Any advice about trading boats in? >

Any advice about trading boats in?

Notices

Any advice about trading boats in?

Old 08-16-2002, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem i run into when i try to trade..........Retail for the new toy
Wholesale for my toy...........all they want to talk about is how much payment. smoke and mirrors and fuzzy math is how most
seem to do biz...........
Old 08-16-2002, 08:47 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Too Old , he's right.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell it yourself and ask a reasonable price, You will do better than trading it in. I just sold my cat for 85k and probably could have got 90k, but it made selling it easier just to come down the 5k. I still did better than I would have on a trade.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:52 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

JUST ONE<<< DONT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2002, 03:03 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sell it yourself if you can. As a dealer/broker I personally can tell you that I was probably a little better than some others when I would look at a deal involving a trade as 1 deal as where others would look at it as two. The first being the sale of the new boat, and the second the sale of the trade. Both sales would need to make a certain margin as set forth by management.

If you want to find out where you stand as far as your trade is concerned call around and ask different dealers and brokers what they personally would right a check for at that time. And emphasis not now, but right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your trade # won't be too terribly different I am suspecting.

Sean
Old 08-17-2002, 04:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks everyone, that's pretty much what I figuered. I have been through the "grind" with cars many times. I would love to step up in size for the right deal.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:56 AM
Registered

There is some good advice above.

Settle on a cash price for the boat first. No financing, no trade.

When you bring your trade in - make sure it has been scrubbed / maintained with a toothbrush. A sparkling clean boat is always worth more (And the dealer won't have to pay someone else to do it).

That being said - the dealer does have to make a profit. I have always been able to sell my boats privately but you do have to wait a few months.

Good Luck!

Steve
Old 08-17-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Any advice about trading boats in?

Originally posted by skygod
Never traded a boat in before, any stories good and bad you wish to share? It seems like most dealers do not like taking trades.
Carl,
I guess this depends on your timeframe. If you aren't in a hurry, take the time to sell it yourself--like someone said, ask a reasonable price and you will get more $$ for the boat than trading it in. I bought my 27' Warlock new in 1998, (paid $58K out the door) used it for 3 full years and sold it for $50k, because I took the time to sell it myslef. All the dealers told me it was worth maybe $43K, then they get their usual 5%-10% comission.
Have a survey done on the boat with your prospective buyer--you can split the cost of it. This will protect you and the buyer at a later date, just in case there is a problem.
I'm curious to what you are looking at now???? You really should check out the 33' Powerplay! How big of a boat are you thinking??
Good luck,
Gerard
Old 08-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey Gerard,
How ya been? It seems like you were gone from the board awhile. I just started posting again, I was primarily lurking. I have been thinking about many different boats. My short list is a 32 Fountain Fever, a 3100 American Offshore, used 32 Skater, 33 Scarab, 33 Outlaw. I am looking for 80 mph on 502's, a cabin and room for 5-6 in the cockpit. I wasn't sure if I liked feeding my twins, but I realized you can go alot farther at 3500 rpm than WOT. The bottom line is I am not sure. My favorites so far are the beak, and the two cats.
Are you gonna be out for the races tomorrow?
Old 08-18-2002, 02:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Carl,
Iv'e been around, just really busy lately. Good luck with whatever you buy. I'm going to miss the races tomorrow, I am going to Florida early in the morning for a family matter. Be back on Tuesday. DSM has a real nice 33' Outlaw for sale and it has more cockpit space than a friggin 50' Sea Ray!! You should check it out.

Quick Reply: Any advice about trading boats in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.