Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
who build their own dock? and sunk their own pilings? >

who build their own dock? and sunk their own pilings?

Notices

who build their own dock? and sunk their own pilings?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my main concern is the fact i cant get pressure treated lumber, so want to pour a cement footer to keep water off the pilings so they will have a long service life...
Old 03-29-2014, 07:59 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about jetting some long 10" pvc into the bottom , make a rebar triangle to go inside then pour concrete in it, should make a long lasting durable piling, drill for crosspieces before you pour

Did some quick searching, great ideas here http://forums.capmel.com/post/DockPiling-Advice-4936316

Last edited by Wobble; 03-29-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
Not knowing where you are doing this project - I'm offering this.

A number of years ago at our summer home - in Michigan-- a person had the same idea that you posted. He sunk telephone poles into the lake bottom and built a pier from heck -- You could have drove a semi on it. The only problem was he didn't understand or consider the power of ice. After only one winter this beautiful pier was a twisted mess. The ice literally snapped the telephone poles like toothpicks. He had to hire a company to come out and (in most cases) hand saw off the poles below water level. Long and short mother nature is a heck of a lot stronger than anything we can build.

All the best and good luck

3pointstar
i always thought the same thing,,bigger is better,,i have a friend on the fox river that is constantly flowint and iceing up..he had his pier builtout of 4'' pipe and 3/8'' thick..when it was being installed i asked the guy installing it why not biggr pipe? he said ice,,seens the smaller 4'' pipr will break up the ice and it goes around it..been 4 yrs and his pier is still standing so i guess it works..BTW he also has a 15k lift and 2 4'wide x 60' long piers on each side of his boat..the center of the piers is concrete..
Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old man built every pier in our creek ( 50 +), were in the process of doing a new bulkhead now..

John jr
Old 03-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
im on the equator in colombia south america, if i have problem with ice, its because the new ice age has arrived, and we're all doomed. lol

my father had a dock in annapolis for his 40 ft sailboat behind his house, he had a bubbler deal that kept the water churning all winter long so no ice would form around the boat or dock... worked like a charm year in and year out...rm
I LOVE IT!!!!

Somebody may not get that memo about global warming

If it freezes where you are then something else is really screwed up

Take care and safe boating

3pointstar