Dealer consignment questions??

Notices

Dealer consignment questions??

Old 08-14-2002, 12:35 PM
djm
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer consignment questions??

What is a typical percentage for the dealer to take? 10%? Will a dealer get more money for the boat compared to a private owner? What is the advantage to this besides gaining more advertising exposure? Thanks, Dan
Old 08-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Registered

We charge 10%, but will work with you. I always ask what you need to put in your pocket and work around that figure, as long as it is in line.
A dealer will advertise your boat which costs money of course. He also has a major edge, as he can arrange financing and handles registration work and documentation issues.
You definately get more exposure this way. Plus you don't have to answer the phone and wait for people to show up. A lot of times they don't!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Cramer

Thats a good question. Well being that I am a dealer I will jump in on this one....

To answer the fisrt question. Most dealers charge 10%, but if you look real hard you can find dealer that will do it for 7% or so.

Next question. The reason that you broker is simple. We as a company have a data base of 30,000 boaters looking for boats. Now we are one of the bigger dealers as a corperation. But we also have 5 Web sites and contless bilboards and things like that.

So I guess one other reason is that you dont have to deal with the ones that arn't serios about actualy buying the boat. Just the ones that want to own it.

Cramer

Old 08-14-2002, 04:50 PM
djm
Registered

Do you think a dealer can get a higher price than a private owner?? Assuming sales tactics are equally effective??
Old 08-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Registered

More often than not, a dealer will sell a vessel for more if he is a full service marina. We will do a leak down and pressure test for a buyer and make sure everything is in opperation as well as inspect the trailer. Larger boats require more time. Any extensive repairs required however, are the responsibility of the contractee, not the broker. I turn down boats that I would not trust, as we also have a reputation to maintain. I don't like surprises! So we check them close first.
With all the services a dealer can perform it would be logical.
Cramer is also correct regarding the data base. And we have a captive audience!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:27 AM
Registered

ttt