Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why do we not have an x cat circuit in the states? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/312745-why-do-we-not-have-x-cat-circuit-states.html)

CrazyClyde 05-23-2014 11:14 PM

Why do we not have an x cat circuit in the states?

I absolutely love watching the x cat, and would love to race them. Why is there not a circuit in the U.S.

ItsPeanut 05-24-2014 07:38 AM

I also enjoy xcat but do we really need another racing organization.

AB From Windsor 05-24-2014 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut (Post 4127221)
I also enjoy xcat but do we really need another racing organization.

I have to agree! What we really need is everyone racing together under one banner, although I know it is a just a dream but they say that dreams can come true.

Jupiter Sunsation 05-24-2014 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor (Post 4127224)
I have to agree! What we really need is everyone racing together under one banner, although I know it is a just a dream but they say that dreams can come true.

Even if that occurred you still won't have the fan base of Nascar.......boat racing is dead balls boring from a spectator standpoint (watching from land) and with all the different classes some people would have trouble following who is winning/in the lead. Televise it and it might be more interesting to spectators (commentary, the ability to follow the leader(s), etc).

X-cat will just further dilute the racing sponsor dollars that are already in short supply.

TYPHOON 05-24-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor (Post 4127224)

APBA should run all the offshore racing in the USA period !!!!

HabanaJoe 05-24-2014 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TYPHOON (Post 4127257)

Like it used to be on a National level and the local organization participated

extras 05-24-2014 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by TYPHOON (Post 4127257)

APBA just made up a class for a boat after a world record run. I was always told you make a boat for a class and not a class for a boat. You want these guys running everything?

TYPHOON 05-24-2014 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by extras (Post 4127265)
APBA just made up a class for a boat after a world record run. I was always told you make a boat for a class and not a class for a boat. You want these guys running everything?

I agree 100% that was a bad call on there part. With that being said I do believe that someone other than the 3 remaining orgs should run the whole thing with divisions and EVERYONE has the same rules. Its a dream and a lot of selfish people will not allow this to happen.

AB From Windsor 05-24-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4127248)
Even if that occurred you still won't have the fan base of Nascar.......boat racing is dead balls boring from a spectator standpoint (watching from land) and with all the different classes some people would have trouble following who is winning/in the lead. Televise it and it might be more interesting to spectators (commentary, the ability to follow the leader(s), etc).

X-cat will just further dilute the racing sponsor dollars that are already in short supply.

I agree and disagree. You are right that it does not have the fan base of Nascar.

I disagree that boat racing is dead balls boring from a spectators standing watching from land. I find it exciting and unlike Nascar and most other racing sports it is FREE to spectators in most cases. Nascar and boat racing are totally different for many reasons the biggest being the sponsors which have the means to advertise and to promote races through the media with T.V. coverage of Nascar which is great and then there is boat racing that really has no major networks to step up and put boat racing on T.V., the best we can do for Offshore Powerboat Racing is a live feed coverage on our computer, it is better than nothing but no comparison to Nascar.

I have never gone to a Nascar Race before and really can't say too much about it but I do watch it on T.V. and enjoy the great coverage of it along with Formula 1 Racing and Grand Prix Racing. It's all about big money sponsorship to promote the race and to have T.V. coverage which is almost none existing in boat racing.

I agree that people do have trouble following all the classes but where can they go with their family and friends for a weekend or day to watch the boyz battling it out on the water, for FREE?

When you talk about boring watching them race from land I don't see it, unless they are too far away from shore on a Lake or Ocean, that the spectators don't really get to see them. I love watching the St. Clair River Classic and the Port Huron/Sarnia International race on the St. Clair River and on a short course so I can see them coming around more often. I found it boring when they races in the Lake and you really couldn't see them untill they came back in, fans want to be close to the race action, just like Nascar.

Where I also disagree with you that boat racing is boring if watching from land. Ever try watching Tennis, boring and not exciting to watch on T.V. but yet it is still on T.V., Golf is boring to me to watch someone hitting a little ball on the grass or in the water for 18 holes, to me it is boring but still on T.V.. I find Sailing Yacht Races very boring and you can't really see them from land but they do have great T.V.coverage and why, the big money sponsors. I have nothing against these sports but to me they are all boring but still on T.V.. I don't have the answers but to me OPA has done a great job bringing boat racing to us fans and for FREE as well as APBA who have been around for a long time. The new Super Cat Class is extremely exciting and is doing well, we just need to see them at more races adn promote it better. As a boat racing fan watching from land I can't wait to go to the boring boat races as they are already marked in my calendar. Happy Memorial Day to all.

HabanaJoe 05-24-2014 07:05 PM

AB there is something within what you said that just struck me - those other sports no matter how boring (I agree golf - just shoot me!) are all paid spectator sports, Sailing I know like boat racing is free but the others are pay to attend sports. Getting into or being able to watch something for free brings the entertainment value of it down. Not saying you should or could ever charge but it just hit me.

I've gone to the Miami Marine Stadium with my father to watch boats race years ago, that was a pay to attend event and it was nice to sit in a grandstand environment. There is something about being in a crowd to watch something that you just don't have in "offshore" racing. I hear people say "Look at the crowd on the beach" - but how many are there to go to the beach and a race happens to be running OR a man takes his family to the beach to watch the races but really out of the 4 people in his group only 3 really care about watching boats?

I know you know this but the APBA was the one governing body and it was broken into national and divisional classes (sportsman). The regional organizations all followed the APBA Sportsman rules so like I did, could go anywhere in the country and race a National or Regional race with a Sportsman class boat in the same class against like boats.