Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another mi boat trip,Higgins?Houghten? >

Another mi boat trip,Higgins?Houghten?

Notices

Another mi boat trip,Higgins?Houghten?

Old 08-13-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another mi boat trip,Higgins?Houghten?

I know I'll get some flak for this, but took the 22nd through
the 26th off to go to loto, and deciced I wanted to do more
boating than driving. Plus I havn't even begun to explore
all this state has to offer. Was thinking maybe a day on
houghten or higgins then up to charlavoix, maybe west
coast. Just did a weekend trip to lexington and the board
was a big help. Traveled 160 miles on the water, (and 2 in
the air). Great time. Heard higgins has some depth concerns?
Any hotels close by at either. Dont want to sleep in the coffin.
thanks............J.C.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:17 PM
blackhawk

Higgens Lake has no depth concerns at all. However, I've heard that Houghton has serious concerns. I usually head up to Higgens at least once a year. It is an absolute beautiful lake with a nice sandbar and a great launch. Higgens also has a huge campground at both ends but your nearest hotel will be Houghton Lake. Charlevoix is also very pretty lake. Have you ever been to Torch Lake?

Old 08-13-2002, 12:21 PM
prichardson

Be advised if you go to higgins on the weekend, get there really early. The launch's fill up fast and when they are full you wait for some one to pull out Got there at 10 to 12 one sat and they where full already. Beautiful water and lots of boats if you get on.

Old 08-13-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered

I've taken the cat up to higgins on several occasions, not since 97 though. It is a great spot I think, and I think the depth issues are with houghton lake. Higgins is shallow for 500 feet out, and then drops off to I dont know how deep, but deep, and crystal clear. I remember idleing out of the state park at higgins, and 5 or 6 offshores scrambling to follow me out of the channel for a run. I got up on plane, shot to the other side of the lake went around and island, and back past the line of boats trying to catch me, then trying to get back before I did. That was fun!!! They had no chance, and then b.s.'ed with em for a while. The rafting area's by the park are really nice, and get a decent crowd, not a crazy one either. The downside was as soon as I parked after that run, the dnr came up and said "Dont even think of taking that out on the water again" I guess we had some locals scared for us going too fast. Like they never saw a really loud, outboard powered cat before... geeze!!! Torch Lake is really nice too, I havent been there, but I hear alot of people talk about it being one of the nicest lakes in the country.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:31 PM
blackhawk

Advantage_Rob,

I can't believe the DNR hassled you up there. Man, those people can really rain on a parade. I have been in runs with 4-8 other boats at a time up there and never been hassled. Fast stuff too(well, faster than me)

Higgens is real shallow around the sandbar and the island(obviously) and then drops off quickly. There are spots on Higgens that are over 300' deep.

Last I knew Higgens was the 8th most beautiful lake in the WORLD and Torch was the 3rd. I can't remember who rates them, National Geographic I think.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Bayley

"Last I knew Higgens was the 8th most beautiful lake in the WORLD and Torch was the 3rd. "

I wonder if Walled Lake was no. 1 or 2?

Took my 32' Sunsation up to Higgins Lake last year and didn't have any problems with depth. There is the "sunken island" in the middle of the south arm of the lake. Depth over the island is only about 1 or 2 feet deep. It's pretty easy to spot though. On busy weekends, there are typically a few dozen smaller boats anchored out there. If not, the water color (very light blue compared to the deep dark blue) is a dead giveaway. Water is crystal clear throughout the entire lake, much like Torch.

Rob,
Too funny about the DNR guy. Last year I had the Sheriff pull me over as soon as I passed the last channel marker out of South State Park. All he did was check for PFD's and remind me that all Michigan Inland Lakes have a supposed 55 mph speed limit. He then went on to tell me that this law is very rarely enforced, and that’s only when somebody complains about a reckless boater. I was also told, with a little wink and nod, that the North end of the lake would be a much better place to break this law... if anyone would choose to do such.

Lake Charlevoix is my favorite inland destination up in that area. Not as clear and scenic as Torch, but the access to Lake Michigan is very convenient.

-Bayley

Old 08-13-2002, 02:17 PM
Registered

I think the problem was a combination of me being a young punk, the noise, look, and speeds we did, and how we did it at the time. I think we just really pissed the DNR guy off. The boat was still in full race trim, race hatch on, no back seat, wide open exhaust, and if you've ever heard open exhaust on a built 2.4 or 2.5 it's REALLY LOUD, leaves my ears hurting for hours after, then we ran 110+ the whole time, and did flyby's everybody that tried to come out to run us, then pulled in the shallows, popped the hatch open, pulled out 2 budwieser coolers, and a beer bong, slammed a few, when the dnr caught up to us mid beer bong, he was not very happy, said he was chasing us down in his 16' aluminum since we went on plane, and he was pissed!! We kind of said sorry, didn't know, he was still nice about it and let us go on our word that the boat wouldn't be moved unless to put it on the trailer, but we stayed the weekend at the state park with about 10 friends, and had a great time. we basicly used the boat as a swim platform the rest of the weekend which was fine by me. I think I just really had a knack for pissing off the authorities when I was that age. I'm glad I got a little wiser the last few years.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:38 PM
290PQ

Thumbs up

We spend most every weekend at Higgins. It is a great lake! Crystal clear water, sandy bottom, very deep.
Watch out for the sunken island on the south end. There is also some shallow areas around Treasure island, but the water is so clear you really don't need a depth finder!!!
I agree if your going to mess around go to the north end there is not nearly as much traffic.
The DNR, Sheriff and the coast guard aux. have been patroling as long as you are being safe they will leave you alone!
And yes on saturdays you need to get in early the parks fill up fast.
If you are going to come up send me a pm and I will give you my number and I can fill ya in some more.

Old 08-13-2002, 03:47 PM
Registered

Just Returned From Higgins, Was There A Week... Had A Great Time, South State Park Is Where The Action Is.... The Women Are Looking Fine This Year, Lots Of Thongs And Small Tops...... There Is A Parasail Guy At The Park This Year, 600ft Ride 69.00 Awsome Site 600 Ft In The Air..... Everone Is Correct About The Water, Sunken Island In The Middle Of The Lower Lake, Stay North Of Treasure Island The Channel Between Island And Land Is Narrow But 15Ft Deep, And One Other Thing, Take The Boat Out To Fuel..... Gas On The Lake Was 2.49 Per Gallon Hotels Are In Houghton...
Houghton Average Depth Is 20 Feet And Fun Of Grass This Year, Lots Of Motor Burned Up This Year, Keep You Water Inlet Clear....
You Have To Be At The Launch Before 10:00am To Get In, They Do Fill Up Fast On The Weekends....

Jeff
Old 08-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Registered

Default 290PQ

290Pq, Do You Tow With A White Ford Bronco????? I Launch At The DNR West Side And Have Seen A 290 Power Quest There.... I Have A Crownline 225Br White W/Red Strip..... Name: High Bidder

Jeff

Quick Reply: Another mi boat trip,Higgins?Houghten?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.