Notices

close calls/near misses?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Next time I will be sure to check with you before posting a comment. That way I'll be sure to better contribute on the forums like you.
Now THAT is a great idea! I knew you would come around!

In order to better contribute, less placing of blame and pointing of fingers and more suggestions of proper action might work...just sayin.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbirdusa
I almost killed a child on Lake of the Ozarks. That's the dumbest thing I ever did.
Was 20 years ago and I had a 550 jetski. Training? HA ! You just buy it and go to LOTO.... or that's what I did. Anyhow, 19MM in the cove where Kalfran Lodge was, I'm wake jumping. Here comes about a 28 foot something or other bowirder plowing a nice big wake and I'm thinking, let's jump this biotch. He's coming at me, I'm coming at him. As soon as I hit the wake and am airborne, I realize that he's towing a 10 year old learning to ski. The kid had swung wide outside the wake so he was on the other side of the boat when I started my run at the wake and when I got in the air, he had cut back behind the boat and I damn near hit him. Probably within 5 feet. I just didn't see him as he was on the other side of the boat.
I was soon circled by about 5 other boats chewing my azz out, deservedly, and I was shaking so bad I had to idle it back in. That was a HUGE reality check for me and not long after, I got rid of the ski and took a boater safety course. I remember it like it was yesterday and to this day, that is always on my mind when boating.
Things like this if survived are what make us better boaters! Same goes for being a pilot. I did incredibly stupid things both in a plane and a boat when I was young and bulletproof. Thankfully no one got hurt and I am still breathing and hopefully a bit wiser for it.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

WOW
Some CRAZY stuff
I have had a few what I considered close calls.

Once undid the bow strap on my roller trailer and instructed the girlfriend to back in w/o stopping until in deep enough at the ramp...
After nearly soiling myself, realized that the boat slid into just barely deep enough water to avoid damage, somehow.
Learned not to be in such a hurry and leave boat HOOKED to trailer until it is in the water.
A LOT of stuff with my stand up jet skis too.
Good thing about all these getting shared is it may be a learning example and help someone someday avoid an accident.
Glad these were all near misses and not worse
Old 03-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSCHAP1
WOW
Some CRAZY stuff
I have had a few what I considered close calls.

Once undid the bow strap on my roller trailer and instructed the girlfriend to back in w/o stopping until in deep enough at the ramp...
After nearly soiling myself, realized that the boat slid into just barely deep enough water to avoid damage, somehow.
Learned not to be in such a hurry and leave boat HOOKED to trailer until it is in the water.
A LOT of stuff with my stand up jet skis too.
Good thing about all these getting shared is it may be a learning example and help someone someday avoid an accident.
Glad these were all near misses and not worse
Yup. Being in a hurry sure can be time consuming.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was pulling a buddies kid10-12 yr oldish?? sking yrs ago when an older guy pulls in directly behind the kid, obviously not seeing him. We waved him off, but to no luck. The kid fell and we just knew it wasn't going to end good. At the very last second the guy saw the kid and jerked his boat to just miss hitting him, but then the guy turned real hard and went between me and my falling skier, right over the ski rope. The rope snagged his drive, jerked him a little knocking him to the floor, and jerking my boat, until the rope snapped. He gained control again and hammered on without stopping. This all happened in a matter of seconds. Our bet is he had a few beers. by time we picked up the skier, the guy was long gone no where to be found.

On another skiing time, I was being pulled by the above kids dad skiing and we were in a turn to the right going around a bend. Some guy comes straight across the lake from our port side towing a skier himself, (no spotter) and runs right into the side of my buddies boat. My spotter was sitting rearward watching me, but the boater was out of his view, and since we were in a turn to the right, my driver was watching forward and to the right. I saw the guy coming into what looked like a collision and pointed at the boat to my spotter so he could tell my driver. But by time he turned around to see the guy heading towards them, no time to warn my driver. Split the offending boat open and scratched my buddies boat with a few gouges.

I don't ski no more.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 4bus
It was a near miss,
If it is a "near miss", isn't that a hit? As in, "I tried to miss the tree, and nearly did!"

Sorry, but with all the tension, I had to ask.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in '99, we had just taken delivery on our new Laveycraft 21XCS and wanted to take it out for a quick run before we went to the St. Croix River the next weekend, so we put in to Lake George to get a feel for the new ride.

The lake was empty, as it was a Thurday afternoon, so we thought we had it to ourselves. Boy was that a bad assumption.

We're halfway into our first lap around the lake, maybe 80 feet from shore and going about 40 mph, when something pops up in the water about 50 feet in front of us.

A freakin' scuba diver.

No buoys. No flags. No on-water warning of any kind.

I missed him by about two feet, and spent the next half hour trying to get my heart rate under 200 and thanking God I hadn't killed someone.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered

Second month with my new eliminator going about 30-40 just enjoying the ride when all of a sudden the nose starts to lift.. Im thinking im going over and going to die. So I tell my wife to hold on and i pull the throttles back and hope for the best , it went up about 45-50 degrees and slowly came back down.. I looked at my wife and said " what the Fck was that ?" We then turned around and just about idled home.. Didnt touch the boat for a month after that...
Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SEADOO,JETSKIS,WHATEVER, I dont know how many times weve almost collided with or had them almost crash into us. How many folks have seen the new riders that dont know to turn you have to hit the gas, gees that will wake you up.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

A blowover at 40???
Originally Posted by antisocial
Second month with my new eliminator going about 30-40 just enjoying the ride when all of a sudden the nose starts to lift.. Im thinking im going over and going to die. So I tell my wife to hold on and i pull the throttles back and hope for the best , it went up about 45-50 degrees and slowly came back down.. I looked at my wife and said " what the Fck was that ?" We then turned around and just about idled home.. Didnt touch the boat for a month after that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.