't AT now doing this too? Is that fricking unheard of or what???

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-15-2002 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Registered

bikes ...well back in my day ...no,,, anyway,....bad inputs translate into bad outputs....what is control???...how do you know where it starts and stops???....hummm...i used to look for it more than i do now, i'm old! and i don't get paid for it anymore...at one time i used to count the crashes...hell i even saved the first 20 helmets that i broke....

there is just an increasing # of people tossing away boats, bikes, snowmobiles....even ice climbing has become so main stream, i never know what i'll witness when i go out....
Old 08-15-2002, 05:21 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

I was on the boat with Brian in that pic. The bow may be a little high but the water was very flat that day. These rouge rollers is what got us. Much different from a Factory 1 race where you run as fast as possible for the water conditions that are present, we were cruising along at 45mph or so enjoying our day and swoosh....in the air we go. It wasn't scary and didn't feel out of control. The sweet Soinc soaked up the landing, Brian and I looked at each other, smiled and continued on our 45mph cruise to Fairview beach.

Just another great day on the water, with a little altitude for kicks!

Eric

Quick Reply: sonic's history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.