shipping a boat, best way to protect? >

shipping a boat, best way to protect?

Notices

shipping a boat, best way to protect?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
If the full shrink wrap is done correctly, it will not move and will actually be more aerodynamic than being open etc...
I'll second this, mine was tighter than I could have ever imagined and she looked like a very long sharknosed bullet sitting on the trailer. The plastic was super thick and taut from the heat gun.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
First thing I would do, is have the person who accepted the bid (owner?) sign a hold harmless to you and have them put in writing how they want it shipped. The hold harmless should include verbatim their instructions on how boat was to be shipped. Then take pictures.

Now for the transporter, he too should have a hold harmless signed by you,.. addressing how it is shipped, open cover, full cover etc...and take pictures. A good transporter will take care of the load, but only with in the parameters of how the owner wants it covered... Bottom line, the owner is responsible for making the decision....

My opinion: FULL shrink wrap, w/bubble wrap in wear areas and flannel cloth in between the boat and any type of covering. If the full shrink wrap is done correctly, it will not move and will actually be more aerodynamic than being open etc...
If it does get shrinked i was thinking of putting something down. The flannel and bubble wrap is a good idea.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Registered

How big is the boat? Can you back the trailer into a shipping container and stick it on a train
Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

38 Top Gun

Just got an email from Trans shield they do not have anything that would fit.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

tube steel frame, cover with flannel, spray with chopper gun, mount to trailer. Instant hard shell. Or cover exo-skelton with shrink wrap.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was transporting boats I would buy that plastic you see on the new high dollar cars on the car carriers, they put it on the hoods to stop stone chips. That stuff sticks to the hull like saran wrap. Then I would shrink wrap it, tight and below the sides. Never had a problem and I transported a lot of nice boats with expensive graphics. The problem with the hauler is most Uship haulers don't even care about running legal let alone care about your boat.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few weeks back I shrunk a fresh paint boat for a 1500mile run. We used soft blankets covering it under the wrap. Also quite a while ago A guy supplied me with some new painters drop cloths for under the wrap. The ones that are real soft on one side. The boat was a 4 week old red awlgrip job. I gues there was no issue when it got to Fla. But then again when my own boat was painted years ago, I shrunk just the seats with no tape just string and the boat went naked in good weather.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 775 Likes on 294 Posts

Or just have me take it
Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bwd
A few weeks back I shrunk a fresh paint boat for a 1500mile run. We used soft blankets covering it under the wrap. Also quite a while ago A guy supplied me with some new painters drop cloths for under the wrap. The ones that are real soft on one side. The boat was a 4 week old red awlgrip job. I gues there was no issue when it got to Fla. But then again when my own boat was painted years ago, I shrunk just the seats with no tape just string and the boat went naked in good weather.
I just looked at bulk flannel and I can get odd lot colors off ebay for about eight dollars for a twenty or thirty yard roll. The wrap guy wants six fifty for a full wrap and this would put it over seven hundred to cover.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered

I shrink wrap boats for transport all the time, no issues. If it is done correctly there should be little to no movement across the surface of the boat even while going 75 down the highway. My recommendation is to wrap under chines and cover the hull with thin foam sheeting. You can get rolls of it at Home Depot for short money. Tape any gaps with preservation tape and let it rip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.