Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Be Careful On Great Lakes, 2 Fatal Crashes. Debris? >

Be Careful On Great Lakes, 2 Fatal Crashes. Debris?

Notices

Be Careful On Great Lakes, 2 Fatal Crashes. Debris?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Dave, I am very sorry to here. This has gotta be a tough one to work through...,
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 I'm so sorry for the family an friends. Prayers still being sent.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sad times. It's easy to over look the cold water conditions with the weather breaking, I now will have a routine when I boat in cold waters up at Erie regardless of the outside temp. Sorry for your loss Dave.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Dave,

I know it's tough. We are so sorry to hear about this accident.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW so so sad and so sorry. No words... Gods speed
Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Condolences to all the families and friends!

My boat is still shrinked wrapped for another week or two, with rain and debris floating down the Detroit River, why bother. Seen a dead head the other day floating down the river, be safe guys.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
They found the body of the Lake St. Clair accident too. Everyone died in both accidents so I guess we will never know what happened.

I think (in my mind anyway) i have a good understanding of what happened here in lake Erie. My thoughts, they were coming in from the lake in 2-3's into a headwind and may have swerved to avoid some debris (this time of year plenty of it) and soft rolled the boat on the steep back side of a wave (here they are steep and close together) as the boat settled with its occupants underneath the disorientation and the rush of cold water made it difficult to gain control and get to the surface. The girls had life vests on which would have made it tough to swim down and out as well as that cold shock affect that forces you to exhale, the boat also had rod holders down each side that were full that may have acted as a sort of a cage to the occupants.*When they found the two girls they had passed away of drowning with no evidence of trauma. in the days after the accident they had found Bryans shoes and one of Andys shoes washed up on a beach. I was talking to my mom about this fact this morning. When Dean and I rolled the race boat in St Clair a couple years ago that was one of the things that became apparent to me real fast, you cannot swim in street shoes. We got out from under the boat without issue but when I took my breathing rig out of my mouth I faltered at the surface and could not get a good breath. I could not keep my head at the surface very well wearing tennis shoes and when I did I got a lung full of fuel and water that made it even worse. it literally went from fine to nearly drowing in a second all because I blew out my mouth piece before blowing my vest. I think Bryan and Andrew made an effort but with the bitter cold water and full winter gear on it was just to much. These people had all the right stuff that day, the right boat the right gear and the right knowledge. I consider my self over prepared for a lot of things on my boat but it really makes me rethink some things.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered

I know what you mean Dave. I was thrown from a boat 20 years ago. Had to take off my shoes to swim. I now wear flip flops. Sorry again for everyone involved in this tragedy.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

thanks, just heard they found the last one.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear about this Dave. Reading about how well prepared they were it kinda makes you think that it was their time. You can make all the preparations in the world, but if it's your time, it's your time. Hang in there. You and their families are in my thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.