taken for thousands by crioked mechanic in marco island

Notices

taken for thousands by crioked mechanic in marco island

Old 03-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taken for thousands by crioked mechanic in marco island

looking for opinions on what to do here
last Jan I bought a boat a 26 ft power guest from a nice guy in Marco island.the boat was at the marine mechanics getting new manifolds and risers. I bought it because I thought the price was good and it was being gone over by a mechanic.i got a copy of the invoice after I bought it. well this past month the coupler went so I brought it to my mechanic for replace. of course the motor has to come out for this. once out we see that the plug wires need replace new shift cable new gimbal bearing etc. also suggests a new starter. I see it's rusted to hell the wires on the solenoids are caked in rust buildup flakes
obviously original.

problem:
the invoice from Marco mechanic charges for a new starter and of course the required pull out motor labor.as an aside to further prove this wasn't done as the invoice stated my mechanic had to saw all the mounts out they were rusted solid as well. my question is I know,we know ,that first mechanic was a fraud.
now I am going to drive down from Port Charlotte to Marco and confront first mechanic with the evidence and demand reimbursement of the obvious overcharge. I fully expect to be told. if that happens what's the best way to report this unscrupulous shop and to who I am from Canada we have licensing bureau but not sure a.bout here. happy to reply with shop names to prevent others from this trap.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered

Did any of this show up on the survey?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 418 Likes on 174 Posts

Why would you ever buy an expensive boat without getting your own survey completed? Does this seem like a recurrent theme lately?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

One way to save a couple hundred bucks. NOT!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Let's not bash the guy for not getting a survey. He might be a first time buyer and not realize the importance of one.

We do have better business bureau you can report him to as well as posting your experiences on here. Legally, I do not know the answer to your question.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Starter is under a $100 at DB Electrical. Is that all you are pissed at ? The starter ?

BTW: If the exhaust is totally rotted and being replaced, aren't you worried about the block/heads/etc ?
Salt water....uuughhh.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Registered

we are getting off topic here. the boat is in great condition runs fine but this doesn't remove the fact that there was a miss representation on the part of the shop. there is a clear line item on the bill "starter" $175 with, $3000 labour albeit yes fir some other small things but the Lions share if the bill us re re labour as anyone can guess
Old 03-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 121 Posts

M y question is Have you ran it since it was fixed by the shop? If you did, what actions did you take to "clean and protect" the boat when you were finished boating each time. ie: Washing down the boat, Bilge, Etc. Did you spray it down w/ WD-40 or equivalent?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Registered

all you need to do is see the starter to know it's not 1 yr old all the charges are lies. the boat lives
on a trailer I back flush it when it gets home every time out if the water
Old 03-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrouspaul
all you need to do is see the starter to know it's not 1 yr old all the charges are lies. the boat lives
on a trailer I back flush it when it gets home every time out if the water
If I read it right you didn't pay the original bill correct? If so, you don't have a dog in this fight......I understand you are upset but you can't get money back you never paid in the first place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.