Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
St. Pete. race where to stay where to watch >

St. Pete. race where to stay where to watch

Notices

St. Pete. race where to stay where to watch

Old 08-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep it kinda bites for the fans. Last year the two of us were able to fly r/t to st pete, rental car, 2 nights motel, food & drink, and races for <$500. Don't think I can pop over to the Bahamas for a 3 day weekend for that.

They say they want spectators, then move it out of reach. At least I have vac scheduled the Key West week.

... but the stop by the cigarette merchandise booth cost more than the whole trip, kinda blew my budget.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:13 AM
Registered

Todd & I were planning on making it to the races that wknd. too...maybe, we can get an OSO gathering that wknd. down there anyway?!?!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Consintracy
Todd & I were planning on making it to the races that wknd. too...maybe, we can get an OSO gathering that wknd. down there anyway?!?!
Hey, that always sounds good! I'm up for it.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey Mike,
How ya been? It's been a while now....Should plan something soon. I saw your post on the East Lake get-together. Hmmmm, I might just have to get over there.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:40 PM
Registered

Nick it will be fun , we did one in the spring that had a great turn out, about 40 boats, lots of racing, this one should be bigger. Lets get something together over your way soon.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Banned

Nick, count me in for an OSO outing too. You've been a little quiet here lately haven't you? Another OSO member, Hardonzi and I may hook up for some running tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cool Deal, Cuda! Always ready for boating with others....

Quiet?....Ya, too quiet! Believe me, It's killing me and my post-per-day average!

I'm in charge of two simultaneous proposals right now...what a pain!!! Too much work at work this week.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:19 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick
Great idea....we can go round and round till we run out of gas
Why dont ya set something up for late Sept??? Before the snobirds get there and its cooled down some. I'll drag my lazy ass up for a get together. Besides I got a craving for one of those sandwiches we got at that mall.

Dan
Old 08-16-2002, 09:03 PM
Len Ashburn

Default St. Pete Cancellation

No one is more disappointed than I about the loss of St. Pete. I try to go every year and had to cancel the space I had reserved there for 2002.

I did a little quick math and if 15,000 people came to St. Pete on that weekend, and if they spent $200 while there, the total is $1,200,000. Alweiss only wanted $60,000. They offered $15,000, he didn't take it, and that million bucks walked out of St. Pete.

This doesn't make sense. I can see the politicos position. The matter should be taken out of politics and negotiations made with a merchants association. They were the ones to gain by the races and they will be the ones who will lose.

Just MHO

Old 08-17-2002, 01:48 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default And there you have it...

Of all the grumbling, *****ing, moaning, finger pointing and blaming I've heard about this event, Len comes along and makes possibly the most sensable and down to earth observation of the whole thing in a nutshell.
Truth be known, the APBA went the extra mile to keep the St. Pete race, but there are those that feel the need to prove a point... at the expense of not just APBA, but also the race site, the racers, the local businesses, the fans, the sponsors, the list goes on & on...

Quick Reply: St. Pete. race where to stay where to watch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.