Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for opinions on trailer brakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/312039-looking-opinions-trailer-brakes.html)

kaama82 05-08-2014 11:23 AM

Looking for opinions on trailer brakes

Which do you guys prefer? Hydraulic or electric? Candidate is a tri axle steel trailer with brakes on 2 axles.

SS930 05-08-2014 11:36 AM

Electric over hydraulic is the way to go.

With something as light as a 32 Skater, even surge brakes work well and are less hassle. I'm not a fan of straight electric brakes for marine use.

WARPARTY36 05-08-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 4118957)
Electric over hydraulic is the way to go.

The ONLY way to go.

cigrocket 05-08-2014 11:41 AM

+1 I would never have a trailer without them again. With 3 axles, and the right setup, they stop my dually as well as the trailer.

Sydwayz 05-08-2014 01:18 PM

I've only towed a couple of (horse & equipment) trailers with electric brakes; never a boat trailer. Some say they work fine for such.
Comparing similar 10-12K loads of Electric to EoH trailer brakes, EoH stops better in my experience.

EoH is THE BEST money you will spend on your towing setup, hands down.

Speedracer29 05-08-2014 02:01 PM

EoH is the preferred way to go, but 9 out of ten cheap bassturds agree- hydraulic surge brakes will get the job done.

RT930turbo 05-08-2014 05:03 PM

Eoh is the best option, but I've run electrics on boat trailers no problem. I don't understand some of the hype around why they "won't" work. Electric brakes are nothing more than a magnet that is energized by 12V. Much less to go wrong than any hydraulic setup, and they are dirt cheap, especially if you already have surge drums.

huskyrider 05-08-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Speedracer29 (Post 4119034)
EoH is the preferred way to go, but 9 out of ten cheap bassturds agree- hydraulic surge brakes will get the job done.

My buddy has those surge brakes and it scares the living $hit out of me when he hits the brakes with the abruptness of engagement.
He told me you'll get used to it, LOL!!!
EoverH is the best by a long shot.

See ya,
Kelly

kaama82 05-09-2014 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by RT930turbo (Post 4119135)
Eoh is the best option, but I've run electrics on boat trailers no problem. I don't understand some of the hype around why they "won't" work. Electric brakes are nothing more than a magnet that is energized by 12V. Much less to go wrong than any hydraulic setup, and they are dirt cheap, especially if you already have surge drums.

I'm with you on that. My Loadmaster trailer has electric brakes and they worked perfect while I owned that trailer. I purchased everything to convert to electric, but now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I will spend the coin on EoH setup??????

RT930turbo 05-09-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by kaama82 (Post 4119471)
I'm with you on that. My Loadmaster trailer has electric brakes and they worked perfect while I owned that trailer. I purchased everything to convert to electric, but now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I will spend the coin on EoH setup??????

If you have all the parts, it go ahead with the electrics. To go EOH I would go to disc brakes too to get he most benefit. IMO For the $$$ it's not worth it if you already have the parts.