Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sad sad PWC accident - 4 yr old girl killed. >

Sad sad PWC accident - 4 yr old girl killed.

Notices

Sad sad PWC accident - 4 yr old girl killed.

Old 08-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sad sad PWC accident - 4 yr old girl killed.

http://www.ok.bc.ca/story.html?story...h=woods%20lake

I'm the last one to think we need more laws, but for God's sake, renting a 60 mph craft to anyone with a pulse is just a bad idea.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the rentals should be speed limited to 30mph
I been jetsking since 92 and have a stand up
only goes 43mph which is plenty quick
I think 30mph would allow boats to react to the ski movements
a little better. dont get me wrong I love speed
I would take out a fast ski on a weekday when traffic is down
I spend a lot of time looking around to make sure of surrounding
traffic and always give boats the right of way.
TRAINING is a must!
Old 08-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How sad, The loss of such a little one. I'm not big on new laws either because I don't believe you can stop all accidents just by comming up with some new law. Seems to me putting a govener or something on them may help but in this case I don't think it would have mattered much. If someone puts his head down to talk to his little girl and hits a boat then it sounds to me he was way to close to another boater anyway. I'm afraid a govener or a new law isn't going to make people any more aware of their surroundings. Just a damn shame
Old 08-19-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh mannnnnnn, I can tell you that these accidents with small children hit real close to home. I will be hugging my two healthy children extra tight tonight and be thankful.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:06 PM
ronrally

Default Same old story, or is it...

It's the same story so often. Even the people who take safety training are not immuned to the hypnotising effect of the PWC. Next time you see a swarm of them jumping wakes, pay attention and you'll notice the same thing over and over. At first they seem cautions, with their head up and checking about. And then within a few minutes, they've become so wrapped up in the water 10 feet in front of them that they loose their bearings. The craziest thing that I see time and time again is the dude on the PWC that cuts across the back of a tour boat. Does it ever occur that there will eventually be a bigger badder boat coming across the same wake from the other side at 100 mph?

The funniest thing that I've ever heard is that "PWC's are not toys". That's quite a notion. Just what exactly is a boat built for one person with over 100 horse power. You can't exactly use it as a tugboat!

They're awsome. But, please pay attention.

That's my two cents. Please send check or money order for 26 cents and I'll mail you my whole brain

Old 08-19-2002, 08:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had multiple accidents this year on the Bay involving small children. None on PWC. One was a 1 year old on a 16 foot boat with 5 other people Dad forgot to pull the anchor and tried to take off, boat flipped and everyone went in the water, the baby's 4 year old sibling found her.

My point is that the type of craft and it's speed means nothing, someone will always do something stupid or careless no matter what water craft are involved. Per capita death rates are much higher for canoes and small rowboats than for PWC.

And remember one thing-if they can demonize the PWC enough and get rid of them-performance boats are next. Of that I have NO DOUBT
Old 08-19-2002, 08:58 PM
ronrally

Default Power boats are next...

Ted,

I agree. It seems that the issue is always the smoking gun and never the dip-sh*t who pulled the trigger.

I had a Honda Big Red 3-wheeler ATV when they first came out. I remember the debate for the first few years. I won't lie to you. They were about as nice to handle as a shopping cart full of water-logged bowling balls. The few clowns that thought it would be fun to jump them broke their necks. Sounds like natural selection to me.

Anyway, they banned them, a few years passed, people started to realized that the 4-wheelers weren't so bad, because they accepted them for what they were. It never had anything to do with the fact that the 3-wheelers had one less wheel. It just took a while for the focus to move. People still die every day on the 4-wheelers. Guess what... people die everyday in cars. Guess we better all ride horses again, just to be safe. Wonder how Christopher Reeves feels about that?

Later.
Ronny