Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another irresponsible boater video >

Another irresponsible boater video

Notices

Another irresponsible boater video

Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 575 Likes on 238 Posts

That fatal boat accident in Marco Island Florida referred back the previous page was a total freak accident ' I do not think life jackets would have saved the ones that perished.

I was there that day an hour before it happened

All I can say is that boat must have has some type of delamination problem in the hull sides and it had a total failure that day./

The Owner /driver could have never seen that coming from a zillion miles away considering the size and history and quality of the boat and that days conditions which were flat calm.

Just an unusual set of circumstances led to the fatalities that day.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Another irresponsible boater not wearing their life jackets....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JExRlnCdMKs
Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 575 Likes on 238 Posts

Back in the good old days they used to race 500 miles across the gulf stream to the Bahamas and return non stop. No helicopters no support boats and back in the day no bolsters.. Maybe helmets if some chose to wear them.

I grew up in 55 mph offshore boats hanging on for dear life not behind the wheel.Had a few close ones but I lived . Did a few bust thrru the breakers on Lake Michigan back in the day while my older wiser brother was driving that made that Donzi vid in Ca look like nothing.. We usaully had 40 mph of speed and if we jumped 30 feet that was as far as i could count . thank god we were in a heavily built offshore boat ( still fractured down the whole side at the waterline} No BS been there done that .

Hold on

local weather newsman in my town of Naples unfortunately was bicycling and hit a stop sign and fell and hit his head on a curb. Now everyone and their brother here is advocating for helmets when on a bike..

Chit is going to happen. Ask baronmarine on this forum how fast an innocent move can change your life.

Last edited by tommymonza; 04-24-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Kids on my boat wear jackets, at the same time the only one young really was the kid in back, the rest mid teens or older, calm waters, big boat, fast for how long in a straight line? not ttoo long, I dont see real issue here... and the comment about "he put lanyard on thinking he can get thrown out, not worried about others" was dumb, he wore it probably out of habit, I doubt he actually though something can happen, sure things can happen but lets face it the conditions were not even close to that, yes a helmet COULD break... that is such a rare case in these conditions, you guys fin d any reason to bash someone here, its insane...

I am with the guy that said lets video all boats and pick it apart, I bet not one person here is PERFECT.... not one....

At the same time when we do poler runs and run the boats hard the women stay off the super fast boats and no kids allowed...

Pick your battles!!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't think it's unreasonable that over 60 or so people should be seated or securely standing in a bolster, I'm not sure why there's some on here declaring their "rights" are in violation. It's the WATER, not some dumbass highway, I think most on here have been around long enough to know that it just takes a wake, certain wave to get a bit harder of a hit.

The dude's not trimming the bow down and doing stupid turns or anything like that so it's not the end of the world, but life preservers for the young ones and secure seating/standing for all is not an unreasonable action if you're going to romp on it a bit.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't like the fact that the kid in front could easily bash his teeth out. But, he's not my kid. If I let everything I saw in life bother me I would be pissed off and exhausted every day.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I forgot about the kid between dash yea that's not smart for sure.... But again... Everyone picks everyone apart and like the other guy said if we said something about all stupid stuff we see we would always be *****ing !!!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I don't like the fact that the kid in front could easily bash his teeth out. But, he's not my kid. If I let everything I saw in life bother me I would be pissed off and exhausted every day.
I'm not going to bash the video. I will say that if I were lucky enough to have a son who loved boating like that kid in front that he would be wearing a life-line vest. He did look like he had done this before and was holding on tight but since he didn't have a proper seat he'd have been vested up. It's great to see the smile on that boy's face. He's a keeper.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opinions ar like A holes everyone has one, most stink, and we usually like our own more than others.
Maybe im a ***** but that marco island story made me shudder.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick Google search revealed that Maryland law says that any child 13 or under MUST wear a pfd, so the kid in the back, who appears under the age of 13, not wearing one is a problem for me. I think the captain was being responsible overall by trying to check on his passengers. Looking at the riding position of the older kid in front, who appears to have ridden there before, it appears that the cabin hatch is left open. That could be troublesome because one freak hit off a wave or an unexpected wake and he would unintentionally dive belowdecks. Agree with most of you, though. I've seen much worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.