Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   State Farm Policyholders, check this out!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31014-state-farm-policyholders-check-out.html)

BURNSMAZZ 08-15-2002 12:03 PM

Broke my wind deflector on my Outlaw $925 State Farm cut me a check the next day.

Cord 08-15-2002 12:12 PM

ssherman-I've had AMFam all my life. I've put 4 major claims through them (three totals) and have had both good and bad experiences.

My first total was not my fault, the other driver was also a AMFam they offered me a low ball number and said, "take it or leave it". I took it and learned a lesson.

The second total they tried to low ball me again. I had to go to arbitration to get book value for the car. Even though the car was fully loaded, they were trying to give me the price for a base model. This was the same adjustor that I had for the first accident.

The third total turned out very well. We were definetly at fault and AMFam offered us MORE than book value on the car!

In retrospect, it's the adjuster that you're dealing with that affects how things turn out. If you can't get anywhere see if you can get a different adjuster. I'm not sure if you can swap. If nothing else, then just go to arbitration-you'll have to have a appraiser look at it, but things should come out in your favor.

tmager 08-15-2002 12:44 PM

Wow, I am suprised hear complaints about Statefarm. I insure my house, truck, car, boat, business, jewelry, rental home with them and have made claims on every policy, and they even paid off on work I had done before quote or them looking at. Every so often I take my policies to another insurance company and the price is never close. Claim pay offs have always been quick and the 94 Sunsation is only 380 bucks per year. Zero complaints

Quiet Storm 08-15-2002 01:36 PM

I have had no problems with State Farm but I thought it was funny that when I was buying my Checkmate, I got a quote from them. It was a good price so I went for it. A week later they sent me a letter saying the boat was high performance and they would not insure it. Now the hunt was on for insurance and I could only find it for twice the quoted amount. I live in Illinois and do most of my boating in Michigan. I spoke to the State Farm agent that insures my condominium in Michigan about this and they said that they would insure it and for the same quoted amount that I got in Illinois. I don't get it but I'm happy.

Havasu Cig 08-15-2002 01:53 PM

I got screwed by State Farm on our cat. They insured the boat after full disclosure of hp, speed, and we even sent them pictures. After having the policy for 3 months they cancelled us saying they don't insure "those type of boats". This really screwed us over because at the time we had decided to sell the boat and now we were stuck without insurance. Our choices were to shell out about 3k for a fully earned policy (which means you don't get any money back when you cancel the policy) or not have insurance. I have heard of others they have one this to as well.:mad:

Fast Frank 08-15-2002 04:59 PM

any other inexpensive, but good insurance?

I know from agent to agent they have no idea what State Farm even insures when it comes to boats. I had 1 claim out of 3 boats i had insured and they handled it very well-the outside adjuster they hired was a real jerkoff though.

Havasu Cig-
What kind of cat with what power? I had 3 Fountains insured with State Farm, I had a deposit on a 32 Skater (disclosed 800's and #5's) and they told me i would be all set, i wouldn't have been too happy if they then pulled that on me.

105mph_38_2003-
Who did you use to get a rate of $1,328?

Johno 08-15-2002 05:08 PM

Baja Daze

Hey,
I believe you & have similar boats, 24 Outlaw. I got a great rate with Geico. They have just started in the marine end of it around here & are trying hard for business. Previously used Progressive & they were awesome after my drive was stolen...hopefully Geico will perform if I eve need em.....hope not
John

Playn 08-15-2002 05:27 PM

No problem to date with State Farm. They currently insure everything we have. We had a claim on the boat last year which they promptly paid. So far we've had no unpleasant issues with them.

Havasu Cig 08-15-2002 06:28 PM

Fast Frank,

I am 99.9% sure that if they write you a policy on your Skater they will drop you a few months later. My cat was a 2001 DCB Mach 26, single 800 hp blown 510, speed 105 mph. I would look at other companies and save yourself a headache down the road. Sy Goldberg at Total Dollar hooked me up on the Cig and he said he was starting a cat program. He is on the board and is helpful.

wwwTOPDJcom 08-16-2002 06:09 PM

Re: whatabout rates???

Originally posted by 105mph_38_2003
Wanted to chsrge me $3,826 a year for full coverage,$ 1,742 for inland waters only. The agent told me that if I was in anything but an inland lake I was uninsured and would be dropped:mad: . Ended up paying $1,328 with another company, fully insured anywhere, any water. Hopefull I will never have to make a claim and see why it is so cheap. For my jetski I have progressive. Flipped off the trailer one day from hitting a pothole. Got a disgruntled claims adjuster that was leaving the company. Ended up with a new trailer,Brand new fixed ski, and he put on some Hi-po parts to make up for my dilemma. Now I have an 80mph jet ski that sits in my garage....Anyone know of anybody that wants a super fast ski???
80mph no way, thats some serious MODS heads, pistons, crank, fuel system, exhaust system, ignition, lightweight flywhee,l cylider porting thats 6000-8000 motor

if thats a GPS verified HOW much do u want?