Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Welding external block cracks ? >

Welding external block cracks ?

Notices

Welding external block cracks ?

Old 08-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Welding external block cracks ?

Fellas, what are the pro's and con's of brazing or welding this external water jacket crack? Don't be shy!

As you can tell from the pic. my buddies '87 OMC 5.0L block didn't fare too well in it's last Wyoming winter. The engine's pulled, we're contemplating brazing the crack and pressure testing. If she passes the pressure test, then well put her back in, that if it's a feasible option. Otherwise, it's a new bare or short block, alot more work and a few more $$$$....

Lemme know what ya think...
Attached Thumbnails Welding external block cracks ?-pic00017.jpg  
Old 08-15-2002, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy block crack

never seen it done sucsesfully a 5.0 bare block is relitivly cheep good luck. Charlie
Old 08-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Bo Knows

I,ve never admitted to this before but 4 years ago a friend brought his boat over with a crack in the block that looked just like yours and it was also from not winterizing properly. It was an older boat and he said he was going to junk it if I couldn't fix it real cheap. I used a small dremel to grind the rough burrs off the exposed section of metal that popped out and then banged it back into place with a hammer. I then lathered on a generous portion of J-B weld. He's still driving this boat around, happy as a clam !!

Bo knows , and now everyone else does too !

Old 08-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with Bo. Go with the JB weld if he is looking to go cheap. It is worth a try. I would think that getting the block hot enough to weld properly you are likely to either crack it more or cause the block to be redecked and what not.

Jon
Old 08-15-2002, 11:18 PM
Registered

welding cast iron is a little tricky, but for a real welder, its not to bad, if the boat is a keeper, replace the block, if not check out your options
Old 08-15-2002, 11:27 PM
Registered

i recently had this same problem
the previous owner of my boat didn't winterize it properly and i got stuck with the repercussions
he had the crack welded and needless to say it cracked again. i pulled the motor and took it to my engine builder and he said don't even bother trying to save this block, its junk. BTW my crack wasn't nearly as bad as your buds.
good luck

Russ
Old 08-16-2002, 04:18 AM
Registered

I am with Bo. It is worth a try, I have a buddy that did this and the boat is still running strong. what are you out for trying besides alittle time.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I`ve used JB Weld on cracked blocks before and it always worked for me too!
Old 08-16-2002, 07:15 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have seen the JB weld thing done myself,,,, just be sure to stop drill holes at the ends of the crakes to relieve them.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Better pull the intake and look inside. Drill the ends of the cracks, wire wheel and clean with alcohol (or drink it), weld up what you can and cover with JB Weld. Don't run it hard until the temps come up and stabilize. Seen several JB boats run for years. Probably get by with it if no cracks on the inside. If you go this route verify bilge pump is in working order and carry a topsider oil change and some oil and filter on board. You may want to change the T-stat as well.

Tim T.

Quick Reply: Welding external block cracks ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.