Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   State Farm Policyholders, check this out!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31014-state-farm-policyholders-check-out.html)

CigDaze 08-15-2002 11:06 AM

State Farm Policyholders, check this out!!

State Farm Sucks! . com

I came across this while shopping for quotes...Just thought I'd share, maybe save someone some hassle in the future.

And here'a a Protest Site formed by a group of ex-agents.

Indy 08-15-2002 11:11 AM

I ran over a submerged concrete pier (not on the charts :mad: ) and trashed the sterndrive in my old boat. My marina gave me a quote the next day, and State Farm had a check in my hands 3 days later, no problems or issues what-so-ever.

You can find pissed-off employees or customers with any large corporation, I don't care which one it is. They must be doing something right becasue they have millions of policy holders.

Of course if they jerked me around on the accident, I'd be on the other side of the fence, but they didn't.

CigDaze 08-15-2002 11:18 AM

That's cool, Indy! Just sharing...
I was actually looking for a quote from them, when I found that site. Still good info to know. :)

ssherman 08-15-2002 11:40 AM

Anything out there like this on American Family? Local authorities concluded investigation about 3 weeks after the loss the American Family Insurance company is still investigating (stalling) since may 21, 02

Boat Girl 08-15-2002 11:43 AM

I too have a good relationship with State Farm, I have been with them for almost 6 years and was hit by a drunk driver in Jan, they were great, car was done in a week...Then I moved to FL and totaled my car, I had a check in a week for full blue book on a 93 Baretta with 160,000 miles on it, not to mention they paid for the tow and my rental car for 14 days...I just renewed my policy and no increase in premiums...Gotta love it...

CigDaze 08-15-2002 11:50 AM

Glad to hear you have had good experiences. I'm waiting for a quote right now, so we'll see. :)

Luv-N-It 08-15-2002 11:52 AM

I agree with Indy. I have been with State Farm for 16 yrs (since I've been 16 yrs old, so, I'm 32 now). I have everything with State Farm, vehicles, house, boat, life insurance...everything. I have never, never had a problem.
Now, I will say this. I have a heck of an agent. He is very, very good to me. I know he is to all of his policy holders. I have a feeling that State Farm's reputation has a lot to do with the individual agent too.
Just for your info, even though State Farm is a large corporation, each agent will run his/her agency as its own business. Therefore there are corners the agents can cut and corners that they choose not cut-costing you morej money. Therefore, their profits come from a direct result of the number of policies they right and the $ amount of those polices. Also, the number of claims he/she files each year are dings against them too. It is not only a ding against you. Henceforth, another reason why your rates would go up-the agents liability of insuring you. I speak from experience becuase I've had two accidents and some speeding tickets and my rates always stayed the same!!
Just my .02
PS. I know State Farm has great marine insurance, its just a matter of the the agent wanting to give it to you!!!!!!

Dave M 08-15-2002 11:53 AM

State Farm has always been good to me too. I've had fires, thefts, tornados, accidents, tickets, you name it and they always came through for me.

Luv-N-It 08-15-2002 11:55 AM

See what I'm saying here Daze!!! State Farm has been good to us!

RUSSSR1 08-15-2002 11:58 AM

My house, cars, boat, bikes are all with State Farm and will never be with anyone else. This company has taken care of me without delay or question so many times. I truly have no worries about coverage. My wife has a bad habit of totaling cars, had one bike stollen, I myself was in a wreck. every time they took care of me like solid gold. I know this is just my experience but it reflects on how they do busines and thats why they are #1.
just my .02

Russ

BURNSMAZZ 08-15-2002 12:03 PM

Broke my wind deflector on my Outlaw $925 State Farm cut me a check the next day.

Cord 08-15-2002 12:12 PM

ssherman-I've had AMFam all my life. I've put 4 major claims through them (three totals) and have had both good and bad experiences.

My first total was not my fault, the other driver was also a AMFam they offered me a low ball number and said, "take it or leave it". I took it and learned a lesson.

The second total they tried to low ball me again. I had to go to arbitration to get book value for the car. Even though the car was fully loaded, they were trying to give me the price for a base model. This was the same adjustor that I had for the first accident.

The third total turned out very well. We were definetly at fault and AMFam offered us MORE than book value on the car!

In retrospect, it's the adjuster that you're dealing with that affects how things turn out. If you can't get anywhere see if you can get a different adjuster. I'm not sure if you can swap. If nothing else, then just go to arbitration-you'll have to have a appraiser look at it, but things should come out in your favor.

tmager 08-15-2002 12:44 PM

Wow, I am suprised hear complaints about Statefarm. I insure my house, truck, car, boat, business, jewelry, rental home with them and have made claims on every policy, and they even paid off on work I had done before quote or them looking at. Every so often I take my policies to another insurance company and the price is never close. Claim pay offs have always been quick and the 94 Sunsation is only 380 bucks per year. Zero complaints

Quiet Storm 08-15-2002 01:36 PM

I have had no problems with State Farm but I thought it was funny that when I was buying my Checkmate, I got a quote from them. It was a good price so I went for it. A week later they sent me a letter saying the boat was high performance and they would not insure it. Now the hunt was on for insurance and I could only find it for twice the quoted amount. I live in Illinois and do most of my boating in Michigan. I spoke to the State Farm agent that insures my condominium in Michigan about this and they said that they would insure it and for the same quoted amount that I got in Illinois. I don't get it but I'm happy.

Havasu Cig 08-15-2002 01:53 PM

I got screwed by State Farm on our cat. They insured the boat after full disclosure of hp, speed, and we even sent them pictures. After having the policy for 3 months they cancelled us saying they don't insure "those type of boats". This really screwed us over because at the time we had decided to sell the boat and now we were stuck without insurance. Our choices were to shell out about 3k for a fully earned policy (which means you don't get any money back when you cancel the policy) or not have insurance. I have heard of others they have one this to as well.:mad:

Fast Frank 08-15-2002 04:59 PM

any other inexpensive, but good insurance?

I know from agent to agent they have no idea what State Farm even insures when it comes to boats. I had 1 claim out of 3 boats i had insured and they handled it very well-the outside adjuster they hired was a real jerkoff though.

Havasu Cig-
What kind of cat with what power? I had 3 Fountains insured with State Farm, I had a deposit on a 32 Skater (disclosed 800's and #5's) and they told me i would be all set, i wouldn't have been too happy if they then pulled that on me.

105mph_38_2003-
Who did you use to get a rate of $1,328?

Johno 08-15-2002 05:08 PM

Baja Daze

Hey,
I believe you & have similar boats, 24 Outlaw. I got a great rate with Geico. They have just started in the marine end of it around here & are trying hard for business. Previously used Progressive & they were awesome after my drive was stolen...hopefully Geico will perform if I eve need em.....hope not
John

Playn 08-15-2002 05:27 PM

No problem to date with State Farm. They currently insure everything we have. We had a claim on the boat last year which they promptly paid. So far we've had no unpleasant issues with them.

Havasu Cig 08-15-2002 06:28 PM

Fast Frank,

I am 99.9% sure that if they write you a policy on your Skater they will drop you a few months later. My cat was a 2001 DCB Mach 26, single 800 hp blown 510, speed 105 mph. I would look at other companies and save yourself a headache down the road. Sy Goldberg at Total Dollar hooked me up on the Cig and he said he was starting a cat program. He is on the board and is helpful.

wwwTOPDJcom 08-16-2002 06:09 PM

Re: whatabout rates???

Originally posted by 105mph_38_2003
Wanted to chsrge me $3,826 a year for full coverage,$ 1,742 for inland waters only. The agent told me that if I was in anything but an inland lake I was uninsured and would be dropped:mad: . Ended up paying $1,328 with another company, fully insured anywhere, any water. Hopefull I will never have to make a claim and see why it is so cheap. For my jetski I have progressive. Flipped off the trailer one day from hitting a pothole. Got a disgruntled claims adjuster that was leaving the company. Ended up with a new trailer,Brand new fixed ski, and he put on some Hi-po parts to make up for my dilemma. Now I have an 80mph jet ski that sits in my garage....Anyone know of anybody that wants a super fast ski???
80mph no way, thats some serious MODS heads, pistons, crank, fuel system, exhaust system, ignition, lightweight flywhee,l cylider porting thats 6000-8000 motor

if thats a GPS verified HOW much do u want?

statefarmsuxs 08-10-2006 07:24 PM

Re: State Farm Policyholders, check this out!!

If your having a problem with STATE FARM Rest assured that you are not alone. Hundreds of
people a day report that State Farm is a VERY "Crooked" type of business and
ripping off people like you and I.

A Website to protest State farm has been established. We invite you
to check out

http://www.statefarmstillsucks.com

Sea-Dated 08-11-2006 08:38 AM

I have State Farm on everything but my boat. When we bought the boat our agent told us they don't cover high performance boats. Mine is more like medium performance, 1990 29' Fountain 70mph top speed. Should I call other State Farm agents or what. We ended up getting a great deal with Farm Bureau of Oklahoma, we pay $1100 a year for full replacement coverage but it would be nice to get everything back with State Farm.

CigDaze 08-11-2006 08:45 AM

Wow. Old post.

4 years later, they still suck. Now they want a 78% increase in policies. :mad:

Check this out, a recent thread on here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=134082

premiums 08-11-2006 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ssherman
Anything out there like this on American Family? Local authorities concluded investigation about 3 weeks after the loss the American Family Insurance company is still investigating (stalling) since may 21, 02

WHAT ARE THE DETAILS OF THE LOSS?

Strip Poker 388 08-11-2006 12:30 PM

What's with all you people totaling out all these autos :eek: :eek:

I have only made 2 small auto claims over 28 years of driving and the Hurricane damage on our roof last year. I guess I am lucky???

State Farm use to insure my Chevelle untill they came out to reappraised it and saw the NOS bottle :eek: asked what the trans brake button was for :eek: why I had drag radials on it.The guy was a old drag racer , I was screwed :rolleyes:

Knock on wood :drink:

open87 08-11-2006 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ed...

risenshine 08-11-2006 08:11 PM

they've been great with me . i wouldn't even shop anyone else.

f311fr1 08-11-2006 09:40 PM

I had SF on everything for 25 years. I filed a clam on my home roof after a hail storm and claim denied as every one else in the neighborhood got a new roof. I re rigged my boat with new motors and drives and disclosed this to SF. They canceled my policy. When I read the original policy the agent had listed my original HP500's as 250 HP. If I had a claim while insured I would have been screwed. All my ins is now with American Property and Casualty. They have been great to work with. However anytime I move one of my boats over 150 miles from it's home port they have to be notified. E mail does the trick.

X-Rated30 08-12-2006 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by risenshine
they've been great with me . i wouldn't even shop anyone else.

Make a claim. :rolleyes: :cool:

FeverMike 08-12-2006 07:47 AM

Different state have different laws and for Florida I know State Farm, Allstate and insurance companies like that CAN NOT insure performance style boats. Anything over 50mph is off limits. Plus a very important factor is State Farm does not do Agreed Value Policy's on boats.

It is beyond me why someone with a big expensive performance style boat would not have an agreed value policy protecting them. Especially if you have a loan on the boat. Most financial institutions require this type of insurance policy.

birdog 08-12-2006 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
Make a claim. :rolleyes: :cool:

I have....Over 26 years I have had a couple & have been More than pleased....Your agent is EVERYTHING ! & I have the best.

Mike...I have "agreed value"...I'm in Ohio though

Donzi38ZX 08-12-2006 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Different state have different laws and for Florida I know State Farm, Allstate and insurance companies like that CAN NOT insure performance style boats. Anything over 50mph is off limits. Plus a very important factor is State Farm does not do Agreed Value Policy's on boats.

It is beyond me why someone with a big expensive performance style boat would not have an agreed value policy protecting them. Especially if you have a loan on the boat. Most financial institutions require this type of insurance policy.

State Farm does agreed value in Michigan and Indiana.

Gizmo 08-12-2006 12:44 PM

This is an interesting topic. I have State Farm for auto and home. When I bought my Sunsation, I went to the agent to get a quote. She wouldn't touch it because of performance, horsepower and speed.
A friend gave me the name of another state Farm agent. Thought I would see if he would give me the same story. Boy, was I wrong......... He covered the boat, full coverage, with stated amount. I have been with him since that day. Even refered him to others
So far , I have no issues or complaints with SF. I haven't had a claim with the boat. The truck and car is another story....... :D

CigDaze 08-25-2006 12:22 PM

Like a Good Neighbor...:mad: :mad: :mad:

----------------------------------------

Exclusive: Whistleblowers Say State Farm Shredded Documents to Avoid Paying Katrina Victims, Allegations of Massive Fraud

August 25, 2006 11:53 AM

Brian Ross and Joseph Rhee Report:

State Farm Insurance supervisors systematically demanded that Hurricane Katrina damage reports be buried or replaced or changed so that the company would not have to pay policyholders' claims in Mississippi, two State Farm insiders tell ABC News.

Kerri and Cori Rigsby, independent adjusters who had worked for State Farm exclusively for eight years, say they have turned over thousands of internal company documents and their own detailed statement to the FBI and Mississippi state investigators.

In an exclusive interview with ABC news, to be broadcast on 20/20 -- Watch 20/20 tonight at 10 --and World News, the Rigsby sisters say they saw "widespread" fraud at the State Farm offices in Biloxi and Gulfport, Miss.

"Katrina was devastating, but so was State Farm," says Cori Rigsby.

At one point, they say State Farm brought in a special shredding truck they believe was used to destroy key documents. State Farm says shredding is standard to protect policyholders' privacy.

The sisters say they saw supervisors go to great lengths to pressure outside engineers to prepare reports concluding that damage was caused by water, not covered under State Farm policies, rather than by wind.

They say reports that concluded that damage was caused by wind, for which State Farm would have to pay, were hidden in a special file and new reports were ordered.

Cori Rigsby says she recalls a senior coordinator ordering that an engineering company be told to alter the findings in its report so that State Farm would not have to pay. "Tell them if they don't change their report, we're not paying their invoice," she remembers the supervisor saying.

A lawyer for State Farm, Wayne Drinkwater, told ABC News he was unfamiliar with the Rigsby sisters but denied State Farm cheated policyholders or pressured outside engineers to reach particular conclusions in their damage reports.

"We, of course, have not been cheating," Drinkwater said.

The allegations, if proven, would support the suspicions of thousands of homeowners along the Mississippi Gulf Coast who have been unable to collect enough insurance money to rebuild their homes.

Many have filed lawsuits against State Farm and other insurance companies alleging the companies of wrongly denying or low-balling their claims. The Rigsby sisters' allegations are now a key part of suits filed against State Farm by well-known Mississippi lawyer Dickie Scruggs, famous for taking on the tobacco companies.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/...farm_insi.html

Strip Poker 388 08-25-2006 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Like a Good Neighbor...:mad: :mad: :mad:

----------------------------------------

Exclusive: Whistleblowers Say State Farm Shredded Documents to Avoid Paying Katrina Victims, Allegations of Massive Fraud

August 25, 2006 11:53 AM

Brian Ross and Joseph Rhee Report:

State Farm Insurance supervisors systematically demanded that Hurricane Katrina damage reports be buried or replaced or changed so that the company would not have to pay policyholders' claims in Mississippi, two State Farm insiders tell ABC News.

Kerri and Cori Rigsby, independent adjusters who had worked for State Farm exclusively for eight years, say they have turned over thousands of internal company documents and their own detailed statement to the FBI and Mississippi state investigators.

In an exclusive interview with ABC news, to be broadcast on 20/20 -- Watch 20/20 tonight at 10 --and World News, the Rigsby sisters say they saw "widespread" fraud at the State Farm offices in Biloxi and Gulfport, Miss.

"Katrina was devastating, but so was State Farm," says Cori Rigsby.

At one point, they say State Farm brought in a special shredding truck they believe was used to destroy key documents. State Farm says shredding is standard to protect policyholders' privacy.

The sisters say they saw supervisors go to great lengths to pressure outside engineers to prepare reports concluding that damage was caused by water, not covered under State Farm policies, rather than by wind.

They say reports that concluded that damage was caused by wind, for which State Farm would have to pay, were hidden in a special file and new reports were ordered.

Cori Rigsby says she recalls a senior coordinator ordering that an engineering company be told to alter the findings in its report so that State Farm would not have to pay. "Tell them if they don't change their report, we're not paying their invoice," she remembers the supervisor saying.

A lawyer for State Farm, Wayne Drinkwater, told ABC News he was unfamiliar with the Rigsby sisters but denied State Farm cheated policyholders or pressured outside engineers to reach particular conclusions in their damage reports.

"We, of course, have not been cheating," Drinkwater said.

The allegations, if proven, would support the suspicions of thousands of homeowners along the Mississippi Gulf Coast who have been unable to collect enough insurance money to rebuild their homes.

Many have filed lawsuits against State Farm and other insurance companies alleging the companies of wrongly denying or low-balling their claims. The Rigsby sisters' allegations are now a key part of suits filed against State Farm by well-known Mississippi lawyer Dickie Scruggs, famous for taking on the tobacco companies.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/...farm_insi.html

My State Farm agent which is also a boater friend of mine told me that Mississippi is 1% of there busness, that they were prob going to pull out of MS

CigDaze 08-25-2006 12:34 PM

Of course they're pulling out. It's not profitable there anymore.
Or they can do what they're doing in FL, raising rates by approximately 78%.

Strip Poker 388 08-25-2006 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Of course they're pulling out. It's not profitable there anymore.
Or they can do what they're doing in FL, raising rates by approximately 78%.

They went up here also.Pulling out doesn't relieve them of liability past